JND Studios - Justice League Superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a beautiful picture,he looks fantastic.
FB_IMG_1677202760193.jpg

I loved Daniels response to people who say they don't see Cavill.

An absolute reach to say that portrait is not a 95% likeness or above.

It has decent likeness to Cavill, I just don't think the sculpt itself is very good.

He looks gaunt, timid and sad. Not powerful and confident, like he actually was in the movie.

Yeah the whole 'WHO IS THIS' reaction that has perpetrated especially statue discussions is incredibly tiring. Even at the base level, we can tell who this is meant to be. Even Arwen which I do think is JND's weakest work so far, we know it's Liv Tyler. Any discussion is usually more about is it 60% accurate or is it 90% accurate? Is it an expression I want? Those kind of overwhelmingly subjective opinions- this is art after all.

JND brings that conversation to the forefront because of the exceptionally high price point. For these prices, people are searching for perfection. Fact is though, we all see actors and actresses differently, and a lot of them can look different depending on the scene in question. So it's all personal preference and opinion. I just hope the people who order it and get it in hand are happy.

Yeah the whole 'WHO IS THIS' reaction that has perpetrated especially statue discussions is incredibly tiring. Even at the base level, we can tell who this is meant to be. Even Arwen which I do think is JND's weakest work so far, we know it's Liv Tyler. Any discussion is usually more about is it 60% accurate or is it 90% accurate? Is it an expression I want? Those kind of overwhelmingly subjective opinions- this is art after all.

JND brings that conversation to the forefront because of the exceptionally high price point. For these prices, people are searching for perfection. Fact is though, we all see actors and actresses differently, and a lot of them can look different depending on the scene in question. So it's all personal preference and opinion. I just hope the people who order it and get it in hand are happy.

Extremely well put.

I was surprised to find the fallout from the recent video expressed by Daniel/JND. I can understand both sides, but I understand JND's more.

I pre-order based on what they are showing, so I expect as close to or for sure what they show. I pre-order with the understanding that there may be changes, either for better or worse, but trust that at the minimum the prototype is what I will be getting, and if I like what I see I will pre-order with that in mind.

Now JND are probably THE company which delivers on their proto to final mass-production with such little fall-off from their proto. Like Daniel says, any changes that they do make tend to be under the artists own interpretation and integrity, not under what vocal people say.

In what he says about 1k people ordering because they like what they expect to get, how do you gauge how many of them have ordered in the HOPE that it changes? You can't, so his point is extremely valid, you can say with 100% certainty that everyone bought the pre-order slot because they liked what they saw as a minimum to expect to get. So the assumption is it's bought because people are mostly to extremely happy with what is shown.

The assumption that because you bought an artistic piece from a company that they must listen to everyone individually needs to die because they're personally not being catered for. We're lucky JND engages so heavily unlike other companies, it's reasons like this most probably don't.

I don't think JND shot anyones criticisms down. They did change the Bale portrait for example, and they do make changes, but Daniel highlighted how that tends to be because in the end it's the artist who makes the statue wants to do it, either with feedback or without.

Now, the price-point, that really does beg for absolute perfection. But as is always said, and always true, absolute perfection individually is so disperate that would be impossible.

I actually don't doubt that they will slightly change the sculpt, but the uproar to their position is extremely odd. They're definitely in a vicarious position now, though. As they appear to be coming across as arrogant to people's perceptions of them, and combined with the price becoming a lot higher for more minimal and controversial pieces it could slightly dent their reputation.

This isn't even about a main character like some they've got on the horizon that could cause derision.
On the other hand, these are incredibly expensive that maybe just to the nature of it JND should be more business like. Which I hope they don't - I love Daniel's wry humour and down-to-earth talks with the community through his videos. It's extremely refreshing in the collecting world.

It is very difficult considering both sides have valid arguments... In the end, for me, their output speaks for itself. I genuinely don't mind having a piece that is hyper-real like these with good quality mixed media materials and astonishing proportions if the portrait at least sits at 90% or above. The fallout of exact likeness does not outweigh the overall quality and experience they give.

It has decent likeness to Cavill, I just don't think the sculpt itself is very good.

He looks gaunt, timid and sad. Not powerful and confident, like he actually was in the movie.

