Jabba 12" Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything looks great... Awesome job! I plan on touching up/repainting the new Jabba’s eyes. Seems like they need a bit more yellow and to be a bit more “cat-like.” I’ll have to see when in hand first.

Thank you! :duff

I hope you end up posting pics of whatever changes you make to the new Jabba eyes. The eyes on the new figure seem far superior to the old ones, so I'm really curious to see how even further improvement will look.

It's frustrating - pics like this make the case for sticking with the old Jabba for me. With the repaint this old sculpt just looks more like movie accurate Jabba than the new one, even though I really like the new sculpt too.:gah: And with a careful repaint the old throne (and rail/bowl) could look as good as the new throne - it's more a failure of paint than sculpt, just like with the figure.

I also struggle to see what the upgrade on Salacious is also - the old and new look pretty similar to me in all areas (the new one has a few improvements but also has steps backward like the thicker limbs and extreme fragility.) Both could be elevated with a slightly paler repaint and real fur added.

The issue I struggle with is that the new Jabba is undoubtedly worth $400, maybe even $450, on its own. But I really can't see how the throne is worth $400. And Salacious is more like an accessory - people say he's worth $100 but I see him more like HT Yoda's tree - a value-adding accessory - than a "figure."

For those with the old version, I think it comes down to whether you have the skills to do a great repaint. If you do, then you'll have a Jabba that looks as good as the new one, perhaps even (a bit) more screen accurate - even if it only has the one "look" to the face (which I'm okay with tbh - the old one has a pretty classic Jabba expression.)

The issue for me is I want to think I have the paint skills but in reality I don't - so I'll just end up with a ruined old Jabba I can't sell and STILL buy the new one anyway.:rotfl

I can virtually guarantee that you have the paint skills to get the old Jabba looking the way you want it to. And, think of it this way: even on the off chance that you don't, that'll be the incentive needed to get the new one. A win-win . . . from a certain point of view. :)

And I agree with everything you wrote about the advantages/disadvantages of the two Jabbas, Crumbs, and throne. I can definitely understand your dilemma. I recommend attacking a paint job on the old Jabba. You'll get it looking screen accurate.

For me, the sculpt of Jabba himself transcends the paint. They eyes may lack detail and the colors aren’t right, but overall the light and dark areas are on the correct parts and the sculpt is just perfect. From the earliest Sideshow pics to staring at my figure today, I just always see Jabba as I love the character, despite the shortcomings.

4C70C74F-86F8-40C2-842B-8C435865D648.jpeg

I look at the new one and see a fun “toy” and some nice paintwork, but there are things about the sculpt that to me make it feel like some of Hasbro’s most recent efforts, impressive and some of the best to date, but sculptwise, this figure sets the bar by which I measure all others.

Great repaint, setup ajp4mgs!!

I am probably going to do a repaint on my v1 Jabba since I can't justify over $800 for a replacement figure.

My current setup...

20190126_185533.jpg

I need to figure out a way to get more space.

Last edited:

I am probably going to do a repaint on my v1 Jabba since I can't justify over $800 for a replacement figure.

My current setup...

View attachment 441715

Thank you for the kind words, Chakaman. And thank you for posting another photo of your Palace lineup; your collection of customs has been the benchmark and object of my envy since I've been on this forum. Never ceases to amaze me. As a huge fan of all things Jabba's Palace, it is so awesome to see a collection like yours in the 1/6 scale. A few years back, I put together an extensive diorama of the palace for 3 3/4" figures, and would love to do at least a throne room in 1/6 scale. Your photos give me inspiration to build a lineup that would be worth making one for, but also remind me - unfortunately - of how much work and talent it would take.

I can't say enough about how cool it is to see your custom figures (not just the Jabba's Palace ones). Phenomenally outstanding work! :bow

Wow, nice customs there! We really need Sideshow to release more palace aliens.

Thank you. I enjoyed your review of the new Jabba, well done.

Thank you for the kind words, Chakaman. And thank you for posting another photo of your Palace lineup; your collection of customs has been the benchmark and object of my envy since I've been on this forum. Never ceases to amaze me. As a huge fan of all things Jabba's Palace, it is so awesome to see a collection like yours in the 1/6 scale. A few years back, I put together an extensive diorama of the palace for 3 3/4" figures, and would love to do at least a throne room in 1/6 scale. Your photos give me inspiration to build a lineup that would be worth making one for, but also remind me - unfortunately - of how much work and talent it would take.

