Justice LEague: New Frontier

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished it and it was good. A little slow to begin with, but I enjoyed it. Wasn't a fan of the voices or how Batman was done, but Supes/GL/WW/Flash/MM/Aqua were all great. The only main critique to me was that the main villain wasn't really explained and I honestly didn't know what it was. Other than that I think you would probably enjoy it.

Honestly, maybe because I wasn't around during that time, but I liked the Justice League/Unlimited cartoons much better; even the old 90s batman cartoon. But if this is all we get, I'll take it.

And yes, MM was sitting there watching TV while drinking a coke, it was awesome
0jonn.jpg

For those who haven't read the book, the villain in New Frontier is called the Center and it is basically an entity that lives in the Earth. Whether it is the Earth, like Geia or some spirit is unknown but what helped me understand it's motives was an analogy. The Center is like Klaatu in The Day The Earth Stood Still. We humans had discovered the atomic bomb in World War II, Klaatu came to Earth on behalf of the other planets to discover if we were going to use atomic power for good or for evil purposes. The Center believes we are evil so seeks to destroy us because of our discovery and possible misuse of atomic power. The only thing that can stop it is the combined strength of our old heroes and new heroes coming together as one single force for good.

The villain is also supposed to represent the decline of super heroes from the 40's to the 50's due to a book stating that comics were corrupting American youth. The book led to a movement against costumed super heroes with the only ones surviving being Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman. The end of this era began for DC with the creation of a new Green Lantern, Hal Jordan, in 1959 than later a new Flash then the creation of a new super team called the Justice League by 1960. For Marvel the end of this war on comics began with the creation of the Fantastic Four in 1961, then the Hulk, Spider-Man and Thor in 1962.
I love the classic flavor to the New Frontier movie, it is like watching Jack Kirby artwork come to life in some parts. I cannot wait to see what they do next after Teen Titans. Maybe a Watchmen animated movie?

For those who haven't read the book, the villain in New Frontier is called the Center and it is basically an entity that lives in the Earth. Whether it is the Earth, like Geia or some spirit is unknown but what helped me understand it's motives was an analogy. The Center is like Klaatu in The Day The Earth Stood Still. We humans had discovered the atomic bomb in World War II, Klaatu came to Earth on behalf of the other planets to discover if we were going to use atomic power for good or for evil purposes. The Center believes we are evil so seeks to destroy us because of our discovery and possible misuse of atomic power. The only thing that can stop it is the combined strength of our old heroes and new heroes coming together as one single force for good.

The villain is also supposed to represent the decline of super heroes from the 40's to the 50's due to a book stating that comics were corrupting American youth. The book led to a movement against costumed super heroes with the only ones surviving being Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman. The end of this era began for DC with the creation of a new Green Lantern, Hal Jordan, in 1959 than later a new Flash then the creation of a new super team called the Justice League by 1960. For Marvel the end of this war on comics began with the creation of the Fantastic Four in 1961, then the Hulk, Spider-Man and Thor in 1962.
I love the classic flavor to the New Frontier movie, it is like watching Jack Kirby artwork come to life in some parts. I cannot wait to see what they do next after Teen Titans. Maybe a Watchmen animated movie?

That makes sense. It would ahve been awesome if they actually said that in the movie

That makes sense. It would ahve been awesome if they actually said that in the movie

Yeah, they try to convey that at the beginning but for a series this big to be shrunk down to a movie that is less than 90 minutes long some parts are unfortunately lost.
If they get to do Kingdom Come or The Dark Knight Returns or even Crisis On Infinite Earths and HUSH I hope they start making them at least 2 hours long.
I think Bruce Timm and his crew are gifted story tellers when it comes to super hero stories but there is only so much you can do before you come to the conclusion that these films need to be longer.

AICN also now has a link to a video from the next round of DC Direct movies, "Batman Gotham Knight". Looks to be a more straight up anime style then their previous releases.

This can't be right, but IMDB is listing Batman/Bruce Wayne being voiced by Christian Bale. WTF?!

