Lack of 1/6 figures for Japanese cartoons

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot toys does great anime figures when ever they get around to doing them...few and far between but really nice

You mean like City Hunter, Gorgo-13, Appleseed and Captain Harlock? Was there anything else?
You shouldn't count Kerberos or Game figures (Metal Gear) as Anime figures - because they are....NOT.

Anyhow, I personally think Hot toys put a wrong guy in charge in Japan division. Maybe he has some language skills like Chinese/Japanese/English or friend with Howard Chan, but certainly don't have good marketing skill or item selection skill.

You mean like City Hunter, Gorgo-13, Appleseed and Captain Harlock? Was there anything else?
You shouldn't count Kerberos or Game figures (Metal Gear) as Anime figures - because they are....NOT.

Anyhow, I personally think Hot toys put a wrong guy in charge in Japan division. Maybe he has some language skills like Chinese/Japanese/English or friend with Howard Chan, but certainly don't have good marketing skill or item selection skill.

don't think they have a call in which figure to make. they are more on sales & contract negotiations.

20th Century Boy's Friend, i think that's it. might have some other older stuffs before they were known as Hot Toys.

I have the original two Evangelion figures. I can understand the lack of appeal. Never bought another. It just seems weird. Inuyasha and Sailor Moon were huge over there.

Funny, they did do all of that. I forgot they did. Of course, nobody knows about city hunter, really. Too obscure to Americans.

I have the original two Evangelion figures. I can understand the lack of appeal. Never bought another. It just seems weird. Inuyasha and Sailor Moon were huge over there.

Maybe have to do with Copyrights, since Sailor Moon always associated with Bandai.

Why can't Kerberos be counted as an anime figure?

also keep in mind anime and manga thats really popular here may not be in Japan/Hk etc. like Cowboy Bebop i have been told wasnt that popular in Japan no-where near the fandom it has here.

Well with a new Vampire Hunter D series coming soon I hope Hot Toys will make a 1/6 figure of D. That would be amazing! Especially after seeing what they did with Captain Harlock! We'll probably end up with Medicom though :/

hqdefault.jpg

a new vamp hunt D eyyyyyyy? news to me, awesome.:clap

loved bloodlust, havent seen in yrs so no idea if it will hold up but loved it when i first saw it way back.

because it's not. Only Jin-Roh is cartoon, rest are live action movies, or comic, and the fact HT didn't use any original design and came out their own design with a live person face means, it's not a cartoon character.

I cant stress this enough but Hot toys are not going to do anything anime ever. There priority right now and since 2010 has been nothing but pretty much marvel and now star wars. Hot toys may be a good company but they don't broaden there range like they use to anymore those days are done.

I cant stress this enough but Hot toys are not going to do anything anime ever. There priority right now and since 2010 has been nothing but pretty much marvel and now star wars. Hot toys may be a good company but they don't broaden there range like they use to anymore those days are done.

they can, at the expense of lower quality products. look at sideshow which is a much bigger company than HT, their range are even narrower.

don't think they have a call in which figure to make. they are more on sales & contract negotiations.
Maybe have to do with Copyrights, since Sailor Moon always associated with Bandai.
they can, at the expense of lower quality products. look at sideshow which is a much bigger company than HT, their range are even narrower.
Bandai, Medicom and other Japanese toy companies have some ties, Probably hard to break in, I guess.
However, it could have been much better if Hot toys had a more knowledgeable director and more aggressive marketing strategy. They just made some bad choices for first few figures.

because it's not. Only Jin-Roh is cartoon, rest are live action movies, or comic, and the fact HT didn't use any original design and came out their own design with a live person face means, it's not a cartoon character.
20th Century Boy's Friend, i think that's it. might have some other older stuffs before they were known as Hot Toys.
Technically, Kerberos is Live-action Concept figure. They also had Kamui figures from Live action film.

Funny, they did do all of that. I forgot they did. Of course, nobody knows about city hunter, really. Too obscure to Americans.
The thing is that City Hunter was huge in Hong-Kong before it became part of China) My guess is that it was Howard Chan's personal favorite license. It wasn't so big elsewhere - And they made a bad assumption about the sales - and it ended up in bargain bin - probably gave Hot toys the idea 'stay away from Anime figures'

If HT did One Piece 1/6 characters it would kill my wallet.
I remember some 3rd party made 2 figures (live-action version of Sanji and Zorro) and didn't do well. Hot toys wouldn't make that type of toon characters. Can you imagine they make 1/6 Simpsons figure line?

also keep in mind anime and manga that's really popular here may not be in Japan/Hk etc. like Cowboy Bebop i have been told wasnt that popular in Japan no-where near the fandom it has here.
That's why they need a marketing director who knows what's popular and where in Anime licenses and control the sales expectation..etc.
In US, for example, Ninja Scroll and Voltron was popular. In Japan, they weren't so hot.
In Europe, Go Nagai robot series was huge, but not in US.

Bandai, Medicom and other Japanese toy companies have some ties, Probably hard to break in, I guess.
However, it could have been much better if Hot toys had a more knowledgeable director and more aggressive marketing strategy. They just made some bad choices for first few figures.

Technically, Kerberos is Live-action Concept figure. They also had Kamui figures from Live action film.

The thing is that City Hunter was huge in Hong-Kong before it became part of China) My guess is that it was Howard Chan's personal favorite license. It wasn't so big elsewhere - And they made a bad assumption about the sales - and it ended up in bargain bin - probably gave Hot toys the idea 'stay away from Anime figures'

I remember some 3rd party made 2 figures (live-action version of Sanji and Zorro) and didn't do well. Hot toys wouldn't make that type of toon characters. Can you imagine they make 1/6 Simpsons figure line?

That's why they need a marketing director who knows what's popular and where in Anime licenses and control the sales expectation..etc.
In US, for example, Ninja Scroll and Voltron was popular. In Japan, they weren't so hot.
In Europe, Go Nagai robot series was huge, but not in US.

City Hunter is pretty well known around Asia, even Europe, maybe not USA & Canada, things like Golgo 13, Space Adventure Cobra, Crying Freeman are quite popular in Europe, along with City Hunter, which has similar type of main character (Womanizer/Goofy (except Golgo/Freeman & occasionally Serious/Romantic/Guns)

The thing is City Hunter came out real bad, nothing like either the Cartoon or Comic, the outfit for Ryo is good and the goofy face, but the normal face is totally off, the lady figure is even off & the outfit is just bad.

For One Piece, I don't know, it feels like Dragonball, not that great as a 1/6 display, good for smaller scales.

that kerberos is based on a japanese radio drama taking place durin ww2. its the original kerberos armor, before the one we know off seen in the anime. the design existed prior to HT doin it i think.

I was just waiting for someone to make 1/6 figures from Dragon Ball Super since it is a new series and looks like it may be around longer than expected. I'd love for it to be Hot Toys but after seeing their Ninja Turtles I'd love for Mondo to take a crack at it.

that kerberos is based on a japanese radio drama taking place durin ww2. its the original kerberos armor, before the one we know off seen in the anime. the design existed prior to HT doin it i think.

I think, the WW2 drama happened after modern Kerberos, timeline yes WW2 was before modern Kerberos.

Back