Kaustic Plastik : Conan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone who might want to make an accurate 'Conan The Destroyer' version like I am doing, here's my research on the dagger. The Kaustik Plastik set is a mix of 'Destroyer' and 'Barbarian' items. It's too bad they didn't include both daggers. After I have the figure put together with the custom head and custom leather parts, (scabbards, boots, etc.) I'll have Jon DeGuzman (FullMetalCustoms) make me this movie-accurate metal dagger.

Screenshot (275).jpg

Last edited:
This composite shows what I'm aiming for. The best of both heads in one. The hair isn't quite the right color, but I might be able to 'frost' it a little lighter with some thinned acrylic.

attachment.php

I figured out how to fill the forehead depression. I used a razor knife to cut off the insert tabs from the inside of the headband, and I was able to cut it off in one piece. So, I'm going to glue that trimmed-off piece right into the forehead trench where it started out- just without the outer headband attached. It's the same vinyl material as the head, so I know it will glue in very snug. Then I just have to grind it down, fill the seams with superglue, sand/polish out the seams, and repaint.

KIMG0651.JPG

Last edited:
That looks lie a lot of work...
Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

I finished the custom head. I'm really happy with it- too bad my phone takes such crappy photos.
Now I've got the hair that I like, the quite good Arnold likeness, and the headband comes off!
I'd say this mod was definitely worth the work. (in normal room-lighting the hair is not shiny)

KIMG0659.JPG

Last edited:
Wooow!!!  Great work!!!!! You are genius!
Thank you- not a genius, I just have OCD that forces my hand. In a weird way, I owe this to Mr Toys crappy Conan set. I ordered that first. When I saw how low quality and terribly inaccurate all the parts were, that motivated me to buy the Kaustik Plastik set. So, I used the only good thing included in the Mr Toys set, which is the hair.

Great work dude, congratulations!

BTW, I saw a Conan custom on FB bu some studio called From Russia With Love or something like that, and it?s the most amazing Conan I?ve ever seen...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Great work dude, congratulations!

BTW, I saw a Conan custom on FB bu some studio called From Russia With Love or something like that, and it?s the most amazing Conan I?ve ever seen...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Thank you!
Yes, I saw the custom Conan by From Russia With Love. I'm very familiar with them; it's a company in Russia, and they are very reliable. Look them up on Facebook. I bought some things from them before. I already pre-ordered the same Conan version from Chronicle, so this is a bit frustrating. Anyway, I think I like my modded KP head better than the FRWL sculpt.

Last edited:
Very impressive work that I wish I could replicate to the head. The scabbard looks promising too. I wish the Conan set had a Battle Axe like he had in the one scene of Destroyer when he was in the palace as was fighting Dagoth. Conan looked similar to the old cornerstone loge on the marvel books.

Very impressive work that I wish I could replicate to the head. The scabbard looks promising too. I wish the Conan set had a Battle Axe like he had in the one scene of Destroyer when he was in the palace as was fighting Dagoth. Conan looked similar to the old cornerstone loge on the marvel books.
I'm having the battleaxe made in stainless steel by Jon DeGuzman soon. Hence the schematic below is hyper-specific.
zzzzz01 - FINAL - Copy.jpg
There's a funny story about the battleaxe. In 'Destroyer', at the point where Conan and his group are about to locate the secret entrance to the temple of Dagoth, they all dismount their horses and leave them behind in a rocky area. Conan's battleaxe is clearly visible, hanging on the horse's rear flank. Conan doesn't bring the axe with him as the group departs on foot.

Screenshot (244).jpg

Later, when Bombaata and Conan fight to the death, Bombaata uses the SAME prop battleaxe, just dressed-up with some leather wrappings and a small cuff of animal fur at the upper end of the handle. Conan kills Bombaata and grabs the battleaxe to use against Dagoth later.

Here is a photo of the actual prop axe, more than three decades later, totally rusted, still featuring the added leather wrappings and fur.

H3257-L45061841.jpg
My guess is that the scene outside the temple where Conan left his battleaxe behind was shot and finished, but then the script was changed. They wanted Conan to be shown with a battleaxe in one hand and his sword in the other for dramatic affect- but they had already painted themselves into a corner by showing Conan leave his own battleaxe outside with his horse, and they couldn't shoot a new scene of Conan grabbing the battleaxe off his horse and bringing it into the temple. So, *poof* now Bombaata conveniently has a very 'similar' axe for Conan to use against Dagoth... The silly thing is, they used the same prop instead of just making a new and different battleaxe.

Screenshot (247).jpg

Last edited:
Here's my custom-made 'Destroyer' scabbard.
I did the rune characters with a fine-point black marker, then weathered over them.
Now I will have Jon Deguzman make the brass tip at the end.
The thin leather flap at the top tucks under the existing belt.
Later I'll upgrade the horizontal brown trim with 6-strand braided cord.
KIMG0660.JPG

Back