Jurassic park Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care how well received their Dinosauria line is, you cannot tell me it's doing anywhere near as well as a Licensed JP piece would.
The dinosauria line isn't doing well..
most are still available and they are selling for quite less on ebaY.
A good JP line would be great and the pieces would be hard to come by if done correctly with a nice ES.

I don't agree, what evidence do you have that you have come to the conclusion a 'better' JP line would out do Dinosauria? With 5 dioramas/Maquette and 2 soon to be announced, this line must be doing strong for SS to continue.I was disappointed to hear that there is a pretty low chance of them revisiting JP, but to be honest If I had the choice between the two I would go with Dinosauria.

carantosaurus or whats its name is also very nice , but the size , there just to damn small.

Here here. That's a scale many are looking for.

Have you seen them in person? IMO there size is just right. Big enough for plenty of detail and to look impressive on display, yet not so big they take up too much room.
As nice as that JP Rex looks ,and I would love to have, it's just too big. Imagine if SS when with that scale, I sure as hell wouldn't have the room.

got to agree with you on that one mate

a 5 foot rex is real nice, but still to damn big. i would love to have one in my collection ofcourse , but the room would also be an issue

i don't have any dinosaurs yet in my collection. because i'm looking to get costum made work first. but if that doesn't happen
the carontosaurus is my first buy , the rex is sold out here in belgium

plz sideshow do a velociraptor piece like the ones in jurassic park in the attack pose.
a little bit like in this scene , just before the rex grabs her

JP93-veloc6.jpg

I don't agree, what evidence do you have that you have come to the conclusion a 'better' JP line would out do Dinosauria? With 5 dioramas/Maquette and 2 soon to be announced, this line must be doing strong for SS to continue.I was disappointed to hear that there is a pretty low chance of them revisiting JP, but to be honest If I had the choice between the two I would go with Dinosauria.

Simple they wouldn't just be catering to fans of dinosaurs, but fans of movies and fans of Stan Winston. And the market for those collectibles is far larger.

The boards your on. Theres what 4 dinosaur threads, how many of the collectibles here are Stan Winston related. Don't get me wrong I think the Dinosauria line has produced great pieces, but now that they seem to have corrected any painting issues they should give JP another crack. Most people seemed to pass on the first JP piece because the colors or details were not faithful to the film.

See, that is not actually a "random" sample of the population. This is a Sideshow board, so it's obviously going to be skewed toward comic and movie fans. But as I said earlier, even a big film like Jurassic Park is not going to be remembered as long as the actual dinosaurs themselves.

See, that is not actually a "random" sample of the population. This is a Sideshow board, so it's obviously going to be skewed toward comic and movie fans. But as I said earlier, even a big film like Jurassic Park is not going to be remembered as long as the actual dinosaurs themselves.

Fair enough then how about JPtoys, even there more people are still preferring to buy old JP toys from ebay then new pieces from Sideshow. And yea its JP toys but mostly everyone there is a dinosaur fan in gerneral, the regulars anyway. It just seems like if your a fan of Dinosaurs in general, your probably going to buy a really nice JP piece while if your just a Jurassic Park fan, your probably not going to buy a random Carnotaurus.

All things being equal, wouldn't you expect people to buy more old toys than triple-digit statues?

All things being equal, wouldn't you expect people to buy more old toys than triple-digit statues?

Nowadays with collectors I'm not so sure. I think you underestimate old toys, find me a MIB JPS2 Carno from 93 for less then $300 and maybe you'll have me. But I'm talking specificly about people who stated they'd rather wait for something licensed and spend there money on that.

As I said, I think most fans of Dinosaurs probably are fans of Jurassic Park, all wrong things like a Dilo doesnt spit Venom, aside. While most fans of film and Jurassic Park or Stan Winston aren't just going to buy any random dinosaur statue.

"That... is one big pile of ^^^^."

a-1.jpg

Oh no, I'm not underestimating the value of some of the older toys. Heck, I paid $300 for my Battat Diplodocus. Why? Because it's beautiful, and in my opinion, far prettier than the sought-after JP Carno. But again, I'm talking about the big picture. Superheroes, even the most popular ones, have only been around a few decades. The dinosaurs had a slightly longer legacy. :D

Oh no, I'm not underestimating the value of some of the older toys. Heck, I paid $300 for my Battat Diplodocus. Why? Because it's beautiful, and in my opinion, far prettier than the sought-after JP Carno. But again, I'm talking about the big picture. Superheroes, even the most popular ones, have only been around a few decades. The dinosaurs had a slightly longer legacy. :D

True but when were dinosaurs actually discovered by man? I'm sure something is still around from that same day and age that is popular entertainment in some form. Theatre most likely. But now I don't know what were really disputing...

first of all , deckard , love the quote!

