Jabba 12" Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Jabba 12" Image Thread

Thanks; I appreciate that a great deal! :duff

I'm anxious to see more in-hand pics of the new Jabba, and hope you post some when yours arrives. And yeah, adding characters around Jabba is one of the most rewarding things about having a throne setup. It works to enhance the presentation value of both Jabba and the other characters/creatures.

Here's a kinda crappy pic of where my Jabba is right now; resting atop two Detolf cabinets. I need to make at least a couple of custom characters to add to the display if Sideshow doesn't solicit any soon. Also going to make some pillows (something you'll be fortunate to get plenty of with the new set), and maybe a few other set pieces. One of the cool things about having a throne, once you find a spot for it, is trying out different ways to lay everything out.

View attachment 442259

I am LOVING these re-painted original Jabbas that are turning up in here since the new one showed. Not knocking the new one (it's cool) but the original can look pretty great with the right paint job. That sculpt is still great.

The set-up here is cool too!

For those looking to keep their old jabbas, I thought I'd post a few pics of the "fudged Jabba height" I've mentioned a few times. The figure is under-height by a bit (especially compared to the new better scaled Jabba, which I'm currently removing the center support from a Besta in order to accomodate - Jabba gets needs a "double-wide":lol) but it can be tweaked easily.

Basically all I did was take something flat (preferably oval, maybe 7" by 5") and place it under the dark brown rug - how thick is preference - in the pics below it's just a touch over 1/4" but looks fine up to 3/8". The idea is you then smooth/futz the rug a bit so it tapers gently from the raised rug center. That way the raised area isn't noticeable vs the dias level. Pull the rug as far forward as you can too so you have more to futz (which I didn't do for these pics.)

For scale next to this raised Jabba level I used my old modded Hasbro :)horror) Bib Fortuna only because it has the correct height for Bib (it's a bit over 12 1/2" tall,) vs the stock Sideshow, which is too short for Bib. I think the stock SSC Bib is around 12" to the very top of his "alien bump" head.

ZHKMgmx.jpg

Jabba's height is extremely difficult to pinpoint - dark set, filming from low/canted angles, various level steps next to him that aren't at dias height, the curve of the ceiling above making most people next to him need to hunch in order not to bump their head (ie so they aren't standing up straight).

Here is the only pic (I've looked at many dozens) I've found where Carter/Bib is clearly and fully standing on the same dias plane as Jabba (many pics he seems to be either on the lower side-step or half on the step and half on the dias, leaning/crouching to some degree, or its simply unclear/too dark.) So this pic is kind of unique.

It's not perfect though. Bib's head isn't quite straight up and down in this pic - he's clearly shoulder-hunching forward and head's leaning forward/down a bit so he doesn't bump his head on the ceiling - so he'd be slightly taller if he stood up completely straight with head level.

You can see that if Bib stood up fully straight, Jabba would come up to just under Bib's "human" chin, or possibly between the human and double chin.

hZ8bSFj.png

Here is the modded/taller Bib next to raised Jabba. Both the Bib (and Fett below) are positioned exactly next to the tallest part of Jabba, and are supported on a platform that is exactly the same height as the main dias level.

You can see that Jabba doesn't quite come up to the height-corrected Bib figure's "human" chin - but it's fairly close and a decent enough match to the Jabba/Bib ref pic above, though my modded Bib's head is also leaning slightly.

7VOFCtd.jpg

And here is raised Jabba next to stock HT ESB Fett. For my liking, Jabba should come up to the horizontal part of Fett's "T" visor (here he only comes up to half way up the vertical part of Fett's "T" visor,) but this is close enough for a dio.

Using a 3/8" riser would almost fix it completely, but the closer you get to the full 1/2" riser the more the risk of it looking like the rug's getting suspiciously high up off the dias level. 3/8" was the highest I felt you could go - any higher and I noticed the raised rug, though I was looking for it.

E9TsDG1.jpg

Re: Jabba 12" Image Thread

Cool setup. Looks great!!

That looks great, ajp4mgs. Nice repaint and setup.

The set-up here is cool too!

Thanks a lot, guys. :duff

For those looking to keep their old jabbas, I thought I'd post a few pics of the "fudged Jabba height" I've mentioned a few times. The figure is under-height by a bit (especially compared to the new better scaled Jabba, which I'm currently removing the center support from a Besta in order to accomodate - Jabba gets needs a "double-wide":lol) but it can be tweaked easily.

Basically all I did was take something flat (preferably oval, maybe 7" by 5") and place it under the dark brown rug - how thick is preference - in the pics below it's just a touch over 1/4" but looks fine up to 3/8". The idea is you then smooth/futz the rug a bit so it tapers gently from the raised rug center. That way the raised area isn't noticeable vs the dias level. Pull the rug as far forward as you can too so you have more to futz (which I didn't do for these pics.)

