Joss Whedon's Dollhouse

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I certainly don't expect to hear the snappy back and forth banter of Buffy, but there was no pop to the dialogue at all. Very run of the mill imo. The plot was also very predictable which is definitely out of the ordinary for Whedon. As you say though, it's just getting started and Whedon's strength is in weaving the overall story.

Well, Fox did have them "tweak" the pilot episode a couple of times...

For some reason while watching it I got a vibe of Dark Angel with Jessica Alba and a tad bit of the recent not so good Bionic Woman. It's nice to see a Whedon show back on TV but I seem to be enjoying stuff from JJ Abrahms more these days.

It's defintely worth watching though and it was funny to see Eliza and Summer "host" the evening, if that didn't bring in a certain make age range for a look I don't know what will.

Only thing that kinda bugged me was why add the limitations of the character she was playing in the second half, if they can do what they say, why leave those issues in, the physical ones anyway, seemed like a badly used plot point.

Evan

I've never really bought the premise and I'm still not sold. Hopefully there will be a deep and dark mythology with "Caroline" and the mysterious guy looking for her - but how can you get invested in a character that changes completely each week?

But Amy Acker's character looks really interesting and I'll watch Eliza read the phonebook as long as she's wearing a short skirt.

And Fox's marketing for Friday night is genious. Having Eliza and Summer bantering back and forth during the commercials is lots of fun.

I'll watch it and Terminator in the morning in place of my Saturday morning cartoons of yesteryear. Had to many drinks at my friend's house watching BSG to appreciate it now.

Yeah, Terminator and Dollhouse on a Friday is awesome!!!!

I liked it, not loving it. at least not yet. Really wanted to from the get go. but it didn't have the grab you factor. Like shows (Supernatural, Lost) do from 1st episode start. however, this could be one of those shows that have to build, given the chance if people stick with it. It being a Joss creation I'm willing to stick it out a while. :D

As I said in the other thread. I love it! I can't wait for next week. I got a very Angel vibe from it. Lots of things to talk about so if anyone here actually wants to talk about the show, break it down, etc. Reply! :)

I caught the last 30 minutes and beyond the fact both Eliza Dushku and Amy Acker are in the show, I felt like I was watching a run-of-the-mill TV drama... something that I would go "meh" at, and flip the channel or just turn the boot tube off. I hate TV of late, and as it is with school, the gf, my social life (or lack there of because of school), and my workouts.... well, you get it. Either way, I was really looking forward to Dollhouse and unfortunately, like others before me had mentioned in this thread, it doesn't have the usual Joss touch of brilliance to it. I miss the witty character dialogue that seperates Joss' work from other's... heck, Veronica Mars was much closer to a new Joss project than this show is. I know it's just the first episode, but so far, colour this Whedon fan greatly disappointed.

P.S. I only saw the later half, so I'll give it a chance, but from what I saw... if this continues this will be my first show of Joss Whedon's I won't follow.

I caught the last 30 minutes and beyond the fact both Eliza Dushku and Amy Acker are in the show, I felt like I was watching a run-of-the-mill TV drama... something that I would go "meh" at, and flip the channel or just turn the boot tube off. I hate TV of late, and as it is with school, the gf, my social life (or lack there of because of school), and my workouts.... well, you get it. Either way, I was really looking forward to Dollhouse and unfortunately, like others before me had mentioned in this thread, it doesn't have the usual Joss touch of brilliance to it. I miss the witty character dialogue that seperates Joss' work from other's... heck, Veronica Mars was much closer to a new Joss project than this show is. I know it's just the first episode, but so far, colour this Whedon fan greatly disappointed.

P.S. I only saw the later half, so I'll give it a chance, but from what I saw... if this continues this will be my first show of Joss Whedon's I won't follow.

Booooooooooo. Booooooooooo to Eli26.

Yeaaaaaaaaaa. Yeaaaaaaaaa to Dollhouse. :rock :rock :rock

When I watched the first few episodes of Buffy, I was not even close to hooked. It took season 6 to do that for me. :) That's more than a few tho isn't it?!

I didn't get into Buffy until Season 4.

As for Dollhouse, we know that Fox mucked about with the pilot a couple of times. Sure Joss says that it helped, but he has to say that if he wants to get to that magical 14th episode that seems so difficult for good shows on Fox to acheive.

I liked the pilot. It will be interesting to see where they go from here. As long as they expand on the mythology and not make it an "engagement" of the week show, count me in.

I didn't get into Buffy until Season 4.

