I've Had My Indy Cherry Popped

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all good, the great thing I find with Indy is there is something for everyone in the series.

My personal taste with movie series' is a sense of unity. I really like it when all the parts of a series feel like they belong, and I just found Temple felt different from Raiders and Crusade so it took just a bit less favor with me. Raiders set a bar with me and the things I enjoyed in it, I found more of them in Crusade than Temple. Who knows though, I'm also a newb to these and have only seen Raiders twice, and Doom and Crusade once, so maybe my impressions will change. Like I said, I felt much different seeing Raiders a second time to the first, so I may change on the other two as well.

I'm really anxious for the SSC figure now though, it's neat having the Hasbro little figures, but I want one that looks like ford and is top notch in quality.

Part of the sense of unity that you might not be feeling as much with TOD is that it isn't supposed to fit neatly between the other two. It's supposed to stand on its own--- and it does.

For me it's above TLC... and I ain't talkin' bout no singin' group yo.:D

I wouldn't call National Treasure a knock off of Indy because...

1. It is more puzzle and riddle oriented where Indiana Jones is more adventure.
2. National treasure focuses on American History where Indiana Jones focuses on...I don't know what since you don't get a whole of ancient history, biblical history, or world history with it.
3. Indy is an adventurer and part time academic and Benjamin Franklin Gates is an academic who had two adventures.

So I just finished watching the Indy marathon on the Sci-Fi channel (what a weird network!), and I've once again concluded that:

1) My favorites go Last Crusade, Temple of Doom, and then finally Raiders. It just doesn't have that zing! in my eyes.

2) I must have a 1:6 Indy, Henry Sr., and Short Round before I die!

3) Mola Ram (or whatever the heck his name is) is truly the creepiest of all the Indy villains. That guy freaks me out!

"You will be . . . a true believer!"

:eek

So I just finished watching the Indy marathon on the Sci-Fi channel (what a weird network!), and I've once again concluded that:

1) My favorites go Last Crusade, Temple of Doom, and then finally Raiders. It just doesn't have that zing! in my eyes.

2) I must have a 1:6 Indy, Henry Sr., and Short Round before I die!

3) Mola Ram (or whatever the heck his name is) is truly the creepiest of all the Indy villains. That guy freaks me out!

"You will be . . . a true believer!"

:eek

Mola Ram was always my favourite INdy villain as well and I can't wait for SSC to really know him out of the park-- I'd strongly consider getting a PF of him as well as I think his complete appearance would look phenomenal in that format.

Obviously which Indy you like best has everything to do with how old you were when you first saw them.

I can understand why some of you prefer TOD -- it's more "manic" than either Raiders or LC; much more intercutting within scenes too to keep it busy. It seems more like a movie from today in many ways.

But for me, Raiders will always be the definitive Indy film. That's the one I grew up on. It's just more stylish -- inventive for it's time, the use of shadows on Indy alone, plus Spielberg was in top form and the right age to do this kind of film back then. You got to remember, we had just come out of the 70's when this was released. And it still holds up today. So you can imagine how fresh it seemed at the time.

I just came across an interesting article by Charlie Higson, author of the Young Bond Series, on Mi6.co.uk. It talks a bit about how Lucas and Spielberg came upon the topic of Indy (I guess it's true?) and compares Indy to Bond and other big mythy movie characters.

Edit: I guess I should provide the link eh?
https://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=6257

Obviously which Indy you like best has everything to do with how old you were when you first saw them.

I can understand why some of you prefer TOD -- it's more "manic" than either Raiders or LC; much more intercutting within scenes too to keep it busy. It seems more like a movie from today in many ways.

But for me, Raiders will always be the definitive Indy film. That's the one I grew up on. It's just more stylish -- inventive for it's time, the use of shadows on Indy alone, plus Spielberg was in top form and the right age to do this kind of film back then. You got to remember, we had just come out of the 70's when this was released. And it still holds up today. So you can imagine how fresh it seemed at the time.

Interesting point, because I'm just seeing these now at 25 and I didn't take a big liking to TOD and still like Raiders most despite years of exposure to other films and styles.

I find that Raiders was Lucas and Spielberg and their best as filmmakers, a great score by Williams, Ford's best Indy performance, and the best heroine in the series, which also makes me eager for KOTCS, be nice to see more of the Indy-Marion relationship, I found that very entertaining. I also found, while not as dark as the villains in TOD, the villains of Raiders had a bit of substance to them and weren't superficial like TOD where it was more that they were this evil cult. It's so goofy too, but I love the sound of Indy's whip cracking.

LOL well it's not the first time I've been accused of having odd tastes, but then my heart has never really been in the Indy series--well, except for Last Crusade which is one of my favorite movies ever. My comments are only really useful in the LOTR section I guess. :eek:

Congrats Sean for FINALLY catching up! And in the nick of time! Ready for KOTCS!

I watched them all as I could this last week, two for the first time in ages. And all out of order, intentionally to see how they sat with me after all this hype.
Raiders is still the coolest to me, but it is simpler. Why I like it maybe.
Last Crusade I watched with Ma, who loved it, so I enjoyed it more than most times. It is still the most emotional one, and it's hard watching Indy be a kid to old Dad, but I like it. And then TOD. And get this, I enjoyed that one more than ever before. Maybe it's just because I hadn't seen it in ages, and the hype has me all worked up, but it felt new and refreshing after ages of hating it. So, I like 'em all.
Glad you have seen them Sean. Welcome to a new world!

I am going to watch RAIDERS just before seeing CRYSTAL SKULL Wednesday night. Two reasons:

1. KOTCS is actually more of a direct sequel to RAIDERS

2. RAIDERS is still the high water mark by which I judge any adventure movie, much less another INDY installment

I am going to watch RAIDERS just before seeing CRYSTAL SKULL Wednesday night. Two reasons:

1. KOTCS is actually more of a direct sequel to RAIDERS

2. RAIDERS is still the high water mark by which I judge any adventure movie, much less another INDY installment

That's why I bought just Raiders at first, I want to see KOTCS, and figured like Rocky Balboa, RAMBO and Live Free or Die Hard, the first and last films tie to one another in some way, especially since Marion is in Raiders and KOTCS. I just could resist seeing the other adventures of Indy.

Oh, and at the moment, my favorite Indy moment for humor is in the opening of Raiders, when his helper runs off with the idol and Indy jumps and Harrison makes that cocky smile of his then the vines give out and he slips like "oh ^^^^", funny stuff.

Oh, and now that I've seen Indy, I find Seth MacFarlane must love LFL movies because I'd say Indy references are second only to Star Wars references in Family Guy, so many bits are now funnier and make more sense having seen Indy, like when Peter uses the Staff of Ra to find his little black book of girls' phone numbers :lol

Lots of INDY references in "The Simpsons" through the years as well, including a send-up of the opening RAIDERS sequence that is just brilliant. Homer as both a naked, angry native as well as the boulder just kills me. :lol

Lots of INDY references in "The Simpsons" through the years as well, including a send-up of the opening RAIDERS sequence that is just brilliant. Homer as both a naked, angry native as well as the boulder just kills me. :lol

Not sure I've ever seen that, I'll have to hit YouTube later, that does sound hillarious.

I still think my favorite spoof at the moment is from the Family Guy movie with Stewie as Short Round.

"Don't touch anything!" "Okay Dr. Jones, I no touch anything."

"Oops." "Help, Indyyyyyy!" "Lady only here cuz she humping director."

:rotfl

Y'all have to admit though . . .the early 80's was one of the best times to be watching movies: ESB, Raiders, Conan, Blade Runner. Wasn't that the time of Porky's as well, and Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

Back