That's a pretty cool idea, TaliBane. :clap You got me thinking of other ways to manipulate Jabba's height (since I hate using the rug that came with the throne). What I ended up doing is putting a small 3/4"-tall block of wood under Jabba, but only under the very back part (against the rail) so that his belly still makes contact with the throne slab. It merely tilts him forward, but still ends up increasing his apparent height by 3/8" or so.

When I lined up an HT Fett (ESB helmet on ROTJ version) next to the raised Jabba, it became evident that Jabba still appears too short (by maybe 1/4" to 3/8"). There's also a problem with part of his tail being elevated above the ground (but I can cover that section with pillows). There is one extra advantage, though: tilting Jabba forward with the block of wood actually produces a more screen-accurate posture/angle. All in all, not a bad trade-off.

The pic below shows how the adjusted Jabba looks next to Fett.

JabbaSize05a.jpg

The C-3PO in that pic is a modified Hasbro figure (the undersized TFA Threepio from a Target 3-Pack). I changed the midsection to make him taller and more consistent with his ROTJ look, and was able to get him to 11.5 inches tall (equating to 5'9" in full scale). I put him next to the raised Jabba for the sake of the comparison pic below.

JabbaSize05b.jpg

What stuns me is how well-proportioned the old Jabba seems in a side-by-side comp, especially knowing that the figure is almost a full inch too short! I don't understand how, but seeing Jabba match up so well (in terms of proportions) with a movie photo was a really nice surprise. Makes me wonder what people are seeing when they say that the original sculpt is no good. :huh Looks pretty accurate to me.

Youz peeps have too much free time on your hands.

Representin' for you and all of my peeps.

yoda-winner-for-best-fight-award-with-christopher-lee-in-the-movie-picture-id75481389

That's looking pretty spot-on there. And yeah, that rug isn't very convincing (one of the rugs with the new Jabba also isn't too well done) and I've been meaning to take a look at redoing it pretty much since I got it. Great idea on the tilt forward to make him seem taller though - mostly because he doesn't look like he's leaning forward and it does look a bit more accurate.

I'm also considering popping out the "hatch" under the Jabba figure and looking at ways to push something into the hollow tail to make it look vertically taller. The tail needs some thickening, mostly in the area halfway between the end and where it meets the body.

In your reference pics, Jabba's hand doesn't look too much larger than 3PO's hand.

I'm also considering popping out the "hatch" under the Jabba figure and looking at ways to push something into the hollow tail to make it look vertically taller. The tail needs some thickening, mostly in the area halfway between the end and where it meets the body.

The tricky thing with the tail is that when it's curled in the movie, it tucks in far more than it does on the figure. That makes it deceptive as to how thick it should be in different sections.

In the following screenshot, look at how much room there is around C-3PO on the throne slab. The tail is curved beyond the first gargoyle from the left, and even beyond the fur rug. And even where it bends, it still only comes up to C-3PO's knees (at most). If you look at the figure pic I posted yesterday with Fett, and imagine the figure's tail being bent that same way (relative to the throne and 3PO's knees), it's actually not that far off.

JabbaTail01.jpg

Another way to put it is to look at the tail when it's straight, since that's an easier way to envision the figure's tail being reposed. Just imagine an Oola figure posed the way she is in this next screenshot, and sitting right above the second gargoyle from the left. The tail would be really close to the proper proportions, imo.

JabbaTail02.jpg

As for width (rather than just height), the best shot from above that I've seen is a really blurry one (sorry) - but you can still get a good sense for it. The figure's tail really wouldn't need much (if any) modification if you imagined it being fully straight like in the set photo. I think the biggest problem is that the figure's tail doesn't curve the way we're used to seeing it in the movie. That makes it look more "off" than it is in actuality. Ironically, if they'd made it straight, it might have looked more accurate.

JabbaTail03.jpg

In your reference pics, Jabba's hand doesn't look too much larger than 3PO's hand.

Yep, the slug's hands are pretty tiny. It's another thing that I think Sideshow got right the first time. You can kinda see it in the comp pic above. And the arm length too; just about spot on. But I really wish the arms had a rotating/ball joint at the shoulder. Would've been so much better for posing.

That last comp pic shows the only real off part on the original sculpt with the belly, the curve ends to flush to the throne where you see curve going under him on the puppet, I think this leads to the perception of his belly being too big. You can see in that shot, overall proportions are on point, just a slightl shape discrepancy.

That last comp pic shows the only real off part on the original sculpt with the belly, the curve ends to flush to the throne where you see curve going under him on the puppet, I think this leads to the perception of his belly being too big. You can see in that shot, overall proportions are on point, just a slightl shape discrepancy.