I can't say enough about how cool it is to see your custom figures (not just the Jabba's Palace ones). Phenomenally outstanding work! :bow

Wow. Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Gotta admit, I was considering buying the new one but I have V1 Jabba and throne and the sculpt is too good on this one. New sculpt looks like garbage and the baby dinosaur on the old Jim Henson Dinosaurs show. ‘Not the baby!’ Overall the new one is a great set but it is costly too. I’m gonna hold off if HT makes one. I could spend $800 on other awesome pieces.

Nice to see some love for the original Jabba and Throne. I think that the new one looks incredible, and if I didn't already have the original, I would definitely get the new one. But I just can't justify the cost to replace the one I already have. Not sure if I have the nerve to try repainting the original though!

Mine is currently part of an in-process full-on diorama. Lighting in the dio is low... hopefully that will be enough to hide the less-than-stellar factory paint.

For me, the sculpt of Jabba himself transcends the paint. They eyes may lack detail and the colors aren’t right, but overall the light and dark areas are on the correct parts and the sculpt is just perfect. From the earliest Sideshow pics to staring at my figure today, I just always see Jabba as I love the character, despite the shortcomings.

View attachment 441708

I look at the new one and see a fun “toy” and some nice paintwork, but there are things about the sculpt that to me make it feel like some of Hasbro’s most recent efforts, impressive and some of the best to date, but sculptwise, this figure sets the bar by which I measure all others.

Well said...I couldn't agree more.

My current setup...

View attachment 441715

once I get some time I`m going to have to show off my squad as well. was thinking of getting the new jabba but not sure now.

Gotta admit, I was considering buying the new one but I have V1 Jabba and throne and the sculpt is too good on this one. New sculpt looks like garbage and the baby dinosaur on the old Jim Henson Dinosaurs show. ‘Not the baby!’ Overall the new one is a great set but it is costly too. I’m gonna hold off if HT makes one. I could spend $800 on other awesome pieces.

:rotflI can actually kind of picture what your leading to.. The babys wide-eyed expression is very similar to some of this new jabbas looks. NOT the MAMA!! :naughty:naughty:naughty:naughty

Wo53LwnYhr5l.jpg

Thank you! :duff

I hope you end up posting pics of whatever changes you make to the new Jabba eyes. The eyes on the new figure seem far superior to the old ones, so I'm really curious to see how even further improvement will look.

I can virtually guarantee that you have the paint skills to get the old Jabba looking the way you want it to. And, think of it this way: even on the off chance that you don't, that'll be the incentive needed to get the new one. A win-win . . . from a certain point of view. :)

And I agree with everything you wrote about the advantages/disadvantages of the two Jabbas, Crumbs, and throne. I can definitely understand your dilemma. I recommend attacking a paint job on the old Jabba. You'll get it looking screen accurate.

I'm probably going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out - I get a "thank you for your order" from Sideshow and I'm $900 poorer.:lol

It's a super tough decision on the new one. I really LOVE that paint. The new sculpt definitely feels slightly cartoonish/caricatured, but I'd still give it a 8.5/10 for likeness though, maybe a 9. The old one's probably a 9.5 - it just perfectly nails the look of the puppet. And this is a really key consideration to me, despite all the ultra-cool bells and whistles the new one has.

I really think Sideshow should have just done two swap-out heads - a tongue-out one and a "leering" (one eye wider, one squinting) classic Jabba one - nobody is going to use those open eyes (ie "Dinosaurs" baby eyes) or the sleeping eyes, same with the flat "resting" arms. And that new "tongue mouth" unfortunaetly is unusable due to the bad paint and the tongue being too far out.

And the old one does have other advantages over the new one.

Even though the body sculpt is a little more detailed on the new one (hard to say if it's just painted better, bringing out the sculpt more) I do feel like the shape is just slightly off - it reminds one of the Hasbro Jabbas where he's slightly collapsed - like the upper torso sinks too far into the lower body, squashing it a bit. The old one doesn't just capture Jabba's head better, it captures his body shape better - even if it isn't quite 100% right either.

