Action Figure Knowing when to quit collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, I think it boils down to what I'm really interested in. I LOVED the force awakens, I was never into star wars but that made me into a fan, I got Kylo, after about a week I opened him up and put him on the shelf. I got Rey a few months back, the figure is actually still in the box that's on a shelf. I'll probably open her up this week just for the sake of actually doing it. But I can tell my interest in collecting isn't in human characters anymore, monsters and robots is where it's at for me. Even then the options for those in high end non statue collectible format is limited. Transformers is awesome but I don't like where Takara has taken the MP line which no longer interest me. I have what I would say is my grail character coming next year in Voltron, between the two figures and sideshows offering I'll be good with that. I might pick up a few 3P transformers to fill out my collection with my favorite characters but after that I don't know if I'll continue to pick stuff up. That coupled with the fact I want to start saving for a house I think will be enough to get me to stop collecting.

I've turned into a bargain hunter after a couple of years of collecting. Most figures drop 20% or more within a few months and only a handful appreciate. I generally have a few figures in mind that I am seeking at a particular price point, usually around 20-30% off or more. One of my favorite figures is the Tamashi C-3PO that I got at a huge discount. If I had paid retail I would feel remorse every time I looked at it.

I am not buying as an investment but I do feel a lot better if my collection holds most of its value.

Currently I'm considering quitting as the cost per figure has skyrocketed since I started a few years back, the tanking CAD doesn't help either. There are more and more figures per movie and it's near impossible to make room financially and spatially for all of them. I've finished my Avengers 1 collection, almost done with GotG (minus Drax), and have my Mark I-VII collection, plus a few odd figures here and there.

From the point on, it's gonna be a very selective process.

I've been collecting toys my whole life -- as I imagine many of us have. While I can see cutting out Hot Toys or even 1/6 at some point (way down the road), I could never imagine losing my passion for collecting really great scifi/fantasy/comicbook/Marvel/DC awesomeness. It's my jam.

Have three detolfs full with 2 3 each. Mainly 1/6 except a few statues. I'm getting closer to quitting after I get my custom jim lee wolverine done and my punisher my 1/4 samus. Its hard but space is now an issue

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I'm hanging it up with Marvel after CW. I'm going to be focusing my efforts more on the DCEU and Star Wars stuff, with some miscellaneous stuff sprinkled in. I simply don't force myself to get stuff just for the sake of getting a figure. If I want it, I get it.

7d2afb0357e2053a881d5e0ffd27cb27.jpg

4b6e33dc1e9f5271cd525dbc81eb9b75.jpg

No room wife has me on a three detolf limit worst part about collecting is the figures keep getting more and more detailed. Again 2017 is my slow down year and I'll leave one figure left after that which is a new hot toys wolf.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I'm really glad I started this thread and YOU GUYS have been GREAT! Thank you guys for responding. It's absolutely amazing what one can learn and gather from everyone's responses. So far I've read everyone's posts and I'm loving the different thought processes in regards to quitting collecting. I want to personally thank ALL of you because your responses helped a lot and it's nice to see how many of you think the same way I do. Please feel free to continue to post because I'm sure many others are contemplating whether to quit collecting and this will help them as it did me. I think this helps people look at themselves to understand why they collect and why not to collect. I'm enjoying this quite a bit!

As far as me getting out, it came down to streaming my collection to figures I really enjoy looking at. There are figures in my collection that every time I walk in my room I ALWAYS get drawn to and some I've just lost interest in, most of which I've sold. I just simply feel satisfied with what I have, and yes there will always be other figures I would like to have, but I've gotten to the point to where I'm just ready to move on because I don't love collecting as much anymore (the expense and the waiting). I love looking at other people's collections alongside chatting with you guys here on the forum. I'll still be here for a while, but it's truly GAME OVER for me after Ghostbusters and Hulkbuster!

Nice topic.

I just thought about one thing the other day.. I was collecting mostly Batman figures when I was a kid, always would ask my mom a Batman figure for my birthday and christmas. There was also a time when I would only want Star Wars figures.

