Kotobukiya 1/10 Super Powers figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PharOOO

Super Freak
Reaction score
Cool Toy Review Photo Archive

A new line of Super Powers based design figures of the original 1980s collection. Prototypes of Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Batman and Robin were shown. Also, mentioned but not shown are Hawkman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman.

2niweol.jpg

So wait, do they have 5 points of articulation?

EDIT: Never mind. I read the box/card back.

Looks that way. The originals just had elbow articulation. Just the head, arms, hips, and knees.

Hey DiFabs, can you do your Photoshop magic and color Batman in please? I'm really curious to see Batman in color. Thanks!

1/10? why not 1/6 like the other jumbo figures?

Head looks pinheaded. Original figure didn't look like that.

Apparently Gentle Giant will be doing the jumbo, 1/6 scale versions, so I'm guessing they locked that license up. And agreed about the head size. They are more reminiscent of the Super Powers Burger King cup holders than the articulated figures. Odd to try and capitalize on the nostalgia in some ways, yet take artistic liberty with the sculpts. As a result, they lose a lot of their charm, IMO. Might as well just call this a generic line of classic DC superheroes.

Of all the nostalgia based renditions of Super Powers recently, these are the ones I find the most interesting. Depending on how much Kotobukiya wants to charge for these, I'm interested in all 8 so far.

These are not looking as good as I hoped they would. Not impressed. The fake 'articulated' joints really throw these off. A stylized action pose would have been better for these.

Agreed, Jay. Imo, their heart was in the right place (and all the love 'Super Powers' is getting lately is great), but they went about it all wrong imo. Statues based on the Jose Garcia Lopez card art of all the figures would have blown me away and been instant buys.

For me when I think DC Comics, they are the go to images in my mind as the iconic represenations of the characters. With some 90's desgins coming in second, since I grew up with those as well.

But I would love an idea like that, since they also had iconic posing with the art. GL charging his battery, Flash running, Superman flying, etc

To be honest, if the tag line "Super Powers" wasn't attached too them, you wouldn't really make the connection. Still very nice sculpts, nut the Gentle Giant ones are spot on.

Joey

All the 1/10 Koto stuff comes out looking too anime for my tastes. These will probably be no different. Superman and Batman are not Asian.

I want them to have the c-clip for the capes like the originals. :lol

I will probably get a couple to display at work.

Man, I always broke those C clips when I was a kid. My figures always ended up being capeless from taking them on and off.

1/10 scale huh?

If these were 1/6, I'd probably use the Batman head for a Neal Adams custom figure.

No use for these otherwise really..

Agreed, Jay. Imo, their heart was in the right place (and all the love 'Super Powers' is getting lately is great), but they went about it all wrong imo. Statues based on the Jose Garcia Lopez card art of all the figures would have blown me away and been instant buys.

agreed. The JGL art is still what draws me to the super powers line. just the ultimate in classic DC.

To be honest, if the tag line "Super Powers" wasn't attached too them, you wouldn't really make the connection. Still very nice sculpts, nut the Gentle Giant ones are spot on.

Joey

Well said Joey. This line has some potential, but now we see what they are. There's nothing much Super Powers about them. A real shame.

Back