Joss Whedon's Dollhouse

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry sick boy82 you didn't miss them rolling around naked on the floor or anything :rotfl :rotfl They were just on a date. :lol

No - when Echo gets back to the stable she's downloaded and they show quick shots of the whole weekend, including her and the guy in a bedroom in their underwear joking about tying her up. It's obvious that there was some sexual activity during her servitude to birthday boy.

No - when Echo gets back to the stable she's downloaded and they show quick shots of the whole weekend, including her and the guy in a bedroom in their underwear joking about tying her up. It's obvious that there was some sexual activity during her servitude to birthday boy.

I would argue that lack of free will in any form is the greater evil, be it sex or any other pre-programmed activity. Sex seems important to people because its considered sacred. I can't think of anything, however, more sacred then free will. Especially when its not an external force acting upon you in order to supress your free will, but rather an internal force acting to express something that you are not from within.

Further more, these "Dolls" are simply bodies that people used to inhabit. I would assume the personality profiles are all downloaded in order to be returned (Echo was givin a 5 year timeline). However, until the personality is restored, the human that used to exist is effectively dead. I believe the detective brought that up during the pilot. In a sense, the Dollhouse temporarly murder's people.

Further more, these "Dolls" are simply bodies that people used to inhabit. I would assume the personality profiles are all downloaded in order to be returned (Echo was givin a 5 year timeline). However, until the personality is restored, the human that used to exist is effectively dead. I believe the detective brought that up during the pilot. In a sense, the Dollhouse temporarly murder's people.

So maybe she's a willing sex slave because she doesn't know any better? Is a girl who has been ruffied, any LESS raped?

But I think that Joss wants us to be asking these questions - but I think it will be a little tough for the general public to swallow.

Just seems point less and a bit over the top and not in a way that is interesting to me.

The thing that does interest me is if they are taking people that are in comas or recently deceased or are they just kidnapping these people like the Russian mob does for reals and selling girls into the sex trade.

That's why I like the FBI guys roll, his is the most believeable and interesting. And he's from BSG, so I gotta watch to see what happens.

I guess we will see how it goes on Friday??!!

So maybe she's a willing sex slave because she doesn't know any better? Is a girl who has been ruffied, any LESS raped?

But I think that Joss wants us to be asking these questions - but I think it will be a little tough for the general public to swallow.

No I completely agree that in those instances she is an unwilling sex slave! I guess my argument is that the girl that existed before Echo ceased to exist when her personality was wiped. Its essentially just a shell that remains. Basically, they are all prostitutes of body AND mind. IMO, though, the loss of self outweighs the physical nature of any mission.

For example...if you are cheated on physically, relationships can bounce back. If your partner falls in LOVE with someone else your pretty much screwed. Loss of mind outweighs loss of body.

But your right, this is exactly what Whedon wants.

To explain my point a bit further...

I guess it depends on how you define a person. I define a person by who they are not what body they inhabit. So in other words once the mind is wiped and the person no longer exists, anything that happens to the body afterward is not a detriment to the person, but only the body.

In that sense, the most immoral aspect of the Dollhouse is the elimation of the initial personality. Nothing else really matters because theorehtically if you put the original personality into a completely different body the individual still exists. If your in a car accident, and you come out without any physical changes, the car accident still happens and THAT is what shapes you as a person (with the obvious exclusion of horrific physical deformity as a result which takes a different toll on an individual).

Just seems point less and a bit over the top and not in a way that is interesting to me.

The thing that does interest me is if they are taking people that are in comas or recently deceased or are they just kidnapping these people like the Russian mob does for reals and selling girls into the sex trade.

That's why I like the FBI guys roll, his is the most believeable and interesting. And he's from BSG, so I gotta watch to see what happens.

I guess we will see how it goes on Friday??!!

It's implied that Caroline volunteers for the program instead of jail or some other calamity, knowing that she will essentially "go to sleep" for 5 years.

Ok cool. So do we really believe that they give them their lives back after 5 years? I don't. Especially if they are assets like Echo seems to be. But what do they do when they are through with them? Do they kill them off? Or restore their original lives and set them free?

I just watched the first episode (and thus haven't read any of the posts in this thread as I didn't want anything to be spoiled). Let me preface this by saying that I wasn't a watcher of Buffy although I did enjoy the exploits of the Scooby Gang whenever I was surfing and happened to catch an episode-- I was however a huge fan of Firefly , and not in its original out of sequence showing but rather as I was exposed to the run in order on a Sci Fi marathon. The following Serenity movie in my mind was and is one of the best recent sci fi movies, imho.

Dollhouse... Great cast. Interesting story potential. Hot Dushku.

I'm sold. Sign me up for being a regular watcher.

Ok cool. So do we really believe that they give them their lives back after 5 years? I don't. Especially if they are assets like Echo seems to be. But what do they do when they are through with them? Do they kill them off? Or restore their original lives and set them free?

I'm sure it will eventually come out that the constant uploading and downloading seriously damages the brain and, instead of being released, they are vegetables after a time.

This is, of course, a deeply held secret (until it's not).

So we are to assume that after 5 years of this mind crap that they just can't handle it and become vegetables. Sad really. But I'm sure some can make it past 5 years. And hope that not all veggie out on us. Cause that's really sad.

So there are a lot of theories too. We have to look at a lot of different angles when it comes to some of what we've seen. And I know it's not been long, one whole episode, but it's fun to speculate.

Alpha. Can we believe Alpha is a person? And if so, do we think Alpha is the naked guy at the end. I want to say no, too easy. But either way, who or what do you think Alpha is?
And the naked guy at the end. Who is he if not Alpha? Do we think he's a former active gone 'rogue' haha I just really wanted to say that. Or is he just some guy who knows about Dollhouse? Or found out about it, got tortured, got away? There is so much to look at there.

Also the people at the end, dead. Carolines parents? Who else besides close family would have that video of her. UNLESS...he had that video he stole of her and she's his obsession? And maybe those people he killed were some kind of Dollhouse Agents tryin to get to him to kill him, and in turn, got killed?

Some of this may make you go hmmm...and some of it may make you go, what? That makes no sense. But I have a lot going on in my mind from all this and it's because Joss' work is so complex that you have to look at every angle. And then in the end, it's never anything you thought it would be.

I mean, who the heck thought the beast could be killed with his own knife thing? I mean REALLY?!!

So we are to assume that after 5 years of this mind crap that they just can't handle it and become vegetables. Sad really. But I'm sure some can make it past 5 years. And hope that not all veggie out on us. Cause that's really sad.

That's just my theory with no evidence from the pilot - there are a thousand different ways the show could go.

That's just my theory with no evidence from the pilot - there are a thousand different ways the show could go.

No I realize that. I was just going with it. It's fun...good theory.

We should really go over all our theories, that's what makes this fun. Not so boring like shows such as Heroes...kidding ppl...maybe.

Back