His head is too far back and too small. and the belly sticks out too far.

I see the belly sticking out quite a lot - even if you chose an angle that makes it hard to see

de68817cdcbdf95e401df0161904eae2.jpg

Try with this one

That reference photo is impossible to match up because Jabba's mouth is open (dropping his chin quite a bit), his eyes are opened wide, and his head is turned more toward Bib than the static pose of the figure will allow. The entire structure of his face also changes when the puppeteers are creating a more exaggerated expression like that.

This old Sideshow Jabba has a neutral and closed-mouth expression, so the only fair way to do photo matches would be to use reference pics with the same expression (as I did on the previous page). But I still gave this one a shot anyway because I enjoy doing this stuff too much. :lol

**Keep in mind that my Jabba has a small wooden block underneath the back to tilt the figure forward and make it seem taller.**

JabbaMatching01.jpg

Jabba's tail is grossly misrepresented in my photo because I had to turn the whole figure in order to match the torso angle, and I obviously can't curl the tail inward the way it is in the movie. Also, Jabba's head would need to be able to turn more toward Bib (to the point where more of the left side of his face would be out of view, and more back of the head would be showing). But all things considered, I think my photo comes close enough for a decent general comparison.

Do you still see a problem with the belly being too big, slikkerias? I'm really curious to know what some people are finding so lacking in the sculpt. By no means am I suggesting that this old Jabba figure is perfect. In fact, it's almost an inch too short (a seemingly unsolvable problem). As everyone knows, the stock paint job was pretty bad too. And there are still some other nitpicks I have as well. But I think the notion that the sculpt likeness is lacking in any major way would be overstating things too much. I still think it's a fantastic likeness, but I love reading other opinions on it.

That reference photo is impossible to match up because Jabba's mouth is open (dropping his chin quite a bit), his eyes are opened wide, and his head is turned more toward Bib than the static pose of the figure will allow. The entire structure of his face also changes when the puppeteers are creating a more exaggerated expression like that.

This old Sideshow Jabba has a neutral and closed-mouth expression, so the only fair way to do photo matches would be to use reference pics with the same expression (as I did on the previous page). But I still gave this one a shot anyway because I enjoy doing this stuff too much. :lol

**Keep in mind that my Jabba has a small wooden block underneath the back to tilt the figure forward and make it seem taller.**

View attachment 443222

Jabba's tail is grossly misrepresented in my photo because I had to turn the whole figure in order to match the torso angle, and I obviously can't curl the tail inward the way it is in the movie. Also, Jabba's head would need to be able to turn more toward Bib (to the point where more of the left side of his face would be out of view, and more back of the head would be showing). But all things considered, I think my photo comes close enough for a decent general comparison.

Do you still see a problem with the belly being too big, slikkerias? I'm really curious to know what some people are finding so lacking in the sculpt. By no means am I suggesting that this old Jabba figure is perfect. In fact, it's almost an inch too short (a seemingly unsolvable problem). As everyone knows, the stock paint job was pretty bad too. And there are still some other nitpicks I have as well. But I think the notion that the sculpt likeness is lacking in any major way would be overstating things too much. I still think it's a fantastic likeness, but I love reading other opinions on it.

Well, I think you do some fine work. But I have this old Jabba and I’m not as pleased as you are. The paint does hurt it a lot though.
The tummy doesn’t bother me much, but now that we’re nitpicking I do believe that it’s sticking out significantly more than it should compared to the head.

Well, I think you do some fine work. But I have this old Jabba and I’m not as pleased as you are. The paint does hurt it a lot though.
The tummy doesn’t bother me much, but now that we’re nitpicking I do believe that it’s sticking out significantly more than it should compared to the head.

First of all, thank you! :duff As far as being pleased (or not) with this old Jabba, I guess it just comes down (as so many things do) to "eye of the beholder." That's why it's great that there are two entirely different Jabba options out there now. A better chance for everyone to have a Jabba they can be happy enough with. Still no "perfect" one, though - nor will there likely ever be.

And while I do like the original sculpt a great deal, I hate that the figure is so much shorter than it should be. I admire the likeness and proportions, but I fully recognize that it failed in terms of being a true 1/6 scale Jabba. We can probably agree there.

Oh, snap! Payment processing... [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

i was about to get him until my shower took a dump and had to replace that :mad: the cost was just as much as jabba. oh well maybe next year if he still around. might buy a speeder bike instead :naughty

Sorry to dig out that thread. I know it's a very long shot but if there is one place where i can get help, i believe this is it.

I recently broke a part of my Sideshow original version 1/6 Throne and i'm looking to replace it. Here under is a pic of the part i am looking for.

fullsizeoutput_2bf5.jpeg

Back