Jedi Luke Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SST's Luke is their worst figure proportions-wise.

The head is excessively large, the arms are too long and then there's the thing with the big left hand.
It's a cool figure, but the proportions are just way off...

Put him on the Oz body from the buffy line. He's the same height with proportionate arms. I took a dremel to mine though.:rotfl

abake said:
SST's Luke is their worst figure proportions-wise.

The head is excessively large, the arms are too long and then there's the thing with the big left hand.
It's a cool figure, but the proportions are just way off...

abake can you show me pictures expressing size comparisons

Here's a few old pics I took a while ago, it was mostly to showcase differences between the different manufacturers (in this case DML, Medicom, SST and Hot Toys -not shown), but they might illustrate my issues with the proportions of the SST Luke.

DSC01102.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01189.jpg

Great Thanks. He looks good next to the Dragon figure. Looks beeter than I thought. I have plenty of hand sculpts but I can see what you're talking about. I must get him at some point but maybe not right now.

But his head looks just fine with the vest on.

And pics are subjective. Just like the news, you can put any kind of spin you want to get your point across.

Meh, I'm thinking of getting rid of my Exclusive Luke now. He looks like a monkey with the expression and arm length. I like my Medi one much better(More proportionate, better expression, more hand choices, better boots, better vest, better articulation..)

He may be smaller, but atleast he doesn't look weird. Inhand, he does look a lot like MH, and I've seen some customizers paint his face to look more tan than pale. Really brings out the sculpt...

Either way, if I were you, I'd save up and get the Medicom RAH version.;)

EVILFACE said:
But his head looks just fine with the vest on.

And pics are subjective. Just like the news, you can put any kind of spin you want to get your point across.

Actually, I think SST Luke looks better in my pics than in-hand, and vice versa on Medi-Luke.

I'll never understand why the expression on SSC's Luke gets so much hate, it fits what his character was going through in that film perfectly. I guess I'm the only one that gets sick of the standard "poker face" sculpt.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I'll never understand why the expression on SSC's Luke gets so much hate, it fits what his character was going through in that film perfectly. I guess I'm the only one that gets sick of the standard "poker face" sculpt.

I don't get sick of the "poker face" you speak of, but I do think ROTJ Luke very often has the look of this sculpt on his face.

TheObsoleteMan said:

I'm with you... I like the sculpt on this piece :)

I took a razor saw to Lukes arms and removed about 1cm . This improved the proportions of the figure no end . I personally don't get the whole " Sideshow big head syndrome" thing that people bang on about on some 1/6 forums . O.k , the Sideshow body type is slightly built , but seeing as most of the figures so far have multiple layers of clothing , this is balanced out .

The thing is, the melon-head syndrome doesn't happen to all of SST's figures, only a select few... :D

Just look at Aragorn, Legolas, Mace Windu and even Darth Maul. Perfect head to body proportions.
I mean, it's easy, just stand Luke or Obi Wan next to Aragorn or Mace. You'll see the difference.
And the multilayer clothing is not a valid argument IMHO, again, just look at all the stuff Aragorn or Mace Windu have on.
Of course, you might feel Mace and Aragorn have small heads! :rotfl

And this doesn't happen just to SST, DML have had their share of big headed fellows, just not as much as SST.

Don't stone me bacause of it, but I think it looks better. I don't like pin-head figures. After all, the David's hands are proportionally far too large to be natural--but I'm not gonna think any less of it because of that. :rolleyes:

This becoming a ridiculous discussion, but what the heck!:D

Michelangelo's David was designed that way so it would look proportional when looked at from the ground up. The perspective makes it look proportioned. Also, it is a piece of art, some features were exagerated to make it more striking.
Just like a lot of Frank Frazetta's paintings show people who have inhuman proportions. Not because Frazetta doesn't know his anatomy, but because he wanted to achieve an emotion.

Now, we can argue that SST wanted to ellicit an emotion with a big head on Luke, Han, Obi Wan et al, but it doesn't sound too plausible...

abake said:
Michelangelo's David was designed that way so it would look proportional when looked at from the ground up. The perspective makes it look proportioned. Also, it is a piece of art, some features were exagerated to make it more striking.

Now, we can argue that SST wanted to ellicit an emotion with a big head on Luke, Han, Obi Wan et al, but it doesn't sound too plausible...

:clap You are exactly right about the David, not only that but there was also a philosophical statement being made with the large hands.

Exactly. So if Michaelangelo can live with it, so can we.

It's great being a Humanities major, this is the kind of stuff I live off of, lol. It sure makes going to the museum more fun, lol.

Back