Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully they have a scene that explains Kevin Smith's (and Rev Al Sharpton's, who used the same system) extreme weight loss regimen.

200.gif
5 hour daily time limit of eating only potatoes for two weeks, then two weeks off the diet then back on apparently.
He does actually look really good after his heart attack though, more power to him.
As a huge fan of Clerks 1 this looks horrible every single line of dialogue was not funny.

JSB1 had some decent moment I mean who can forget Hamill’s dialogue but it certainly was no Clerks 1.

Chasing Amy also had decent moments but again no Clerks 1 but nor was it trying to be a Clerks style movie.

Mall Rats meh

Dogma yuck.

Whatever i’m not going to the the theater to see this new one sorry Kevin and Jason.

Clerks 1 though what a freaking masterpiece that was, right time right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You obviously loved Cop Out since you didn't mention it.

I love Clerks 1, and I liked Chasing Amy and some parts of Mallrats, but that's about it. He should stick to speaking engagements.

Maybe its just his silent bob googly eyes thing that makes him take on a bit of the new al sharpton look. It's almost an eflin look where the extreme weight coming off is still adjusting on the face.

kevin-Smiths-Family.jpg

5 hour daily time limit of eating only potatoes for two weeks, then two weeks off the diet then back on apparently.
He does actually look really good after his heart attack though, more power to him.

You obviously loved Cop Out since you didn't mention it.

I love Clerks 1, and I liked Chasing Amy and some parts of Mallrats, but that's about it. He should stick to speaking engagements.

Never watched CO never will lol

Outside of making movies which he admits he sucks at the guy has an incredible geek life that’s for certain I mean he’s now immortalized in the MCU and lives comfortably being a film pundit paid off by the studios it can’t get any better than that.

Because fans wouldn’t want it any other way.

I guess it’s like Bond wearing a white Tuxedo or Terminator with his leather jacket and sunglasses or Rambo and his bandana.

Because fans wouldn’t want it any other way.

I guess it’s like Bond wearing a white Tuxedo or Terminator with his leather jacket and sunglasses or Rambo and his bandana.

A tuxedo is timeless tho. We're talking about baggy 90's clothing and long hair. Even Terminator and Rambo moved on. One grew a beard, wears modern clothing and Rambo cut his hair and got rid of the bandana. Not to mention, they're a bit old to still be dressed like teenagers. :lol

Even Bill and Ted got with the times...while still retaining their "style."

xY8F2Ts.jpg

A tuxedo is timeless tho. We're talking about baggy 90's clothing and long hair. Even Terminator and Rambo moved on. One grew a beard, wears modern clothing and Rambo cut his hair and got rid of the bandana. Not to mention, they're a bit old to still be dressed like teenagers. :lol

Even Bill and Ted got with the times...while still retaining their "style."

xY8F2Ts.jpg

Stoners are slow to change lol

All I remember was Clerks 1 getting me thru some tough times during my pharmacology, microbiology and anatomy and physiology classes that movie holds a special place in my heart.

I like Clerks 1, 2, Mallrats, Dogma, and Strikes Back. Mallrats was my favorite growing up because I liked going to the mall when I was a kid. :lol

Anyway, Jay looks weird now. I don't mean old. I mean there's something different about him. He looks like a different person and it freaks me out. :horror

Sadly though, he was just in the right place at the right time. There's a million Kevin Smiths all over the internet now.

As they say, he got lucky. A good talker with mediocre talent at best. He had an understanding of the comic book world (and its audience) that the studios desperately wanted to crack and they took him in. Despite his tales of screenplay adventures in Hollywood which he tells very well (again and again), he just wasn't a very good writer. His best "art" entailed picking apart pop culture -- much like we all do here on a day to day basis. But in a world of no-internet, that "talent" must have seemed fresh and new. I personally never got his humor. I just saw him as the lowest common denominator of a very large fan base.

He is the perfect example of what happens in most cases when they let a "fan" have a shot. Not much.