Live action, I can handle Bale.
Animated, Bale is freaking nothing compared to conroy.

If Bale's it, not even going to watch it. Hearing Sisto doing New Frontier as batman was bad enough.

Live action, I can handle Bale.
Animated, Bale is freaking nothing compared to conroy.

If Bale's it, not even going to watch it. Hearing Sisto doing New Frontier as batman was bad enough.

Has he done other animated projects?

I like Conroy a lot (and he's who I've known as the animated Bats for as long as I remember), but I thought Bale's voice took on a new level of menace in BB so I am looking forward to this.

I buy Bale more then I do Sisto, though.

Has he done other animated projects?

I like Conroy a lot (and he's who I've known as the animated Bats for as long as I remember), but I thought Bale's voice took on a new level of menace in BB so I am looking forward to this.

I buy Bale more then I do Sisto, though.

I never heard one iota of menace in Bale's Batman voice. It sounded like he had a cold. I would MUCH rather Batman had some sort of mechanical voice attachmend in BB then bale trying to sound menacing.

Gotham Knight is a bridge between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight so Bale SHOULD be voicing Batman, end of story.

Have you ever heard Conroy's Batman, if you heard it, you would not want Bale to do an animated Batman voice.

I never heard one iota of menace in Bale's Batman voice. It sounded like he had a cold. I would MUCH rather Batman had some sort of mechanical voice attachmend in BB then bale trying to sound menacing.

Have you ever heard Conroy's Batman, if you heard it, you would not want Bale to do an animated Batman voice.

Oh I think Conroy is the best Batman ever. However, since this is supposed to bridge the two MOVIES together, I would rather have the guy that plays Batman in the MOVIE. If this had no connection whatsoever to the Nolan films, then Conroy is the only choice I'd have for Batman.

I'm looking forward to New Frontier. The Doomsday movie wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. It was so good in fact that it's pretty much the story that WB should have used for the live action Superman film. WB should just turn over the running of the live action super hero films to Timm and Dini and let them do it right.

Just finished watching New Frontier and I was very impressed. My main complaint is that it was too short. There was too much time devoted to J'onn Jonzz and too little to Superman and Wonder Woman. The celebrity voices were a bit distracting too although I enjoyed hearing Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman. I thought Sisto was fine as Batman.

And this really wasn't your Saturday morning cartoon...

SPOILERS

Diana's plane being visible only from her red blood splattered all over the cockpit was a bit shocking. As was the blood in other places.

This can't be right, but IMDB is listing Batman/Bruce Wayne being voiced by Christian Bale. WTF?!

From BOF:

According to a report over at WORLDSFINESTONLINE.COM, Christian Bale will not be voicing The Batman in the upcoming BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT. The rumor making the rounds -- and I heard it myself -- was that CB was providing the voice of his live-action character's animated counterpart. I guess this was just that -- rumor. DC/WB Animation is expected to make an official announcement soon providing the details of animated direct-to-video movie.

Lots of good info here:

https://www.batman-on-film.com/wondercon-gotham-knight-preview_2-25-08.html

Was OK to me. Not great. I wish it had been longer, ie, more detailed plotlines and not so pushed. It seems rushed some. And sorry, Sisto is NOT Batman. His voice distracted from what could have been a better audiotrack.
The rest were good.
LOVED the extras though. Cool docs.

From BOF:

According to a report over at WORLDSFINESTONLINE.COM, Christian Bale will not be voicing The Batman in the upcoming BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT. The rumor making the rounds -- and I heard it myself -- was that CB was providing the voice of his live-action character's animated counterpart. I guess this was just that -- rumor. DC/WB Animation is expected to make an official announcement soon providing the details of animated direct-to-video movie.

Lots of good info here:

https://www.batman-on-film.com/wondercon-gotham-knight-preview_2-25-08.html

It would seem since they are going with 5 or 6 different styles that they'd have a different actor voice Bats in each one.

Back