The arms - especially the hands - on the new one are noticeably too big. Not sure why this hasn't been discussed more. Jabba's hands aren't too much bigger than a human hand (they were rubber gloves that human fingers actually operated the fingers on) but the new Sideshow Jabba has baseball mitt scaled hands and it really stands out to me. The old Sideshow Jabba got the size right. The little divot in the "index finger" of the new one where the Hookah handle slides in kinda bugs me too.

I'm probably going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out - I get a "thank you for your order" from Sideshow and I'm $900 poorer.:lol

It's a super tough decision on the new one. I really LOVE that paint. The new sculpt definitely feels slightly cartoonish/caricatured, but I'd still give it a 8.5/10 for likeness though, maybe a 9. The old one's probably a 9.5 - it just perfectly nails the look of the puppet. And this is a really key consideration to me, despite all the ultra-cool bells and whistles the new one has.

I really think Sideshow should have just done two swap-out heads - a tongue-out one and a "leering" (one eye wider, one squinting) classic Jabba one - nobody is going to use those open eyes (ie "Dinosaurs" baby eyes) or the sleeping eyes, same with the flat "resting" arms. And that new "tongue mouth" unfortunaetly is unusable due to the bad paint and the tongue being too far out.

And the old one does have other advantages over the new one.

Even though the body sculpt is a little more detailed on the new one (hard to say if it's just painted better, bringing out the sculpt more) I do feel like the shape is just slightly off - it reminds one of the Hasbro Jabbas where he's slightly collapsed - like the upper torso sinks too far into the lower body, squashing it a bit. The old one doesn't just capture Jabba's head better, it captures his body shape better - even if it isn't quite 100% right either.

The arms - especially the hands - on the new one are noticeably too big. Not sure why this hasn't been discussed more. Jabba's hands aren't too much bigger than a human hand (they were rubber gloves that human fingers actually operated the fingers on) but the new Sideshow Jabba has baseball mitt scaled hands and it really stands out to me. The old Sideshow Jabba got the size right. The little divot in the "index finger" of the new one where the Hookah handle slides in kinda bugs me too.

Honestly the which sculpt is more accurate question seems rather subjective based on what screen shot you are looking at and the inconsistencies of the character being a giant slug puppet that looks different from angle to angle and scene to scene. Personally I think the biggest advantage the old Jabba has on the new one is the curved tail opposed to the straight one. Would have been great if the new version came with a great looking swap out tail option. I also think any perceived sculpt advantage of the old version goes out the window when you realize it is well underscaled in comparison to the new.

BTW that repaint looks excellent ajp4mgs! Huge improvement!

Honestly the which sculpt is more accurate question seems rather subjective based on what screen shot you are looking at and the inconsistencies of the character being a giant slug puppet that looks different from angle to angle and scene to scene. Personally I think the biggest advantage the old Jabba has on the new one is the curved tail opposed to the straight one. Would have been great if the new version came with a great looking swap out tail option. I also think any perceived sculpt advantage of the old version goes out the window when you realize it is well underscaled in comparison to the new.

BTW that repaint looks excellent ajp4mgs! Huge improvement!

I still haven't seen much evidence that the old one is underscaled by all that much though (or even a clear pic showing the new vs old height for that matter) even though I've been looking into it as another reason to upgrade.

As far as I can tell, the old one is maybe 1/2" too short vertically, but placing something under it to raise it maybe 1/4" would take care of most of that without it being obvious he's been raised due to the curvature of his belly.

I calculated Jabba should be between 5'-4" and 5'-6" tall, which would mean he should be between 10 3/4" and 11" tall in 1/6. The old Jabba is 10 1/2", the new one seems 11", though his volume (mostly depth) seems to be about 20% more than the old one.

And I actually kind of like the straight tail, mostly because he seems to have a straight tail for a lot of the time onscreen, and also maybe because it's a bit of a change from most Jabbas.

The real problem for me is when you see the old Jabba repainted to the correct colors (and I do think ajp's is slightly too reddish on the belly/tail) it just screams onscreen ROTJ Jabba. It looks like a screen capture from the movie - both in shape and attitude/expression - even without Palace-like lighting.