I actually view him as gaunt, timid and sad in the films lol. The reason why I love his character. I actually don't like Superman as a character, it's a bygone image of an American dream.

Snyder giving him a hubris in the context of todays world and still choosing to use his power for good while being incredibly alienated is why I loved him in the films. For me the sculpt actually represents how he looks a lot in the films, which is concerned and determined at the same time, with a little bit of powerlessness whilst having all the power in the world.

Extremely well put.

I was surprised to find the fallout from the recent video expressed by Daniel/JND. I can understand both sides, but I understand JND's more.

I pre-order based on what they are showing, so I expect as close to or for sure what they show. I pre-order with the understanding that there may be changes, either for better or worse, but trust that at the minimum the prototype is what I will be getting, and if I like what I see I will pre-order with that in mind.

Now JND are probably THE company which delivers on their proto to final mass-production with such little fall-off from their proto. Like Daniel says, any changes that they do make tend to be under the artists own interpretation and integrity, not under what vocal people say.

Now, the price-point, that really does beg for absolute perfection. But as is always said, and always true, absolute perfection individually is so disperate that would be impossible.
How many times have we seen someone post "If I could just be assured that what I was going to eventually get, would look exactly like this prototype, I'd happily pay XXX more"?

If JND labors to deliver something at least as good as it's prototype, then that is where the "perfection" lies- not in original sculpt. Even though that will probably still be a very good to excellent effort in terms of likeness, rendered by an artist who knows their stuff but who still may not satisfy 100% of the onlookers - or even purchasers.

I agree that collectors should not order on the assumption that the final product will be improved/changed

I also agree that jnd do deliver on their final product - there is no difference from the proto so props there

However, JND come across as arrogant idiots, describing BSC as a 'vicious anti-jnd person' - it's that unfounded propagation of untruths that rile up collectors

I actually view him as gaunt, timid and sad in the films lol. The reason why I love his character. I actually don't like Superman as a character, it's a bygone image of an American dream.

Snyder giving him a hubris in the context of todays world and still choosing to use his power for good while being incredibly alienated is why I loved him in the films. For me the sculpt actually represents how he looks a lot in the films, which is concerned and determined at the same time, with a little bit of powerlessness whilst having all the power in the world.
Same, personally I haven't been a Superman fan before Man Of Steel. I love Henry since The Count of Monte Cristo so as a fan I follow his career and projects. When I saw him in Man of Steel, it was a life changing experience! That's when I fall in love with Superman as a character, Snyder gave so much personality and layers to him,it was a totally unique take to the superhero genre back then, still is imo, it is sad that lot of people missed production value,but we all know art isn't for everyone. MOS isn't a standard popcorn movie, from the music to the visuals it's a cinematic masterpiece imo and I don't really care what the mob or James Gunn says, this movie is timeless, watched yesterday again and I'm blown away every time.

Anyway, about JND drama, I think ppl take it too far, from the video, what I can see is that they are hurt by the negative feedback, as an artist I can totally relate to that and instead of getting mad like other ppl, I felt closer to them and value them more now. This hobby is very simple, whenever company shows the product, if you like the prototype you order it, if you don't you don't. JND proved many times that they keep the quality during the production and most time final product looks even better than the prototype, while other statue companies doing opposite. Most time final product is downgraded which is disappointing.

When I preordered Superman (This is the only JND I'll have for now as mainly I collect 1/6) I expect final product to look same as the prototype does. I don't want any kind of changes,alterations or upgrades. What if I won't like changes? I love him as is and I can totally understand their point of view about this subject in the video. I agree with them.
It isn't always right thing to listen to the complaints bc usually ppl who complain too much don't buy anything. Is this portrait 100% no? but it is good enough and I'm sure in person we gonna be blown away.

Queen Studios is changing their Superman based on the same kind of complaints and I'm not sure if I'll like the changed one now as I loved him as he was originally. These companies can't pleasure everyone, art is subjective so I think everyone needs to chill and buy whatever they like. If you don't just move on.

I see that "hurt by the negative feedback" posted a lot in defense of lackluster work. If it was unwarranted, I could understand that, but in this case it isn't. They just need to be more self-aware and open to the realization they can and need to do better for all the hype they generate. Even Superman could use some tweaking. That is the main reason why I didn't order one, it isn't quite there for me.

