Josh's Sideshow Star Wars Review Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I'd have gone 9 on clothing and paint. It's a great figure, but his shirt being ribbed for her pleasure and too thick hurts the look, a thinner, smoother material would have been more accurate and helped the silhouette look closer to Alec, and overall the paint was nice but the white highlights on the sideburns and mustache are a bit to mechanical and not natural looking, the goatee came out good though.

I understand but I didn't feel those hurt the figure. The paint on yours from what you showed me Sean doesn't seem as apparent when I look at mine. The shirt was absolutley no issue for me as the figure looks and gives off the Alec feel.
------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Carl :)

Ya, I'm just really picky about some stuff, and undershirts on some figures have always gotten to me with how they can distort things, like Bespin Luke, T-800, T-1000, Old Ben. The PT Jedi Shirts dont' negatively effect the way the tunics lay, so it's not as if the issue is unavoidable. My Reg Ben comes in a few days, so maybe that one'll have better apps.

Ya, I'm just really picky about some stuff, and undershirts on some figures have always gotten to me with how they can distort things, like Bespin Luke, T-800, T-1000, Old Ben. The PT Jedi Shirts dont' negatively effect the way the tunics lay, so it's not as if the issue is unavoidable. My Reg Ben comes in a few days, so maybe that one'll have better apps.

Its cool. Even Bespin Luke didn't bother me but I can see how on some it would be an issue.

Great reviews thanks for all these

:chew

Thnx :D

Its cool. Even Bespin Luke didn't bother me but I can see how on some it would be an issue.

Well, I'm not a fan of it, but practicing art for over a decade and being particularly interested in people and being a more detailed artist than simplistic, I pick up on minutia like you wouldn't belive and sometimes it's a ***** because I'd like to just casually enjoy things like most of the population, but if something seems off to me my brain fires up a little magnifying glass and I can't move on from it lol. Worst was one time I was watching Rambo when I was younger and my mom pointed out how Sly has uniquely shaped lips from some accident or whatever, haven't been able to watch a Sly flick since without at least once going oooh there it is, dammit, lol.

What? I thought you liked the Ben paint apps?

All but the beard, I looked at Dave's shots on Rebelscum and even he commented, my Ben's sideburn's where there's white highlights on many people's figures, including Dave's, mine has nearly solid stripes which look alittle odd, but it it such a small, small, small thing I'm still very happy with my Ex Ben and wouldn't bother with exchanging him, but certainly if my other Ben had even better apps then this that'd be nice too.

Here's a good example shot:
15.jpg

And Dave's RS shot looks more subtle and natural.
10.JPG

Or maybe it's photo tricks and they all look that way. Like I said, of the figure that's 0.0002% of it all and that being off doesn't annoy me at all, just since I have a 2nd coming, always nice when it's even better. Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit there Josh.

Well thanks alot, Sean. Now I see it on MINE! :lol

It's odd, mine has perfect blending on the right side of his face, and a harsh band of white on his left side -- nearly half his sideburn is white, not blended.

Now this will bug me. Might have to do some touch-up painting. Axtually wouldn't mine getting his overall hair on the white side as opposed to the pale yellow anyway.

Well thanks alot, Sean. Now I see it on MINE! :lol

It's odd, mine has perfect blending on the right side of his face, and a harsh band of white on his left side -- nearly half his sideburn is white, not blended.

Now this will bug me. Might have to do some touch-up painting. Axtually wouldn't mine getting his overall hair on the white side as opposed to the pale yellow anyway.

Sorry dude, i noticed Dave's at RS is like you said, nice on the right side, more like mine on the left, but my left and right are the same, it's like a chin strap, hmm, maybe guiness wore a hair piece :lol.

I had good shading on both sides of the beard... got lucky on that one. And I think Ben is the new standard for the SSC SW line.

I don't mean to be negative, only realistic, but if he's now the standard than a lot of them will be below that standard. I don't think we're gonna get Old Ben quality very often. He's just so amazing

I guess I didn't mean he will be the standard/average quality. More like he will be the standard/best figure we'll compare future releases too. I though thats what the phrase meant, but I could just be a dolt :lol

GB, you're not a dolt, "standard" can be taken in multiple ways. It could be read as meaning standard SSC figures will look like Ben, or it could be read like you intended it to be, as Ben will be the standard by which all future figures are measured. It depends on how the reader takes it, but some extra wording can help clarify to.

Yeah, Ben will be the standard as to what I expect the SS figures to be from here on out. Even though I was afraid when I first saw pics of him. Yeah, I was wrong. :lol

Ben came out great, but he won't be THE standard for me. From word of fans, the highlights on the beard came out inconsistent and the lesser done ones were pretty blatant in how not right it looks, like mine with the white stripe. I'd also like to see future figures less glossy, he's hardly glossy but still a bit more than most others. That said, the tone of his skin color, the work on his eyes (lose the dot thought) and the overall work on his hair and the wrinkle detail was superb. I think Ben gets the ball rolling toward something amazing and I hope they keep it going.

Back