J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been reimagined at best, dumbed down the same old plots for the masses but newsflash, ST was doing fine before JJ made it cool for the idiots. They had i dunno, a dozen feature films, 5-600 or more hours of television.

ST was dead. No movies, no TV, nada. And there's no need for that "dumbed down" malarkey. Come on. That's insulting.

The new ST doesn't make any pretensions as to being what it is, a fun sci-fi romp, in ST colours. The "old", ST, despite all the mythos that surrounds it, never pretended to be much more than that either.

I'm old enough to have seen the original movies in cinemas, and I think ST II is one of the best sci-fi films ever made (and I remember crying when Spock died - sue me), so I'm certainly not new to the ST universe... I'm no "new fan". I just enjoy the new ST for what it is. I don't need or want it to be "old" ST.

Yes, the continuity doesn't quite match up, but I don't need it to. It's entertainment, and good entertainment at that.

Dumbed down. Hmph. Hate that sort of nonsense.

I've just been reading through this thread, and I cannot believe how people are just picking films apart on miniscule and trivial levels now. It's like anything that is released is never going to be good enough, no matter what film makers do.

Gone are the days of chilling the **** out and just enjoying a movie. To me, it just seems so exhausting and tiring to be so up tight and critical of minute details.

Oh, and whenever I see "I HATE this movie" or "This is an insult", I just can't help but think "Wow... really... a MOVIE has riled you up THAT much? I'd dread to see you react to a real world scenario that genuinely warrants that kind of emotional response..."

I'm just glad I can still enjoy my favourite form of entertainment :yess:

Your surrounded by geeks that get a kick out of doing just that. Luckily I was bored to tears when I tried to watch ST when I was younger, so I have no clue what your all talking about :lol

As for JJ rebooting this franchise, he has made it very cool in my eye. I have absolutely loved both films! SIMPLES!!!

Your surrounded by geeks that get a kick out of doing just that. Luckily I was bored to tears when I tried to watch ST when I was younger, so I have no clue what your all talking about :lol

As for JJ rebooting this franchise, he has made it very cool in my eye. I have absolutely loved both films! SIMPLES!!!

Don't feel bad in any way. I'm an older (albeit a little bit casual) ST fan, and I feel the same way with respect to loving it. Abram's done a great job bringing ST, and the characters and universe I have really enjoyed over the years back to the screen after years in limbo. Roll on #3. :hi5:

The way I see it is that the best original cast and Next Generation movies have been similar in tone to the J.J Abrams films, e.g Wrath of Khan, The undiscovered country and First Contact. They have been more action oriented than you normally got on the TV shows. Insurrection was more in tone to a TV episode and it just did not feel right on the big screen.

I'm sure my posts have been counted in the ''geek picking the film apart down to minute details'' category - and unfairly so. I very much enjoyed the 2009 film. All I've been saying is, since it is only an alternate timeline (basically like the mirror universe in TOS, DS9 etc) and is not intended to wipe out the pre-existing Star Trek Universe (as Batman Begins wipes out the Tim Burton Batmans) then certain things should be adhered to. And if they're not going to adhere to them then there should be at least an attempt at an explanation.

I never said I couldn't enjoy new Star Trek. And I don't know why people equate a desire to talk about possible issues with it as some kind of inability to enjoy it.

I was hoping there would be a 5 year/season show of a starship crew that takes place druing or b/f TWOK era. Movie version ship, uniforms.....:dunno

I saw it today and I must say it was really good. If you liked the previous film my guess is you're gonna love this one too, as I did.

Saw it about half hour ago, my wife didn't understand why I was laughing when Chekov was asked to put on a certain coloured shirt!

The film was very referential, which I think works, I got a kick out of the references and the wife just enjoyed it without having seen any previous Star Trek

I loved it though, much more enjoyable than Iron Man 3

ST was dead. No movies, no TV, nada. And there's no need for that "dumbed down" malarkey. Come on. That's insulting.

The new ST doesn't make any pretensions as to being what it is, a fun sci-fi romp, in ST colours. The "old", ST, despite all the mythos that surrounds it, never pretended to be much more than that either.

I'm old enough to have seen the original movies in cinemas, and I think ST II is one of the best sci-fi films ever made (and I remember crying when Spock died - sue me), so I'm certainly not new to the ST universe... I'm no "new fan". I just enjoy the new ST for what it is. I don't need or want it to be "old" ST.

Yes, the continuity doesn't quite match up, but I don't need it to. It's entertainment, and good entertainment at that.

Dumbed down. Hmph. Hate that sort of nonsense.

Excuse me Sir, but that is YOUR opinion just like everyone else on a discussion forum is entitled to theirs

Bottom line for me, I look more forward to Star Trek than what I saw last night in the theater Iron Man 3. No doubt.

Absolutely loved this movie, was brilliantly done and as soon as we got home I put Star Trek II Wrath of Khan on for old times sake, still as charming as ever :D

J J Abrams did a wonderful job, best movie experience so far this year for me.

Back