Jabba 12" Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Jabba 12" Image Thread

for everything right about the new one there's something wrong with it too to me (seam lines visible under certain lighting, slightly cartoonish/caricature sculpt, body shape slightly squished, oversized hands, ultra-fragile Salacious, $200-too-much price, no option for curved tail.)

I agree with this. The new is not perfect. I've said from the get-go that the face is caricature. I don't care for the straight tail personally. I also find the skin texture a bit rough or bumpy or too defined. If I'm really going at it: I would prefer a set of eyes somewhere between the mid-narrow and wide ones actually, and a slightly more open mouth even. And the tongue mouth is useless to me -- too exaggerated.

But one can get a very good Jabba expression out of what is given, plus with a very satisfying paint-job and tons of improved extras... on the shelf the new one just simply looks like the Mighty Jabba right out of the box.

Again, with a professional paintjob the original can look fantastic but besides painting Jabba you really need to repaint the entire throne, railing and hookah as well as get some actual pillows. And yes, it would take a professional artist to make it look correct. Not just any newb with a brush can get the right colors. Granted, any color on old Jabba is an improvement, but... well, subtle color variances without the aid of an airbrush is extremely difficult to pull off. I used to paint garage kits and got pretty good at it -- those days are long gone now as is my skill -- but even then I wouldn't have been able to get much out of a Jabba kit.

Crumb is a wash. I will say I would have been fine using the ancient Crumb so he can fall without worry. I don't like this new fragile Crumb.

Last edited:

Nope. I own the original and its not a hard choice for me at all. Coming up with the money is though. Not sure I can get it done unless this stays available for quite some time.

New Jabba all the way. For everything right about the old one there's something very wrong with it, so I just don't see the justifications except an "on-paper" thing for people. I mean, what good is a 'better face' when it's painted so poorly? Or the odd, severe pear-shape body.

Now if you do a professional repaint, then that's a whole different thing. The old Jabba can look great and probably closer to movie-accurate despite the shape problems and underscale.... but keeping it as-is and saying its better just doesn't compute for me. It's also funny hearing this from people who are well known for being pretty darn particular and exacting about the slightest details, yet forgive Jabba for some major flaws.

You can sell old Jabba. I got half the cost selling mine

Doesn't look like I can get much for him. Maybe $100-$130 at best on ebay. I only have Jabba and Crumb, never got the throne.

Unfortunately, it is more feasible for me to pay a $350 paintjob on old Jabba than to pay $800 for the new.

I'm still trying to figure how I can get the whole new Jabba set-up -- and for once have the throne and Jabba all in one and ready and done. I just haven't figured out a clever way to convince myself its worth the $900 it will ultimately cost. :lol

Then there's that $2500 86inch 4K LG LCD TV that someone told me about.... :slap

I'm still trying to figure how I can get the whole new Jabba set-up --

Bet $800 against the Rams.

And skip the mega TV for now, that 4k tech is changing so damn fast and hasn't yet reached it's potential. Just get something "good enough for now" and buy something better in a couple years when everything catches up. You will end up with 2 TVs and probably a better one for less money at the end of the rainbow.

Doesn't look like I can get much for him. Maybe $100-$130 at best on ebay.

This seems low to me. There are a few auctions that ended around $150ish, but at least one or two seem to be because the seller put the BIN price too low or for some reason there was only a single bid. But more seem to be at the $200 to $250 level. I feel like it would sell if you put it up at a BIN of $250. (Side note: I once won a Sideshow 12" Jabba for $40 because it was poorly titled and I was the only bidder.)

I also question whether it's a good idea to pay $350 to have him repainted (if that is indeed the going rate). $250 + $350 = pretty close to the new Jabba in price, and you get all of the extras that come with him. Food for thought.

This seems low to me. There are a few auctions that ended around $150ish, but at least one or two seem to be because the seller put the BIN price too low or for some reason there was only a single bid. But more seem to be at the $200 to $250 level. I feel like it would sell if you put it up at a BIN of $250. (Side note: I once won a Sideshow 12" Jabba for $40 because it was poorly titled and I was the only bidder.)

I also question whether it's a good idea to pay $350 to have him repainted (if that is indeed the going rate). $250 + $350 = pretty close to the new Jabba in price, and you get all of the extras that come with him. Food for thought.

No, I only have old Jabba... no throne. $250 for just Jabba on ebay? I see asking at that price but not completed. Also, deduct the $50 or so shipping off the sold price. Maybe prices will get better when the new Jabba puts a taste in people's mouth for the "superior" (meaning cheaper) old one.

So $120 + $350 = $470... about half the $900 needed for new Jabba delivered (granted I would gain the throne too)

I think you are making a jabba repaint sound way too easy for most folks. I would guess over 90 percent of the boardies here would fail miserably at trying to paint old jabba in a way that looks even close to as good as the new version. Probably even more yet would fail on the eyes. If you already own the old Jabba AND are an excellent painter I can see taking it on. Else you would be saving yourself a lot of grief just saving up for the new version or paying a pro to repaint the old one.

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm just saying that it's not like the SSC/HT Jedi Luke thing - my guess is even moderately skilled customizers could do a decent enough job - but yeah, most on here are not customizers at all, so that excludes most boardies. But it's not only the highly skilled/talented customizers on here who could do a nice job.

For the eyes I was considering printing a photo of the new SSC Jabba eyes, or using a pic of the real Jabba puppet's eyes. Ironically enough, the new Jabba's eyes seem to be printed decals anyway - done the same way. I did something similar on my ATAT driver custom where I printed a somewhat hi-res pic of the driver's chestbox decal. You print on photo paper then peel the two layers of white paper off the back ,just leaving the emulsion. You glue it on with clear gloss then finish it with clear gloss.