Anyone can plainly see Arwen is not a great likeness and really neither are several of their older pieces. Anyone with an eye for detail can pick them apart. I still like a couple of them such as Joker even with it's weaker likeness, but I am turned off to the company as a whole by this combative stance. It will definitely cost them customers, which I am sure Queen and others who actually care enough to put ego aside and do the right thing will love.

Thanks for posting.

Those are definitely not the most flattering pics of this piece.

I do like that you can see the sort of micro fabric detailing that's beneath the chainmail detail on the black suit version. Unfortunately, it appears to get completely lost in the blue suit due to all the air brushing.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.

I do like that you can see the sort of micro fabric detailing that's beneath the chainmail detail on the black suit version. Unfortunately, it appears to get completely lost in the blue suit due to all the air brushing.
The black doesn't seem to need the same amount of work for a good result. I'm having my 1/4 Weta blue redone this week.
After all this InArt discussion and doing the MoS customs I couldn't live with it the way it was, it was way too light and I really want the light/dark contrast. I'm getting him to do something similar to this piece.
I don't think the black suit needs it. The black contrasts better making the undersuit detail more obvious with less work.

I feel like all I do is look at Superman suits :ROFLMAO:

The second picture has the best likeness, I feel like he's too gaunt. The choice to paint a resin suit I really do not like. They should have tried to implement cloth, bit of a weak release this. But never know, might turn out to be great in person - still got my order in regardless.

But how the price point for this with one less sculpt is one of the highest regardless of pandemic or not, just how can Joker with a 3-piece suit cost so much less than something with a painted resin body and next to no material cloth?

Thanks for posting.

Agreed, on these pictures blue one doesn't really shine. I don't like how his hair looks, they need to try and recreate hairstyle without intense wet look. Doll companies do that, so it's possible. While I love this piece, after InArt 1/6 reveal likeness is also questionable at least right now. Let's see how the final piece turns out. Still a great piece and definitely keeping my PO till we see the final product.

P.S. I think hair just got messed up during transit and they just styled it with water. I believe this is the same prototype we've seen before.

The black doesn't seem to need the same amount of work for a good result. I'm having my 1/4 Weta blue redone this week.
After all this InArt discussion and doing the MoS customs I couldn't live with it the way it was, it was way too light and I really want the light/dark contrast. I'm getting him to do something similar to this piece.
I don't think the black suit needs it. The black contrasts better making the undersuit detail more obvious with less work.

I feel like all I do is look at Superman suits :ROFLMAO:
Oh man I couldn't imagine spending even more money on this statue to get it repainted :thud:
The second picture has the best likeness, I feel like he's too gaunt. The choice to paint a resin suit I really do not like. They should have tried to implement cloth, bit of a weak release this. But never know, might turn out to be great in person - still got my order in regardless.

But how the price point for this with one less sculpt is one of the highest regardless of pandemic or not, just how can Joker with a 3-piece suit cost so much less than something with a painted resin body and next to no material cloth?
Yea, the higher price is very difficult to justify on this when looking at the price of other pieces.
Agreed, on these pictures blue one doesn't really shine. I don't like how his hair looks, they need to try and recreate hairstyle without intense wet look. Doll companies do that, so it's possible. While I love this piece, after InArt 1/6 reveal likeness is also questionable at least right now. Let's see how the final piece turns out. Still a great piece and definitely keeping my PO till we see the final product.

P.S. I think hair just got messed up during transit and they just styled it with water. I believe this is the same prototype we've seen before.
Yea, I have to admit that recent IA sculpt has me questioning the likeness on this one more than I had previously. Makes me wonder if I should've just waited on Queen Studios to make a blue and red statue. I'll decide to keep or cancel mine when we start getting production photos and review videos of the final piece.

Last edited:
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. I'm getting him to do a similar paint job to my Weta that is on the Queen Studios version. Attempting to replicate that shading.
Ahh ok gotcha. Will be cool to see once it’s done! Same person who painted the mouthpiece on you Armored Bats PF?

Ahh ok gotcha. Will be cool to see once it’s done! Same person who painted the mouthpiece on you Armored Bats PF?
Okay I will update the thread if I can find it.
It isn't the same person. The guy who does that faces normally only does 1/6 face repaints it his spare time.
The guy that does the statues is a friend of mine who is a professional statue painter/vehicle air brush artist.

Back