Kong: Skull Island <<SPOILERS>>

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait to enjoy the cinematography on Blu Ray, this film was a delight in theaters, the digital copy I've had for a while is not pure HD so it's sufficed compared to a cam recording, but I'm excited to have the pure movie, plus no Asian subs.

No one remembers that monster lol

Most of the audience under 30 seeing this movie probably haven't even watched the '33 film, let alone remember a 1 minute shown creature :lol

In this thread, in this community, I'm supposed to believe no one cares about a 3 second background character? :lol

But I do believe no ones now cares about black-and-white movies from the 30's. I only noticed myself because they aired the old Kong on AMC and I hadn't seen it in about 30+ years or more. I think I'm good now with '33 Kong... for life.

In this thread, in this community, I'm supposed to believe no one cares about a 3 second background character? :lol

But I do believe no ones now cares about black-and-white movies from the 30's. I only noticed myself because they aired the old Kong on AMC and I hadn't seen it in about 30+ years or more. I think I'm good now with '33 Kong... for life.

When Kong 2005 came out, they released the '33 film on DVD to promote it and it was cheap so I jumped on it so I could finally see the original. I respect it for the FX they achieved back in that time, and the story is pretty solid overall, but Kong himself is not enough of a character in it for me, I grew up on the '76 Kong and that movie developed Kong himself a bit more so that's what I got used to, and PJ really took the idea furthest in his Kong.

The only part that I enjoyed in this new one was his reveal to the WW2 pilots.

The water battle was poorly executed with not so great cgi and the skull crawlers just made me want to be skull ****ed myself.

I liked how they made Kong a full on hero rather than a victim. The natives worshipped him instead of feared, his acts of aggression were always defensive. I really see Kong vs Godzilla modeling after BvsS with Kong and Godzilla both being heroes essentially and clashing under some circumstance. Legendary Kong and Godzilla have been depicted as guardians who would happily stay in a quiet corner of earth and just live out life, but will throw down in an instant when threatened.

I was actually quite surprised by '33 Kong, the movie. In its day it must have been like seeing Star Wars in '77. That world, those effects, that climax! People getting chewed up by dinosaurs while they scream bloody murder! Pretty impressive considering sound just came around 4 years prior.

One of the biggest surprises to me was when I saw that Gojira used matte pieces for FX in 1954, I thought that sort of tech came about from Star Wars so I was blown away to see what they were doing in the 50s. Hell, the animatronic Kong head from '33 is mind blowing in that you wouldn't think a studio would green light something of that level.

It's almost ironic how '33 Kong was a pioneer in FX work, yet the 2005 remake features subpar CGI for its time.

I thought that sort of tech came about from Star Wars so I was blown away to see what they were doing in the 50s.

You thought matte paintings came from Star Wars? That made me laugh. Matte painting is a pretty old-school tech. Hitchcock movies are full of them from the 50's. They go back even further, Gone with the Wind uses them and I think there's one at least in Gunga Din and those are 1939.

Well i go by the info I get about behind the scenes and especially with the SE, matte paintings and their flaws were talked up so much, it made me think it was new and cutting edge at the time, but then the Gojira Blu Ray shows the tech used to add footprints to one scene and even Godzilla's reveal. I appreciate filmmaking, especially FX, as much as films, it's wild to break down the "magic".

Well i go by the info I get about behind the scenes and especially with the SE, matte paintings and their flaws were talked up so much, it made me think it was new and cutting edge at the time, but then the Gojira Blu Ray shows the tech used to add footprints to one scene and even Godzilla's reveal. I appreciate filmmaking, especially FX, as much as films, it's wild to break down the "magic".

Almost everything in the original Star Wars was old school tech -- models, mattes, etc -- except they brought everything up to the next level with computer controlled camera movement and they could 'rotoscope' a lot better. If I remember correctly, those two things seemed to be the big "forward leaps" back in '77. Moving the camera instead of the model was a huge change in mind-set -- and being able to replicate an exact camera move. The rest was just old tech -- nothing different from 1969's '2001: A Space Odyssey".

Both Kong and JW suck.

Kong's crappy writing makes Wonder Woman look like a god damned shakespearean tyrannosaurus.
Yup.

Because the human characters were so poorly handled I needed to fall back on Kong's monster adversary to save the movie for me and that is where you and I differ, those skull crawlers were lazy creature designs just so they could save the budget to be used on Kong's hair.

Skull Crawlers will be as quickly forgotten as the kaiju from Pacific Rim.
Nah dawg, the Kaiju from Pacific Rim were still instantly recognizable with only seeing the movie once, from design, to names to even category.

PR gathered a cult following that I doubt this movie will achieve.

And yeah the skull crawlers' design was lazy, they were just dog dicks with legs.

One positive that I have for this movie is Kong, he and crazy WW2 dude were the only real and consistent characters, Kong was cool, like it's been said, I liked that he was worshiped, that we was a good guy, basically Godzilla fighting bad monsters.

Some bits of action were good, but the vast majority of it, and as a whole, the action was bad.

Knifehead, Crabby Crab, Wings Bill, What's-his-name-Tentacle Boss, Electro-Magnetic-Pulse Duder, Baby Kaiju, all very memorable with memorable names.

Onibaba was cool though, if Neca made him I'd buy him, I love crabs and octopuses.

tIbbcYu.gif

EvT0lKN.jpg

Both PR and Skull Island are meh overall.
But at least KSI has awesome Kong, funny John C. Reilly, cool deaths and the best kaiju battle of all time.
PR only had cool Rinko Kikuchi, funny Ron Perlman and awesome music by Ramin Djawadi. The rest is overhyped garbage.

Onibaba was cool though.

tIbbcYu.gif

I liked how they made Kong a full on hero rather than a victim. The natives worshipped him instead of feared, his acts of aggression were always defensive. I really see Kong vs Godzilla modeling after BvsS with Kong and Godzilla both being heroes essentially and clashing under some circumstance. Legendary Kong and Godzilla have been depicted as guardians who would happily stay in a quiet corner of earth and just live out life, but will throw down in an instant when threatened.

That's how I saw them as a kid and I still do.

I have my Kong/Godzilla blu-ray two pack on PO from Wally-mart. :yess:

Both PR and Skull Island are meh overall.
PR may be meh, KSI is bad.

But at least KSI has awesome Kong
Yeah ok, he's the only good thing in the movie.

funny John C. Reilly
Eeeeeh, he only seems funny because everything else doesn't elicit any emotion what so ever.

PR Science bros >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> John C Reilly.

cool deaths
The only cool death was the octopus' death.

and the best kaiju battle of all time.
Not even close to the the worst PR fight.

PR only had cool Rinko Kikuchi, funny Ron Perlman and awesome music by Ramin Djawadi. The rest is overhyped garbage.
And *much* better action than KSI, better shot and edited, better pace, better characters, better visuals. The only thing KSI has over PR is the acting, but what movie doesn't?

Sure it's overhyped, but if PR is overhyped, then KSI is the walking dead of "Kaiju" movies.

I know you hate PR, which is a puzzle to begin with because seems right up your alley, but you liking KSI at all, let alone over PR is just awful and you should feel bad for it, Riddick.

Back