Know your Sculptors: Hot Toys edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep...that is an amazing head sculpt! I think K.A. Kim did Battle Damaged Robocop and that is definitely one of the best in my opinion too...Arnie Kim's Carlito...just the wrinkles around the eyes and cheeks alone make this one hall of fame worthy!

Wow this is a great thread, loved the information on the first page. Shame it died suddenly.

I'm curious, does K.A. Kim still work for Hot Toys? I know she's doing the Ghostbuster's for Blitzway so wondered if she'd left HT behind or do all these sculpt artists work freelance for multiple companies? Her work is so impressive on the Rocky and Tyler Durden figures, really can't wait for the Ghostbusters to release.

I think that she used to be officially on staff for Hot Toys but is now freelance (I think she mentioned this on either her FB or Instagram page). From her Instagram page it appears that while she is freelance she is currently taking up residence with Blitzway.

I think that she used to be officially on staff for Hot Toys but is now freelance (I think she mentioned this on either her FB or Instagram page). From her Instagram page it appears that while she is freelance she is currently taking up residence with Blitzway.

Cool, thanks. Great news for Blitzway. Hopefully she still does some HT stuff in future, her DX13 work is the best full face sculpt I have in my collection.

Not that HT doesn't have other amazing artists of course. Whoever did the recent Leto sculpts did a pretty awesome job.

I remember bein' very interested in hearin' about HT's sculptors...
Nowadays I don't care at all. They're just one big doll producin' company.

Koujin's normal Luke is still the best to date.
1. It's Kojun
2. He did all Lukes, and all of them are ok at best

I remember bein' very interested in hearin' about HT's sculptors...
Nowadays I don't care at all. They're just one big doll producin' company.

1. It's Kojun
2. He did all Lukes, and all of them are ok at best

I have to disagree with you though I appreciate your perspective...I have become very bored with a lot of the licenses that Hot Toys has been pursuing as of late and this has pushed me toward other companies. I think it is difficult to deny that the quality coming out of Hot Toys is still excellent! I may not be the biggest fan of all of the subject matter that they choose but as a fan of well made 1/6 scale action figures it is different not to appreciate what Hot Toys does from a technical standpoint. The cinema fan in me can be critical of Batman V Superman for example but my inner toy fan cannot find a single complaint with the amazing figures from Hot Toys.

KA Kim is overseeing a new team of sculptors for various companies. A recent pic shows one of them sculpting Newt Scamander for Star Ace.

KA Kim is overseeing a new team of sculptors for various companies. A recent pic shows one of them sculpting Newt Scamander for Star Ace.

Wow...that sounds cool! Do you have a link or can you point me in the right direction to check that out? Thanks for the insight!

Ask and you shall receive.
Screenshot_2017-01-30-14-56-40.jpg

If it's too small here's the link.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMNOxxwAy22/?hl=en

Ya know another amazing piece from K.A. Kim that deserves a note of recognition is one of my all time favorites the '66 Batman...I think Yulli did the Robin which is an exceptional head sculpt too...but the West Batman is amazing!

K.A. Kim previously sculpted Hermione for Star Ace...if she is working with them again this could actually spell some potentially good news for the Tarantino figures that they have the license for...

Back