J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoiler Spoiler:

They should have tackled Garry Mitchell first when they couldn't lock down Del Toro. Mitchell could have served the same exact purposes as Cumberbatch in this movie without changing the race of the character and furthing more properly setting up this story.

You make a sound point. I just don't think it's THAT big of a deal, and I would consider myself a huge ST fan...but then again, I didn't really have a problem with the Manderin thing either, and I grew up reading IM comics. I guess I'm just happy we finally have some more quality ST films, and ANY IM films...if they take creative license here and there, what's the big deal? Would people prefer that these movies weren't made at all? I just think some people need to relax about it and try to enjoy the movies. :)

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yep! :goodpost:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

What sucks is it seems like this is what we're in for every outing with this cast. They will have to explain how time travel slightly alters an original story. It's super ****ing lame. Write your own new stories and completely new characters, this is like me crossing out Coke with permanant marker, writing on "Deckard's Soda" and selling it as my own original product. Every ST from now on will have to cater to that one plot element from the first. It's going to get old really fast.

Last edited:
I would echo all of Deckard's points.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

problem solved. :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Errrr. No. It intended to show all races working together for the betterment of humanity. However it was never a universe in which characters changed race for no stated reason. They even have an explanation for why klingons looked different from the 79 movie onwards.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Gene's real vision. And I don't think Gene would be terribly keen on Carol Marcus's role as eye candy.

On the brightside I think this franchise is going to die soon, J.J. doing Star Wars, I have a tough time believing Paramount will continue to let him helm these too. It'd be like Whedon rebooting Batman for DC and still directing A2 for Marvel.

Last edited:
I thought the film was excellent

Spoiler Spoiler:

Errrr. No. It intended to show all races working together for the betterment of humanity. However it was never a universe in which characters changed race for no stated reason. They even have an explanation for why klingons looked different from the 79 movie onwards.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

The fact that we know they tryed to cast Benicio first puts any debate to sleep and makes it simply sloppy writing. The end. It doesn't mean you can't like his role, it just makes him a complication like Nimoy that they now have to adhere to for every movie.

Using that logic, Kirk is half Norse-God because the actor that played his father played Thor in another movie.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Using that logic, Kirk is half Norse-God because the actor that played his father played Thor in another movie.

Not even close. JJ made a very conscience decision to tie the two ST universes togeather in 1. Now he's stuck adhering to that formula on all of them.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Not even close. JJ made a very conscience decision to tie the two ST universes togeather in 1. Now he's stuck adhering to that formula on all of them.

No, JJ Abrams made a conscious decision to reboot/re-imagine/revitalize the franchise while not invalidating all the work that was done before by the actors that played those same roles. He did that out of respect to the franchise and fans, and understanding how attached people have been to those characters for almost 50 years.

He's only 'stuck' if you aren't accepting the fact that the franchise was rebooted.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Spoiler Spoiler:

No, JJ Abrams made a conscious decision to reboot/re-imagine/revitalize the franchise while not invalidating all the work that was done before by the actors that played those same roles. He did that out of respect to the franchise and fans, and understanding how attached people have been to those characters for almost 50 years.

He's only 'stuck' if you aren't accepting the fact that the franchise was rebooted.

It wasn't rebooted. :lol
Spoiler Spoiler:
It's been reimagined at best, dumbed down the same old plots for the masses but newsflash, ST was doing fine before JJ made it cool for the idiots. They had i dunno, a dozen feature films, 5-600 or more hours of television.

Back