Jedi Luke Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Aldeggon said:
Exactly. So if Michaelangelo can live with it, so can we.

It's great being a Humanities major, this is the kind of stuff I live off of, lol. It sure makes going to the museum more fun, lol.

Huh?
Anyway, the point is just that there is a meaning behind the artistic expression on Michelangelo's work.
Hey, it's no biggie, it probably is something (head shrinkage during production) that SST have not mastered completely yet, who knows...

Oh I know that, I've studied the David for years and know all the different reasons for it. My point, though poorly conveyed I know see, was that I've learned not to let imperfections bother me. Maybe his head is a bit large, but I don't mind it at all. I wasn't implying that it had the massive artistic reprecusions that the David would have, only that I'm used to that stuff. After all, I'm not going to compare it to a Dali painting or an impressionist landscape. I've probably got Da Vinci rolling in his grave as it is right now, LOL. :rotfl

I totally agree with Abake on this whole thing, and I get where you're coming from too, Cap.

Last edited:
Captain Aldeggon said:
Oh I know that, I've studied the David for years and know all the different reasons for it. My point, though poorly conveyed I know see, was that I've learned not to let imperfections bother me. Maybe his head is a bit large, but I don't mind it at all. I wasn't implying that it had the massive artistic reprecusions that the David would have, only that I'm used to that stuff. After all, I'm not going to compare it to a Dali painting or an impressionist landscape. I've probably got Da Vinci rolling in his grave as it is right now, LOL. :rotfl

:D
Yeah, I think we've abused the master's names enough for one thread!
:rotfl

abake said:
Here's a few old pics I took a while ago, it was mostly to showcase differences between the different manufacturers (in this case DML, Medicom, SST and Hot Toys -not shown), but they might illustrate my issues with the proportions of the SST Luke.

DSC01189.jpg

Man, I hate to stir it up even more, but as your picture above illustrates...the Sideshow Luke looks pretty damned good...

I think the medicom one is too small and slight looking, not to mention the head looks too generic...thanks for the comparision shots...makes me even happier with the Sideshow version (not that I wasn't already plenty happy with it mind you :))

Last edited:
You're right, of course...a lot of how he looks depends on the pose & the picture....

423732929_44c03eb404_o.jpg

Got any shots of that Medicom that show off that figure well?
It'd be cool to see...

That's a cool pic!
I'd have to look, but there are some awesome pics of the Medi-Luke floating around in different boards.

EDIT: Here's one of the same session:

I think it showcases the sculpt nicely (I like the texture and the work on the eyes, in general it's really not as plain as it seems), and it also showcases Medi-Luke's funky green hair-do...:rotfl

DSC01217.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting that hair repainted!
As for the paleness of the figure, I like it.
SST Luke seems a bit too tanned for my taste.

In general, I think this will not sway any SST fans, nor should it. :D

Last edited:
The only thing that makes me cringe about the SSC Luke are those huge gaps in the hips that make the pants sag in, looks terrible without the vest to hide it.

Nice shot abake...thanks. Those green highlights are a bit much but you're right about the eyes...they look good.

The baca tank musta had some chlorine in it.

Mediluke still looks more like Malcolm McDowell than Mark Hamill.

MCDOWELL_MALCOLM_8X10.jpg

abake said:
That's a cool pic!
I'd have to look, but there are some awesome pics of the Medi-Luke floating around in different boards.

EDIT: Here's one of the same session:

I think it showcases the sculpt nicely (I like the texture and the work on the eyes, in general it's really not as plain as it seems), and it also showcases Medi-Luke's funky green hair-do...:rotfl

DSC01217.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting that hair repainted!
As for the paleness of the figure, I like it.
SST Luke seems a bit too tanned for my taste.

In general, I think this will not sway any SST fans, nor should it. :D

after seeing that pic, I'm glad I bought my sideshow lucke! it is way more accurate in the sculpt than this o ne!:D

Well, it's close enough. :D

Really I don't get why they're having such a hard time getting the heads inscale for the SW line. They should know of the problem by now. I guess we'll see with Luke and Leia and anyone past that. I'd say it's bad quality control in that area.

mastervader said:
You don't get the "big head" issue? :D
Yes , but surely I can't be the only one that thinks the Medicom Luke stinks? The headsculpt looks downright cheap and remember this is a figure that costs TWICE the Sideshow version . I don't subscribe to the whole "Medicom worship". O.k , Vader and the Troopers are nice enough figures but the price? And they're all too bloody short!!:banghead

Actually, there is one person here who shortened Luke's arms, and that would be me. It wasn't all that difficult, as most of the extra length was in the forearm.I think I removed about 1/16" from each arm. Of course, it didn't hurt to have professional grade adhesives at my disposal...PS

Sachiel said:
Well, it's close enough. :D

Really I don't get why they're having such a hard time getting the heads inscale for the SW line. They should know of the problem by now. I guess we'll see with Luke and Leia and anyone past that. I'd say it's bad quality control in that area.

LOL
Any life-drawing student will appreciate that link.
8&1/2 heads? Meh - whatever.

I must state for the record that I really love my SSC Luke, and I am not the biggest fan of ROTJ. I bought him wayyyy after his release because I really dug the likeness in person.

EVILFACE said:
The baca tank musta had some chlorine in it.

Mediluke still looks more like Malcolm McDowell than Mark Hamill.

Looks like Donny Osmand to me. That thing is terrible compared to Sideshows.

Yeah, I see McDowell for sure there. I still love it, but it's sculpt is not accurate AT ALL. I have SS Luke and Medi Luke, and they live in peace. 1- Great Sculpt, 1- Great Body, had to have them both. Wish we got a PF of Jedi Luke though, it'd be killer!

I would break on my no PF rule if they made a Jedi Luke PF, that PF would be a must have!!!!!!!!

PosterBoyKelly said:
Yeah, I see McDowell for sure there. I still love it, but it's sculpt is not accurate AT ALL. I have SS Luke and Medi Luke, and they live in peace. 1- Great Sculpt, 1- Great Body, had to have them both. Wish we got a PF of Jedi Luke though, it'd be killer!

The big difference for me is the boots. SS's Luke boots suck nuts. If I ever came across a cheap MediLuke, I'd swap heads and parts and make my own like I had to with T2 Terminator.

Back