But, Deckard. If the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists. :joy

and i am myself a big fan of stan winston, offcourse i think everyone here is.
but that's not the point. the point is sideshow is wasting to mutch money on star wars items & alien items. (no offence)
ok star wars are good movie's, but the avp's sucked!!!

myself i'm a big terminator, alien & predator fan. but some of the latest alien pieces aren't verry entertaining.

like i said before , how come nobody has ever done a velociraptor! for me the rex & the raptors are the most beautifull dinosaurs ever to have walked the earth. (dilophosaurus also)

But give us something people , i want a raptor :(:banghead

I'll weigh in by asserting my love affair with dinosaurs preceded Crichton's novel and Winston's groundbreaking work. There's no denying that to the lay public at large, the JP franchise is dinosaurs. I also sense that some fans of the Dinosauria line are better informed and versed in paleontology having kept up on the latest research and therefor have developed a deeper appreciation of dinos as once living animals vs. hollywood monsters. This is in general agreement with dinosaurdan's argument that though people may remember JP now, the allure of dinosaurs in general will outlast the franchise. Who remembers Waterhouse Hawkins creations from 19th century London? Widespread press and throngs of visitors at the time haven't saved it from present day obscurity.

The main reason SS probably won't be continuing the JP line may be economic. I too would love to see a well executed JP dio but why pay high licensing costs when they can let their own in-house talent off the leash? Personally I'm less interested whether something sells well than if it appeals to me on an aesthetic level which often confines me to the minority. For now the appeal to me is more science than science fiction.

I'll weigh in by asserting my love affair with dinosaurs preceded Crichton's novel and Winston's groundbreaking work. There's no denying that to the lay public at large, the JP franchise is dinosaurs. I also sense that some fans of the Dinosauria line are better informed and versed in paleontology having kept up on the latest research and therefor have developed a deeper appreciation of dinos as once living animals vs. hollywood monsters. This is in general agreement with dinosaurdan's argument that though people may remember JP now, the allure of dinosaurs in general will outlast the franchise. Who remembers Waterhouse Hawkins creations from 19th century London? Widespread press and throngs of visitors at the time haven't saved it from present day obscurity.

The main reason SS probably won't be continuing the JP line may be economic. I too would love to see a well executed JP dio but why pay high licensing costs when they can let their own in-house talent off the leash? Personally I'm less interested whether something sells well than if it appeals to me on an aesthetic level which often confines me to the minority. For now the appeal to me is more science than science fiction.

well said bro!

and for those who are saying that sideshow's dinosauria line is not successfull, well, let me tell you this, only in the latest sideshow's newsletter was it stated that the jp dio was finally out of stock! imagine how long it took that piece to actually sell out from the time it was released! years! and still, waitlist is available. the dinosauria pieces sold out pretty fast.

don't get me wrong, at first i was also happy with my jp piece, but when i got my rex vs trike dinosauria dio, now, i'm planning to sell my jurassic park dio.

i love jurassic park, i love dinosaurs, but if any of these isn't executed well, i'd go with the other. right now, the very first and only jp piece was mediocre, at least for the paintjob, compared to dinosauria, which already has a 5-piece line up of absolutely stunning products! i really don't think there is even a contest to start with. no-brainer really.

I hadn't realized that we started another topic for this! :lol No plans in the immediate future for further JP collectibles, and I adore the Dinosauria line and the creative freedom it affords the SS team... that being said, I've posted this JP Wish List before. I post it again because I would love to see all of these following made in some way, shape, or form. Some are more realistic (the maquettes and dioramas) some I would enjoy but don't view as very likely (12" human characters).

A 1/6 scale Dilophosaurus maquette with frill fully extended in attack position (all the vibrant colors and an extra coat of gloss on the frill would make for a breathtaking creature)

Velociraptor 1:1 bust, foot claw, or 1/6 scale maquette (either the versions from JP or TLW would do fine, being that both had different color schemes, the males in TLW having tiger stripes, the females having slightly less vibrant stripes, and the females in JP having the mottled brown coloration)

A 1/4 scale T.rex bust, 1/6 scale T.rex maquette; my dream would be for a 1/6 maquette set of the TLW T.rex family, catching the intricate details distinguishing the male and female, with the female in light brown/tan with brown stripes, and the male having largely green mixed with brown, yellow/tan stripes, battle scars, and an added neck wattle. That's a bit overly wishful on my part, but it would be a dream come true. A bust of the male T.rex has many possibilities to capture so many details.