The new one is just amazingly painted but it feels like a gorgeously finished and even quite accurate statue of Jabba, not like a screen capture from ROTJ or "shrunken-down" Jabba puppet. Maybe it's that slight caricature/cartoon aspect to the sculpt, maybe the face is a bit over the top in terms of the various expressions (none of them seem capture that subtle "sly" Jabba look as well as the old one), maybe the subtle seam lines, not sure. It feels like a very nicely done Jabba toy, not like the puppet slithered off screen.

All this being said, I'm actually starting to wonder if I'll just try to have two Jabbas - I do LOVE Jabba almost as much as icruise does. I just think I'm going to kick myself when this new Jabba is going for $1800 on eBay.:lol I don't regret passing on the Taun or Dewback at all, but this one WILL hurt.:lecture

I went through this entire thread, and honestly, if I already had this version, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on the new one, myself. I missed this version, so the new one was a no-brainer (though still a struggle at that cost). I can certainly understand some people wondering what they should do. Honestly, I think this version looks fine. And as some have clearly pointed out, a paint touch up and this guy shines. It's everyone's personal decision, but the set-ups I've seen in this thread are pretty cool, with or without a repaint. All the surrounding characters help sell the figure, and some of the dios have been really impressive.

Yeah, well I think I already know I'm going to get the new one, I'm just telling myself no for the time being by "discussing positives and negatives."

The question is - can I actually get my wife to believe that the new one is actually the old one that was there in my collection all along?:rotfl

It's that damn mega-charge on the credit card bill that is harder to camouflage. Talk about a sore thumb.:gah:

All this being said, I'm actually starting to wonder if I'll just try to have two Jabbas - I do LOVE Jabba almost as much as icruise does. I just think I'm going to kick myself when this new Jabba is going for $1800 on eBay.:lol I don't regret passing on the Taun or Dewback at all, but this one WILL hurt.:lecture

A bold claim... :D I think you should get it then. Talk of a HT Jabba aside, this might be the high water mark for Jabba collectibles. I don't know if the interest will be there in the future to make something that surpasses this.

I am certainly keeping both of them myself. Even if I didn't feel the need to have every Jabba item in my collection, I think I would still want to keep both versions because they are pretty distinct from each other and each have advantages/disadvantages (although I would certainly go with the new one personally if I could only keep one). My problem is that it is not easy to find the space to display two things of this size in one room... I suppose one option would be to just display the old Jabba figure and not his throne.

A bold claim... :D I think you should get it then. Talk of a HT Jabba aside, this might be the high water mark for Jabba collectibles. I don't know if the interest will be there in the future to make something that surpasses this.

I am certainly keeping both of them myself. Even if I didn't feel the need to have every Jabba item in my collection, I think I would still want to keep both versions because they are pretty distinct from each other and each have advantages/disadvantages (although I would certainly go with the new one personally if I could only keep one). My problem is that it is not easy to find the space to display two things of this size in one room... I suppose one option would be to just display the old Jabba figure and not his throne.

Just to be curious, have you tried putting the old Jabba on the new throne, and the new Jabba on the old throne? Wondering how that would have worked out if SS did sell this new set separately like they did with the original set.

Would love to see how that would look if you have the time/patience...

That would actually have been a good thing to try. But I have already started putting things back in place in my office display so it’s hard to get good photographs now. In any case the new throne is really very similar in size to the old one so I probably wouldn’t be that big of a difference either way.

I still haven't seen much evidence that the old one is underscaled by all that much though (or even a clear pic showing the new vs old height for that matter) even though I've been looking into it as another reason to upgrade.

As far as I can tell, the old one is maybe 1/2" too short vertically, but placing something under it to raise it maybe 1/4" would take care of most of that without it being obvious he's been raised due to the curvature of his belly.

I calculated Jabba should be between 5'-4" and 5'-6" tall, which would mean he should be between 10 3/4" and 11" tall in 1/6. The old Jabba is 10 1/2", the new one seems 11", though his volume (mostly depth) seems to be about 20% more than the old one.

Well I think it has been said that the new version is approximately 1 full inch taller when both are sitting on their respective thrones. Here are three pics that I believe show that if anything the new one may still be slightly too short. I could be overlooking something though, I am by no means an expert.
d0f79e57a0ed9016d9b5ac934c1e3132.jpg
5e9c99550198af1aa58df14dbd8461a6.jpg
5d12ef4428af2c89de550c5ef649431b.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Back