I agree with this. The new is not perfect. I've said from the get-go that the face is caricature. I don't care for the straight tail personally. I also find the skin texture a bit rough or bumpy or too defined. If I'm really going at it: I would prefer a set of eyes somewhere between the mid-narrow and wide ones actually, and a slightly more open mouth even. And the tongue mouth is useless to me -- too exaggerated.

But one can get a very good Jabba expression out of what is given, plus with a very satisfying paint-job and tons of improved extras... on the shelf the new one just simply looks like the Mighty Jabba right out of the box.

Again, with a professional paintjob the original can look fantastic but besides painting Jabba you really need to repaint the entire throne, railing and hookah as well as get some actual pillows. And yes, it would take a professional artist to make it look correct. Not just any newb with a brush can get the right colors. Granted, any color on old Jabba is an improvement, but... well, subtle color variances without the aid of an airbrush is extremely difficult to pull off. I used to paint garage kits and got pretty good at it -- those days are long gone now as is my skill -- but even then I wouldn't have been able to get much out of a Jabba kit.

Crumb is a wash. I will say I would have been fine using the ancient Crumb so he can fall without worry. I don't like this new fragile Crumb.

I saw an old custom of yours a few montsh ago and it's pretty damn nice in the paint department - I'd think you'd be one of those ones who could give old jabba his due.:dunno But without the throne you have much more reason to get the new one.

I'm surprised people bought the old Jabba without throne, and that the throne was available separately at all - very strange, though maybe someone could use the figure as a SE Jabba - ie slicing around his belly and rotating him so his tail is behind him. It's just a bit weird having a Jabba without throne.

No, I'm only talking about the Jabba figure. You can't get Jabba and throne for anywhere near $250. Check the completed listings. And why would you have to pay $50 shipping? That's for the buyer to pay.

I thought maybe you added the shipping. I mean, I checked again myself, and yeah there's a couple at $250 or so but that seems like the higher price and boxed up nice. A lot more for under $200. I have the art box but not the Styrofoam inserts anymore.

Anyway, I know you're trying to get me onboard... and I already am... just not financially yet. :)

I just feel you're underestimating the value of the stock Sideshow Jabba. Not having the box (essentially, since you don't have the styrofoam) will hurt it somewhat though. Do you have the inclusive version?

I just feel you're underestimating the value of the stock Sideshow Jabba. Not having the box (essentially, since you don't have the styrofoam) will hurt it somewhat though. Do you have the inclusive version?

Wow, was Sideshow way ahead of the game with that "Inclusive" term or what?:lol

I've been looking at an old custom of yours and it's pretty damn nice in the paint department - I'd think you'd be one of those ones who could give old jabba his due.:dunno But without the throne you have much more reason to get the new one.

I'm surprised people bought the old Jabba without throne, and that the throne was available separately at all - very strange, though maybe someone could use the figure as a SE Jabba - ie slicing around his belly and rotating him so his tail is behind him. It's just a bit weird having a Jabba without throne.

Well thanks. No idea which old custom, but hopefully the picture was from far enough away where it looked good. :lol

Anyway, yeah the lack of throne is definitely a big plus for the upgrade in this new ones case. I didn't want to fork over the cash back in the day -- still have that issue now with Jabba yet again -- for the entire throne. Since I don't use stands I figured old Jabba would look fine standing bare with all my other figures. As unfortunate as it is to mimic the SE, yes, Jabba travels without throne was my thought. Of course he's much better with the throne and now that I have Tarkin and a chair and Emperor and his throne, well, the Jabba throne makes a lot more sense. We're going back to the early, early days of 1/6th displays you know...

Well thanks. No idea which old custom, but hopefully the picture was from far enough away where it looked good. :lol

Anyway, yeah the lack of throne is definitely a big plus for the upgrade in this new ones case. I didn't want to fork over the cash back in the day -- still have that issue now with Jabba yet again -- for the entire throne. Since I don't use stands I figured old Jabba would look fine standing bare with all my other figures. As unfortunate as it is to mimic the SE, yes, Jabba travels without throne was my thought. Of course he's much better with the throne and now that I have Tarkin and a chair and Emperor and his throne, well, the Jabba throne makes a lot more sense. We're going back to the early, early days of 1/6th displays you know...

Yeah, the Sideshow Jabba was actually the first 1/6 collectible I ever bought - yet I really didn't respond to anything else Sideshow was doing at the time (despite a buddy of mine raving about the Indy Belloq :)slap) and a few others) and really didn't dive in until several years later.

Making a "better" version and only making it available to a limited number of people? I demand an investigation and explanation!

:lol

I'm really looking forward to getting the slug in and hopefully adding characters to my palace display over time.

Again great work on your repaint, it looks terrific! :duff

Thanks; I appreciate that a great deal! :duff

I'm anxious to see more in-hand pics of the new Jabba, and hope you post some when yours arrives. And yeah, adding characters around Jabba is one of the most rewarding things about having a throne setup. It works to enhance the presentation value of both Jabba and the other characters/creatures.

Here's a kinda crappy pic of where my Jabba is right now; resting atop two Detolf cabinets. I need to make at least a couple of custom characters to add to the display if Sideshow doesn't solicit any soon. Also going to make some pillows (something you'll be fortunate to get plenty of with the new set), and maybe a few other set pieces. One of the cool things about having a throne, once you find a spot for it, is trying out different ways to lay everything out.

JabbaThrone003.jpg

Back