1:1 compy maquettes (what collector wouldn't want to have one of these little fellows perched on their desk with that inquisitive yet slightly sinister gaze)

12" John Hammond
12" Robert Muldoon
12" Alan Grant
12" Ian Malcolm
12" Roland Tembo

I've seen many versions of Hammond's cane done in the past, but none appear to be really true to the film version. A replica of the cane would be snatched up in abundance.

Incidentally I'm all for diorama pieces here as well. Imagine the JP T.rex hovering over a Ford Explorer, the Velociraptor pair stalking in the kitchen, Nedry being assailed by the juvenile Dilophosaur with frill exposed, or even the TLW adult T.rex pair stalking outside the trailer. The possibilities here are seemingly endless. We need to get on this and see what Sideshow can do! They are doubtless capable of manufacturing many if not all of these in brilliant quality!

The impetus for halting the JP line is grounded in the licensing fees, which frankly I can't blame SS for circumventing. Universal has the unpleasant habit of milking every cash cow, no matter how beefy, until it is tried up, frail, and welcoming death. Enter the JAWS sequels and JPIII. JP renewed the public fascination with prehistoric fauna. For that reason alone, if for no other, we should hold JP in high regard.

The boards your on. Theres what 4 dinosaur threads, how many of the collectibles here are Stan Winston related. Don't get me wrong I think the Dinosauria line has produced great pieces, but now that they seem to have corrected any painting issues they should give JP another crack. Most people seemed to pass on the first JP piece because the colors or details were not faithful to the film.

Now I'm just going to go and hazard a guess here and say that SS has a long history of working closely with SWS, produces Terminator, Alien, and Predator collectibles, so one would expect a SSC forum to have a vast quantity more fans of Stan's work than, say, paleontology as a whole. Now go to any number of paleo collectible forums and notice aaaaaaall of the topics about dinosaurs in general, and the relatively small number of Stan Winston threads. It's not random sampling. It's selecting a specific demographic and drawing a foregone conclusion based on a limited population with a predisposition. Obviously the majority population here has a high affection for SWS, but you'll notice a large number of SWS fans are also fans of dinosaurs in general. The number of paleo posts are largely equivalent to the number of JP posts on this forum. Rightly so. I would love it if SS would produce both, but I understand 1.) the exorbitant licensing fees, 2.) not wanting to leave consumers jaded with such magnificent creatures by flooding the market with more than one line of dinosaur-related high-end collectibles, and 3.) the hope not to invite comparison between their own line of original statues which are literally a form of paleoart, and Stan Winston's own paleoart in the form of the JP dinosaurs. The SS Dinosauria pieces have the potential to depict any and all dinosaurs in a manner faithful to current paleontological science, whereas the JP dinos have a very specific look which, while not always the most accurate, is irrefutably breathtaking. There's merit to be found in the production of both Dinosauria and JP products, though for the moment I'm glad SS is just sticking with Dinosauria. Let them revisit JP for the 20th Anniversary. By then my bank account will have swelled enough to accommodate both Dinosauria and JP products concurrently.

Superheroes, even the most popular ones, have only been around a few decades. The dinosaurs had a slightly longer legacy. :D

And hero/villain mythology is ultimately rooted in predator/prey relationships. Sentries and alpha individuals in herbivorous species are those which stand apart from the rest of the herd, putting themselves in harm's way to protect the "masses" from the vicious onslaught of ruthless, cunning predators that exploit any and all possible weaknesses to see through their intended goals. It's no coincidence that a collectible company largely dealing in superhero products uncovered a niche market for dinosaurs among its consumer base. :D

Scar , thx for sharing your JP enthousiasm, and your idea's

i love the stuff you would like made by sideshow!
my biggist wish is the velociraptor , a PF would also be nice hehe
but we will have to wait huh guys

also you where talking about the rex family

i expecially love the scene in the lost world , where eddy is trying to save the trailer with the mercedes SUV , when the rexes come on boulth sides of the car

would love to see that one in diorama

Back