J.J. Abrams' Fringe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't expecting much, the reviews haven't been great - but I liked it a lot. The world is much like Lost with the fake companies and a little more sci-fi with the bionic arm and the MD's walls. I also like Mark Valley a lot.
Spoiler Spoiler:

I thought the episode was really good. They've definitely made it so there's a lot to explore in future episodes. I guess that's no surprise with Abrams.

The actor playing Broyles was from Lost, correct?

I wasn't expecting much, the reviews haven't been great - but I liked it a lot. The world is much like Lost with the fake companies and a little more sci-fi with the bionic arm and the MD's walls. I also like Mark Valley a lot.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

While I enjoyed the pilot, I didn't see anything creative or original about it that justified the parlaying of the "From the creators of Lost" tagline. From the initial impression the show seems very derivative of past sci-fi shows, i.e. X-Files (pretty obvious comparison).

I'm agreeing with the general consensus. Critics can have their take on it, but the show is innovative and daring, with an sterling cast. I was already a huge John Noble fan. I still want to somehow arrange it so that he'll show up at all future family reunions in character as Denethor; it doesn't matter if he's dressed in a filthy tank top and jeans, as long as he acts like Denethor. I think it could make things much more interesting.

Critics have taken to denigrating Abrams for his predictability of being completely unpredictable, and also for challenging viewers to think beyond the borders of what we would normally consider reality. Frankly, I think these make his shows, first Lost and now Fringe, all the more compelling.

Critics have taken to denigrating Abrams for his predictability of being completely unpredictable, and also for challenging viewers to think beyond the borders of what we would normally consider reality. Frankly, I think these make his shows, first Lost and now Fringe, all the more compelling.

You mean his predictability of attempting to be completely unpredictable. I would imagine that the critics would shut up if he were completely successful in that regard. Guess he isn't, then?

...While I enjoyed the pilot, I didn't see anything creative or original about it that justified the parlaying of the "From the creators of Lost" tagline. From the initial impression the show seems very derivative of past sci-fi shows, i.e. X-Files (pretty obvious comparison).

I have to agree... it feels like an updated X-Files to me. I can even foresee the recurring "plot" with Massive Dynamics occurring throughout the episodes, while stand alone episodes will be common as well. That being said, I liked it and have high hopes for it.

Watched last night and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to next weeks show.

Yeah J.J. i guess has a thing for symbols and planes..haha

Oh for those that missed it..i thought i heard after it was over that there is on Encore on Sunday sometime maybe?

I liked it, but couldn't get over the confused/disgusted frown she had almost the entire show. There were a couple WTF's that I thought were unlikely, even for a show that's about the implossible. Sure, it moves the plot along, but really? For example... why would she yell out her partners name while he's got a suspect at gunpoint, thereby distracting him and allowing the suspect to blow him up? You don't just stop and yell, you keep running to back up your partner. Just a nitpick, but stuff like that annoys me.

I liked it, but couldn't get over the confused/disgusted frown she had almost the entire show. There were a couple WTF's that I thought were unlikely, even for a show that's about the implossible. Sure, it moves the plot along, but really? For example... why would she yell out her partners name while he's got a suspect at gunpoint, thereby distracting him and allowing the suspect to blow him up? You don't just stop and yell, you keep running to back up your partner. Just a nitpick, but stuff like that annoys me.

Actually, she knew what was happening and that he was ^^^^ed and was trying to warn him about it. Since their was nothing she could do, she did that. The dude had turned to him with the phone out already, so he was a goner.

You never yelled out to someone about to get hit by a car when they are crossing the street or something.

You don't yell, "Hey, you're about to get hit by a car!"

You yell "Stop!" or some ^^^^ like that.

You mean his predictability of attempting to be completely unpredictable. I would imagine that the critics would shut up if he were completely successful in that regard. Guess he isn't, then?

:lecture I guess you're right. So pray tell, how is LOST going to end? :D

I can't recall a single critic nor entertainment analyst nor Abrams fan who has been able to consistently project the most cryptic plot points in his works. I've come to admire him for his capacity to tell tales which engross viewers. I'd argue rather that critics become frustrated about the predictability of being unpredictable... much akin to their initial dislike of M. Night Shyamalan. I'm not making a comparison between the two, but if you go into a work expecting plot twists though surprisingly in turn garner no immediate reward thereafter, you will likely end up frustrated and jilted. If, however, you can delay that knowing the wait will be rewarded within the context of the larger narrative via the LOTR tales which spanned three years in cinemas, then one will eventually be sated.

The reason I bring up M. Night is because many critics have defamed Unbreakable, one of my all-time favorite films. They deemed the ending predictable, expecting a twist at the end. Even many ciritics who weren't spoiled by the leaked ending on the internet fell into the line of thought that, "we should expect this type of Houdini act from this creator". If it were done by a relatively unknown writer/director with no other major works under his belt, it may well have been greatly lauded, as it has in cult followings or with those who were not so myopic with their critiques.

The point being that when you sit down to watch a television program or walk into a movie theater, it's best to lay expectations and biases aside for the sake of the larger story, rather than immure oneself in likelihoods.

This has the potential to be a great series. I just hope this series doesn't become another "Vanished". Fox likes to pull the plug on shows prematurely.

I just wanted to chime in. I saw it last night and loved it! I'm a big X-Files fan and to me, it had a faint "X-File-esque" feel to it. (Fringe=Pseudo-science, etc. etc.) I'm sure some of you see where I'm coming from. Anyways, I hope it goes far. I wouldn't mind having a weekly show to follow again. TV hasn't been the best lately IMO. Like some of you said, this show haas a lot of potential and I hope it only gets better.

My biggest WTF was that an FBI agent has to fly to Iraq to get a family member to visit a mental patient and then doesn't even bring the family member in to see him? The FBI can't just get a warrant to visit the patient? This seems just lazy, it would have been easy to come up with a better reason the son needs to come with her.

My biggest WTF was that an FBI agent has to fly to Iraq to get a family member to visit a mental patient and then doesn't even bring the family member in to see him? The FBI can't just get a warrant to visit the patient? This seems just lazy, it would have been easy to come up with a better reason the son needs to come with her.

But, but, but...then how would Pacey enter the picture? :monkey3

Back