Now with aging, I've had different collections of stuff, all of which I quit and sold. There was even a point when I would only collect vinyls, cd's, cassette tapes from a specific rock band (don't want to mention who here). This particular collection drove me nuts, because the more I kept collecting those vinyls & stuff, the more I ended up finding rarer and rarer and rarer stuff. I began buying $5 stuff, and at some point I would buy $500-$1000 stuff. I stopped when I was about to bid on a $10000 cassette tape (extremely rare, only one unique copy recorded by the band I was collecting the most) and realized it would never stop, there would always be a new thing to buy at a crazy price.
The craziest thing is that I would almost NEVER watch those stuff. I just knew I had them and had one of the most unique collections on the planet, I had 3 rivals on that collection. It was insane. I realized I wasn't collecting those because I loved the objects, but just to feel unique. It gives you a weird sensation of power, it's very abstract to describe. Like you're one of the very few people to have a specific item. In the end, I understood that the only important thing for me was the music, so I sold most stuff to one of my rivals (which pretended to be my friend, but after I sold him what he wanted, he vanished from my life. Sometimes I wonder how crazy he got haha).

There was another moment, later... when I had almost nothing in my home, no object, no figure, nothing. Like Tyler would say in that movie Fight Club: what you own end up owning you. I believed in that statement for a long time, and to some extent it's true. You're not owning anything for real. It can break, it can get stolen, and anyway you look at it, you won't bring them in your grave, nor will it give you anything special.

Now I've matured a bit, got older.. I don't care about the money it costs, I don't feel unique about having anything, I just care for the beauty of it, just like I care from staring to my girlfriends' eyes thinking: she is fkin beautiful. It's just a moment of pleasure. If you like a figure, it's a moment of pleasure, you look at it, and for an instant, you forget everything else, you just look at the figures, the beauty of it, the memories it gives you, the little moments you love in the movie or series it's originated from, and that's it. It's as enjoyable as eating a fine meal or anything else. It's just a moment.

So I don't see myself quitting Hot Toys, because I just buy what I really love from them. And to me they're the best toy company ever, the quality is there, I have almost nothing to complain about.
I'm not a completionist, I'm just buying all the figures I love, no matter the money. I know that IF I part with them, I will make my money back. And the money I put into it, I know that I have enough money to do anything else I enjoy in life and to make my girl happy, so it doesn't matter as much as when I was younger. If I was in the red, I would have no problem selling everything. If I get stolen, never mind, **** happens. It's not like losing a limb or someone you love, it's nothing really. Just plastic, materials.. nothing really important. But it's beautiful nonetheless. I'll just remember the good moments of staring at those great figures when it's all over.

When you feel the need to stop or quit: just do it. Sometimes you get bored, sometimes you wonder what you could've done if you spent the time and money on something else, and those are good questions. Just follow your heart and what you feel you need.

In any case, don't regret it, it's lots of memories no matter what. You also meet some people, sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not. I still have nice memories of my crazy vinyls/cd/cassette collection, it was insane and fun.

Oh and back to what I was saying at the beginning, I would only collect Batman figures when I was a kid. Funny to see I still collect (much more expensive and well made) Batman figures in 2016, ahah. Guess it's what I really love.

I think some of you overthink things. :D

I used to collect solely prop replicas and SS models. I collected everything I wanted, so I stopped. For a number of years. 1/6 figures finally made it to the quality that satisfied my wants, so started collecting again. When I have everything I want, I will stop again.

I collect things I want, not to merely accumulate a collection.

I doubt I'll ever stop collecting. There's bound to be stuff released in the future that I want and I'm not going to ditch my hobby for something arbitrary.

3 month later: HT announces Ghostbusters line along with Diecast Hulkbuster 2.0 :gah:

For when you really want your glass shelving to collapse catastrophically.

I doubt I'll ever stop collecting. There's bound to be stuff released in the future that I want and I'm not going to ditch my hobby for something arbitrary.

Things like BW's Carlito. I didn;t even know I needed this until it was announced. :D

For when you really want your glass shelving to collapse catastrophically.

Things like BW's Carlito. I didn;t even know I needed this until it was announced. :D

He always has the choice to put it on the bottom shelf or above the shelf. ;)

Yeah, that's the thing with me, too. Sometimes I don't even know I want something until I see it.

I'm definitely in for one version of every Marvel character. It kind of sucks that they haven't made Yellow Jacket, Malakeith or a TDW version of Odin. I really like the costume designs. It seems we're not gonna get a Mads Mikkelsen either.

I'm actually surprised people collect with a "end goal".

For me, as long as cool stuff is being made, I will continue.

I have been collecting SOMETHING since the late 90s; whether it was Hasbro Star Wars, Transformers, prop replicas, 1/6, or statues. I'm a collector at heart and when I feel like I am done with a particular line, I'll stop and move on to something.

Back