Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's like charisma. I dont think you can learn it, although some people try to teach it and some actors and politicians improve their social skills and image. Hitler worked extensively on his mannerisms, diction and projection to become a great public speaker. Charisma seems to be what separates a movie star from a good actor. One has something that attracts people regardless of how good or bad they are at acting, the other was might be technically better but people don't care to watch him/her. You see that a lot in wrestling too. Hulk Hogan is the biggest most popular wrestler ever. More people saw him on television and pay to see him over any wrestler ever. Could he actually wrestle well....not really. Was he even great at cutting promos, no, but he had something that you just couldn't take your eyes off of him if he was on tv, same goes for Macho Man Randy Savage. I've seen Kevin Smith on stage talking and heard his podcast. He's seems to be naturally funny and can talk endlessly without boring or annoying you. I do believe he took some local acting classes when he was younger in NJ, so perhaps he learned a few things there, along with him being naturally social and an extrovert.

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

If his process to get into Hollyweird was:

Step 1: From his humble beginnings created that masterpiece Clerks 1 from scratch because that’s what it is a freaking masterpiece there was nothing geekier and funnier that year it was the Airplane Animal House of that era.

Step 2: Then paid people off with cash, ate sausage from all sides and gave out free cocaine to every producer for the next 24 years.

I’m ok with that as long as step 1 came first lol

Because lets face it male or female if you’re anyone with a known face and name in that place you are eating sausage no matter what hell people with no public recognition have to do that can you imagine the famous ones lol

Somewhere out there right now as we speak Nolan is getting the ole Louisville slugger treatment at the spa the next movie has to be funded one way or the other. :rotfl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've seen Kevin Smith on stage talking and heard his podcast. He's seems to be naturally funny and can talk endlessly without boring or annoying you.

Absolutely.

I saw that give an unprepared talk that just consisted of loosely related anecdotes and Q&A from the audience, and he had people rolling in the aisles for over 4 hours. The man has the gift of gab. Now granted, this was 1998, arguably the height of his fame, so all he really had to was come out and tell a few fart jokes for 20 minutes and the audience would have gone home happy. But he stayed on stage and answered every question, told a hilarious story about Stallone getting his balls played with by an extra in his trailer while he was still micced up and the entire crew listened, etc etc. Perhaps the most fun and natural public speaker I've ever seen since Henry Rollins.

Best part? He stayed AFTER that four hours til everyone in line that wanted his autograph and a photo (we didn't call that crap selifies back then) got one. I still have my signed first editions of Clerks and Jay and Silent Bob comics (Daredevil wasn't out yet I don't think) as well as a pic of us together. By all accounts he was there til around 4 in the morning, and then had to go back and continue shooting Dogma in Pittsburgh.

What he lacks in talent he made up for in genuine charisma and knowledge about the stuff he loved. Also very loyal to his friends and fanbase. (Are we forgetting a certain guy named Weinsten that basically started this guy's career, too?)

I think the last movie of his I watched was "Red State" which I didn't enjoy, but I applaud him for finally trying to branch out. I certainly have no interest in seeing the nepotist vehicles he produced just for his daughter to star in, and this new one looks like more of that.

I think he KNOWS he was in the right place at the right time too, and was humble about it at least for a little while. His autobiographical book "Tough ****" is also a delightful, breezy read and I highly recommend it.

I don't listen to his endless hours of podcasts or watch his teary eyed shill-bait reaction videos to inane movie trailers, but I will always respect what he did in the old days.

Absolutely.

I saw that give an unprepared talk that just consisted of loosely related anecdotes and Q&A from the audience, and he had people rolling in the aisles for over 4 hours. The man has the gift of gab. Now granted, this was 1998, arguably the height of his fame, so all he really had to was come out and tell a few fart jokes for 20 minutes and the audience would have gone home happy. But he stayed on stage and answered every question, told a hilarious story about Stallone getting his balls played with by an extra in his trailer while he was still micced up and the entire crew listened, etc etc. Perhaps the most fun and natural public speaker I've ever seen since Henry Rollins.

Best part? He stayed AFTER that four hours til everyone in line that wanted his autograph and a photo (we didn't call that crap selifies back then) got one. I still have my signed first editions of Clerks and Jay and Silent Bob comics (Daredevil wasn't out yet I don't think) as well as a pic of us together. By all accounts he was there til around 4 in the morning, and then had to go back and continue shooting Dogma in Pittsburgh.

What he lacks in talent he made up for in genuine charisma and knowledge about the stuff he loved. Also very loyal to his friends and fanbase. (Are we forgetting a certain guy named Weinsten that basically started this guy's career, too?)

I think the last movie of his I watched was "Red State" which I didn't enjoy, but I applaud him for finally trying to branch out. I certainly have no interest in seeing the nepotist vehicles he produced just for his daughter to star in, and this new one looks like more of that.

I think he KNOWS he was in the right place at the right time too, and was humble about it at least for a little while. His autobiographical book "Tough ****" is also a delightful, breezy read and I highly recommend it.

I don't listen to his endless hours of podcasts or watch his teary eyed shill-bait reaction videos to inane movie trailers, but I will always respect what he did in the old days.

yzdeREk.gif

That Stallone story... SO film industry in the 90s, along with Gere/jerbil, Jamie Lee's gender reassignment, etc. Yes, even Harvey's antics did the rounds then. Pre-internet, everyone told different versions of it. How true any of it was, who knows? Just like Harvey back then - people would smile and roll their eyes knowingly. The film industry made up of deeply (in some cases scary deeply, pathologically and crimiinally) messed up people, so there were as many stories as you could ever want to hear, and they seemed true at the time. I personally heard with my own ears Schwarznegger say some stuff that would have been a major problem for him being elected, and would be bad even today - but hey, I don't have a recording.

Well the way Smith told it was priceless cause he was telling us the way that HE had been told: by one Joel Schumaker. And in Kevin's own words, (still etched in my brain from 1998 they were that good.) "I love Joel but the man is gayer than a treeful of parrots."

He then went on to describe how Joel, in this very bitchy, catty, stereoptypical gay guy way recounted the story of Stallone going back to his trailer with an extra from the set. Not sure what movie; one of those generic action movies he got in the 90s. And apparently he was still wearing a hot mic so the entire crew had to stifle laughter as they heard him "Thass it babee.....cradle the balls and work the shaft....yeah...." in his Rocky voice.

In fact, I don't know if Kevin himself even believed it, but he loved the way Schumaker told it, so he kept it going by telling us.

True or not, it was one hell of an entertaining anecdote!!

Arnold was the worst in his hey-day.

And Jim Cameron should thank his lucky stars that no phone cameras were around in the 90s.

Being around these people is like going from pen to pen in Jurassic Park. You never know if its going to be stealth or full-on, but you know its coming.

Back