I don't know about lucky. Out of millions of people, maybe thousands of aspiring filmmakers, he managed to gather some money and made a film. That alone is more than just luck. I think he was talented. However, he never improved as a director or writer. I remember when he was talking about the film he made with Bruce Willis, he mentioned that he didn't know anything about camera lenses and angles and all the "basic" things a good or competent filmmaker should know. If anything, he got worse as a filmmaker somehow. Lack of talent or lack of creative ambition?

I don't know about lucky. Out of millions of people, maybe thousands of aspiring filmmakers...

Untalented people get into Hollywood every day. Most of the movies made prove this. If you can talk a good game, you get in that much faster. Some even learn their craft after they've "made it"... like Keanu Reeve. The problem is, there's a genuine shortage of talent out there -- I mean the kind of talent that changes art. Always has been. Sometimes a true genius comes along -- Hitchcock, Spielberg -- sometimes 'genius' is made by committee never to be reproduced again, lightning in a bottle (like Die Hard)... Kevin Smith was not talented, unless you have a very broad definition of talent, the kind of definition that includes parents at their children's elementary play. I think he was smart, a clever smart-ass, knew how to ingratiate himself, and was knowledgeable about a subject that Hollywood wanted to exploit. And like you said, he never learned anything after he "made it".

If you can talk a good game, you get in that much faster. Some even learn their craft after they've "made it".. I think he was smart, a clever smart-ass, knew how to ingratiate himself, and was knowledgeable about a subject that Hollywood wanted to exploit.

Maybe that's a talent. Not a filmmaking talent...but a talent that can get you far in any business or aspect of life. Some people have an ability to sell anything, even themselves to people. That's the kind of thing you can't learn in school. People like that tend to be more successful than the average person.

Becoming friends with Affleck is probably the luckiest thing ever....or maybe it was all part of his plan. :lol

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Nah I don’t buy Wor-Gar’s idea on KS if it was that easy for every untalented person from middle class and lower to penetrate into the Hollywood system everyone would do it.

The wealthy absolutely most in the system eminated from wealth and bought their way in but wasn’t he a poor slob from NJ?

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Unless it turns out KS came from wealth if that’s the case then F em he deserves Wor-Gar’s scorn lol

Untalented people get into Hollywood every day. Most of the movies made prove this. If you can talk a good game, you get in that much faster. Some even learn their craft after they've "made it"... like Keanu Reeve. The problem is, there's a genuine shortage of talent out there -- I mean the kind of talent that changes art. Always has been. Sometimes a true genius comes along -- Hitchcock, Spielberg -- sometimes 'genius' is made by committee never to be reproduced again, lightning in a bottle (like Die Hard)... Kevin Smith was not talented, unless you have a very broad definition of talent, the kind of definition that includes parents at their children's elementary play. I think he was smart, a clever smart-ass, knew how to ingratiate himself, and was knowledgeable about a subject that Hollywood wanted to exploit. And like you said, he never learned anything after he "made it".

What makes a great director is both talent as a film maker (visual story telling and knowledge of camera equipment) and actual story telling talent (writing). Hitchcock and Spielberg have both, I'd also add Christopher Nolan. Smith has writing talent, his humor might be lowbrow but it's found an audience, but has never been a film maker and showed no desire to at least learn the craft. I think at this point, his jokes are stale and recycled, his writing ability has slipped.

Re: Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Unless it turns out KS came from wealth if that’s the case then F em he deserves Wor-Gar’s scorn lol

He's actually British royalty, and his real name is Kevinth the third. He pretended to be from the worst place on earth, New Jersey. :chase

Maybe that's a talent. Not a filmmaking talent...but a talent that can get you far in any business or aspect of life. Some people have an ability to sell anything, even themselves to people. That's the kind of thing you can't learn in school. People like that tend to be more successful than the average person.

Becoming friends with Affleck is probably the luckiest thing ever....or maybe it was all part of his plan. :lol

I agree with you here.

Re: Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Nah I don’t buy Wor-Gar’s idea on KS if it was that easy for every untalented person from middle class and lower to penetrate into the Hollywood system everyone would do it.

The wealthy absolutely most in the system eminated from wealth and bought their way in but wasn’t he a poor slob from NJ?

Oh Jye... people sleep their way in, people befriend their way in... there's all types of ways "in".

Back