As for Dollhouse, we know that Fox mucked about with the pilot a couple of times. Sure Joss says that it helped, but he has to say that if he wants to get to that magical 14th episode that seems so difficult for good shows on Fox to acheive.

I got into Buffy season 1... so since 1997'ish... it was those short skirts.. and a more meatier Sarah Michelle Gellar.

*SOILERS may exist in my post. Read with caution.*

I forget who said it now but someone mentioned it may be hard to get into a character that changes up every show. Which yes, may be true. But didn't we read somewhere that Echo is going to start having some kind of memory of the things she's done? If that's the case, you'd think she'd develop her own personality. I feel like she'd be able to keep some of herself if she starts to remember stuff. So, we will get to have a character development from her. I'd assume, but we all know what Dawn says about assuming. So, maybe I shouldn't.

Then again, it will be neat to see these characters shift every week. And once again...I happen to love Sierra and her kick a** part at the end of this first episode. If her character was bad a** like that every week, she'd def be my favorite!

I think Topher is not so good. More along the lines of Warren. And yes, ok, they are all in their own way, not good. Or they probably wouldn't be doing what they are doing. But I get this not so great vibe from him. Guess we'll see.

I hate ballard. I love the job Anya collof does casting, but if she cast this actor, I'm not satisified. I really hope they kill him off, sorry! :( :)

I love Boyd. He's so sweet and reminds me of Giles. He'll become that father figure that Echo needs.

And Adelle reminds me soooo much of Lilah. But I think Lilah is hotter.

Anyone have any idea what happened with Claire and what her role in this is, was?

And are we to believe that was Echo (carolines) parents dead at the end of the show? Makes sense to me. But...why? And I can't wait to find out who the weird naked guy is who killed them.

Echo is obviously the main focus of the show. I have a feeling the FBI guy is going to be Echo's Angel. A love interest that develops between two people on opposite sides of the fence.

IMO, an interesting plot development would be Echo becoming more of a super heroin of sorts though obviously flawed. If she remembers past missions, it seems likely that she could access the abilities and knowledge that had been imprinted on her. Obviously making her a super assassin/sleuth/negotiator. The flip side would be the inheritance of all of the negative traits (i.e. a memory of being sexually abused by a kidnapper). They were very careful to point out that the strengths programmed into the amalgam personality are dependent on the flaws that exist as well.

Next week is about a rouge active. Which means the process is not perfect. I think we will be able to tell how the show will evolve based on this rogue active's background.

Echo is obviously the main focus of the show. I have a feeling the FBI guy is going to be Echo's Angel. A love interest that develops between two people on opposite sides of the fence.

IMO, an interesting plot development would be Echo becoming more of a super heroin of sorts though obviously flawed. If she remembers past missions, it seems likely that she could access the abilities and knowledge that had been imprinted on her. Obviously making her a super assassin/sleuth/negotiator. The flip side would be the inheritance of all of the negative traits (i.e. a memory of being sexually abused by a kidnapper). They were very careful to point out that the strengths programmed into the amalgam personality are dependent on the flaws that exist as well.

Next week is about a rouge active. Which means the process is not perfect. I think we will be able to tell how the show will evolve based on this rogue active's background.

I've been terribly worried that Ballard was to become her 'Angel' because I just don't like him at all. I don't mean his character. I mean him along with it. I just don't think he's a good enough 'angel' but that's my opinion I guess. *sigh*

Reading peoples thoughts, looks like a lot of them didn't like it. But if you read what a lot of them say, looks like they didn't pay much attention either.
I got so much out of the first episode that I could write a book on it. So MANY little things Joss threw into the episode just amazes me. But you really have to pay attention. I mean, we Joss fans know exactly what we are to expect with him. And it's complexity. If you don't really pay attention, you're going to miss it. 'It' being whatever it is he's trying to say. I just hate when people write off a show after the first epiode. Especially when they don't even pay any attention at all!!!

As we know with Buffy, there is so much underlying information and we just need to pay...say it with me now...attention. :)

it didn't take me 6 season to get hooked on buffy more like 4 episodes. :lol but I can see getting hooked on this show in time. Its very rare to be grabed at the first episode. but joss has a way of bring us back for more. And I definately want to see more. I really hope they explore more of the characters in the dollhouse besides just echo, and I think we got a small sample with the new girl that echo walked in on during her "treatment" I love that Joss has brought in "fred" I just smiled when I saw her and felt a small fraction of the buffy/angel verse come back to life. I'm not saying the show is horrible, I'm just saying that I think it will have to build in it's storytelling to grab the majority of the viewers. The buffy/Angel fans watch because we know Joss is amazing. I'm looking forward to what he will do next. :D

Back