James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than bag it just from a few trailers i'm hoping this lives up to somewhere even close to the hype its created.

Hope its truly amazing but to early to tell at this stage.Whilst the trailers are :cool: it will need a story line with a bit of heart to create more interest than just the beautiful looking CGI.

Hey where's my Na'vi PF or Maquette SS i'm sure they'll be up in the not to distant future.

Last edited:
Sideshow told me that the next pieces will be 2 premium formats they have been working on. Personally, I like the character of Quarich and the camo that looks digital the RDA wear in the movie.

I havent really been influenced by the hype. I think if I was then I would be let down come time to see the movie. Nothing can really live up to those expectations. I do know however that I have thoroughly enjoyed all of Cameron's filmography.

We all saw how his military in space was done in Aliens. It has a similar feel to me in this film. And since 40 percent of the film is live action-there will plenty of what I already know I like of his work. The rest is gravy. Sigourney Weaver said when she saw the rough cut of this movie she cried for 15 minutes, and not cuz it sucked :) but because the story had heart.

The AMP suit looks awesome to me. Gives the same feel as the powerloader but in overdrive. I agree with Darklord Dave that when you see what Cameron has produced over the years he has built a legacy and trust for those who appreciate his work. With this being his pet project for so many years and knowing he is a perfectionist, it raises my level of confidence that this will be a fun ride.

Article I found

James Cameron Created Perfect Alien In Zoe Saldana
November 10th, 2009 10:32pm EST Post a comment 3 comments Add to My News

Zoe Saldana pictures Titanic director James Cameron is convinced lusty male film fans will fall in love with Zoe Saldana as a 10-foot tall blue alien in his new movie Avatar - because he has created the perfect imaginary woman.

The pioneering moviemaker used the very latest camera technology to turn actors and actresses into fantasy beings in his alien love story - and he's particularly pleased with the way Saldana's character came out.

Cameron says, "Right from the beginning I said, 'She's got to have t--s... (and) I came up with this free-floating lion's mane-like array of feathers, and we strategically lit and angled shots to not draw attention to her breasts, but they're right there.

"The animation uses a a physics-based sim that takes into consideration gravity, air, movement and the momentum of her hair, her top."

And there's one scene in particular in which Saldana's character, Neytiri, reveals a nipple that will excite film fans when the film eventually hits DVD - because it was deemed too revealing for a PG-13 rated film.

The director tells Playboy magazine, "We had a shot in which Neytiri falls into a specific position, and because she is lit by orange firelight, it lights up the nipples.

"That was good except we're going for a PG-13 rating, so we wound up having to fix it.

"We'll have to put it on the special edition DVD; it will be a collector's item."

I'm not sure what to think yet. I honestly didn't like his last two movies (True Lies and Titanic), but loved all his other movies. By far my favourite of his is the Abyss followed closely by Aliens. Yeah, the Avatar plot seems overdone, but I have faith in his ability to orchestrate some amazing action. Even in Titanic and True Lies, I can't deny how spectacular those action sequences are. And is his best movies, he is able to thread more layers to the story that perhaps were not apparent in the trailers or in a brief plot synopsis. So even though Avatar seems simple and derivative (not to mention the overuse of CGI), I have a feeling there is much more to the plot and movie than meets the eye. I'm hopeful.

Article I found

James Cameron Created Perfect Alien In Zoe Saldana
November 10th, 2009 10:32pm EST Post a comment 3 comments Add to My News

Zoe Saldana pictures Titanic director James Cameron is convinced lusty male film fans will fall in love with Zoe Saldana as a 10-foot tall blue alien in his new movie Avatar - because he has created the perfect imaginary woman.

The pioneering moviemaker used the very latest camera technology to turn actors and actresses into fantasy beings in his alien love story - and he's particularly pleased with the way Saldana's character came out.

Cameron says, "Right from the beginning I said, 'She's got to have t--s... (and) I came up with this free-floating lion's mane-like array of feathers, and we strategically lit and angled shots to not draw attention to her breasts, but they're right there.

"The animation uses a a physics-based sim that takes into consideration gravity, air, movement and the momentum of her hair, her top."

And there's one scene in particular in which Saldana's character, Neytiri, reveals a nipple that will excite film fans when the film eventually hits DVD - because it was deemed too revealing for a PG-13 rated film.

The director tells Playboy magazine, "We had a shot in which Neytiri falls into a specific position, and because she is lit by orange firelight, it lights up the nipples.

"That was good except we're going for a PG-13 rating, so we wound up having to fix it.

"We'll have to put it on the special edition DVD; it will be a collector's item."

Bwhaha, James Cameron is so cool.

Uh...Titanic had boobs. The whole Leo drawing Kate scene showed plenty of her boobs, and it still got PG-13 rating. I don't see why one glimpse of a nipple would push this over to R.

Sounds like JC schmoozing for the 'Playboy' interview to me!
I'm hoping that the movie will show the 'Na'vi' as an aboriginal society with a complex social structure, and as such if the anthropological angle is handled well I fail to see how one of the female characters having naked breasts could upset anyone, well apart from a few puritans and they can just about **** off!

This film is going to be DEEP like Apocalypto with the special effects greater than (a modern day) Independence Day / Abyss /T2.

When i first saw ID4 / T2 in the theaters, it was mind blowing. Never seen Special Effects like that. The same with Apocalypto ... best NEWER movie i've seen in years.

AVATAR has the ingredients to be (one of the) Greatest, if not the Greatest Sci-Fi Epic of ALL-TIME. Best of all James Cameron is pulling all the strings.

I CANNOT WAIT ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

This film is going to be DEEP like Apocalypto with the special effects greater than (a modern day) Independence Day / Abyss /T2.

When i first saw ID4 / T2 in the theaters, it was mind blowing. Never seen Special Effects like that. The same with Apocalypto ... best NEWER movie i've seen in years.

AVATAR has the ingredients to be (one of the) Greatest, if not the Greatest Sci-Fi Epic of ALL-TIME. Best of all James Cameron is pulling all the strings.

Apocalypto had amazing special effects? Like what?

I think I agree on that one...
ID4, not so much... only the opening scenes were cool, like a homage to "V"... :D
Apocalypto had amazing special effects? Like what?

Yes... yes it did... :rolleyes:

Main Entry: special effects
Function: noun plural
Date: 1937
: visual or sound effects introduced into a motion picture, video recording, or taped television production

I think I agree on that one...
ID4, not so much... only the opening scenes were cool, like a homage to "V"... :D

Yes... yes it did... :rolleyes:

ID4 was a ground breaking BLOCKBUSTER when it came to SCI-FI special effects.

Much like the Abyss & T2.

I didn't notice anything special about Apocalypto, so it being groundbreaking is news to me.

I don't know if I would call it groundbreaking, I think it was great that it was completely spoken in Maya and had some amazing visuals and very powerful story-line, one of the most underrated movies of the last few years IMO... unfortunately it suffered from the Gibson DUI and all the tabloid backlash...

Yeah, Gibson is a nut, but I still enjoy a lot of his stuff. I liked Apocalypto but I don't think I'd consider it more visually stimulating or having better special effects than other films at the time.

I really liked ID4!

Well, except for Will Smith. :monkey4

Now this is a story all about how...

fresh-prince-of-bel-air-will-smith.jpg

:lol:lol

Back