I've Had My Indy Cherry Popped

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how was viewing number 2?

Well, it got paused for the cause to have a nice chat with Les, BUT, like any popped cherry, once you take the plunge you crave it, I was in Wal-Mart and had to pick up the others, so I'm about to throw in TOD.

I talked my little cousin in to watching Temple of Doom the other night. I really would have preferred to start with Raiders, but I knew it would be hard to sell that one without giving too much away. All I had to say was "eyeballs in the soup" and he was fairly well sold on watching it. He really liked it to so I think it'll be easy to get him to watch the other two. He also said he wants to see KOTCS. Oh, and the best part, he liked Short Round and called me Dr. Jones for the night. :lol That was fun.

I talked my little cousin in to watching Temple of Doom the other night. I really would have preferred to start with Raiders, but I knew it would be hard to sell that one without giving too much away. All I had to say was "eyeballs in the soup" and he was fairly well sold on watching it. He really liked it to so I think it'll be easy to get him to watch the other two. He also said he wants to see KOTCS. Oh, and the best part, he liked Short Round and called me Dr. Jones for the night. :lol That was fun.

There is nothing wrong with starting with Temple, it is the first one chronologically.
I couldn't imagine the enjoyment I would have seeing Indy again for the first time as a kid.

Awesome... TOD rules.. You'll love it. :rock

I only got about halfway through last night, so far pretty good, though Raiders is definitely better to me so far, I found that film to offer something great to watch from start to finish, this one's had some lulls where I've been a bit like move it along. Short Round's great though, I love watching him and Indy, especially fighting over the cards by the fire, of course because of my viewing experience, he'll always be Data from The Goonies to me :lol That's what I said Dr. Jones, booty twaps.

Yes! Another Short Round fan! That kid is my favorite thing after Henry Jones Sr.; their relationship is one of the strangest ones on screen and yet, oddly, it works. Indy really does seem to care a lot about him and they have a fantastic parent-child chemistry going on. Plus the kid is dang funny no matter which way you cut it. I always figured Short Round would become the next Indiana Jones and go on to continue the legacy. Not that mangy Mutt Williams they're trying to force on me. :lol

I'd much prefer to see Short Round than Mutt too. I always wondered what happened to Shorty between Temple and Raiders. I'm also curious as to why he was with Indy in Temple.

Ok, so I've finished the trilogy tonight. Raiders is definitely my favorite, then Last Crusade and Temple of Doom last. If I saw Temple of Doom as a single movie and it wasn't part of a series, I'd probably feel much different, but being part of the Indy series, something about it felt out of place. There's a certain fun and adventure I felt from Raiders that I thought Crusade brought back to things, but Temple felt much more serious to me and what I've gotten into with Indy is just the sheer wacky fun, almost like Pirates of the Caribbean on land, and I just didn't get as much of that feeling out of TOD as I did Raiders and Crusade. All in all though, a fun trilogy, much different from my childhood estimation of what it was about, and now looking forward to the Sideshow figure and Indy 4.

Yeah, TOD ranks as the bottom of the three Indy films. Mainly cause like you said it just doesn't have quite the same feel as the other two. I think part of the reason I like LC so much is one I saw it in the theaters and I like the Dad/Son aspect of it being so close to my own Dad.

I think Indy 4 will be the new Temple of Doom. ;)

Glad you got to see them all, Sean!! It's cool to get the perspective of someone who got to see them for the first time, (and as an adult)

Trev

Ya, I'm taking a liking to them very quickly. I'll admit, first time I watched Raiders, I was kidna like ok, not bad, then when I started to watch it again, I really go into it more and it's just a fun adventure, and like Josh commented before, National Treasure movies are like a modern era Indy, I mean they're not too similar, but the core concepts are quite similar and I really like the NT films. Sean Connery was good old Sean Connery in Crusade, he's not a comedian but he can add comedy to some of his roles. It was almost like watching Goodspeed and Mason in The Rock the way Henry and Indy would bicker.

Sean, you will soon know not to compare these much lesser modern films to the INDY classics. :p

The NATIONAL TREASURE movies are cheap knock-offs if you ask me. They're like the "Rolex" watch you buy for $20 on a NYC street corner... only to have it fall apart a month later.

Yeah, TOD ranks as the bottom of the three Indy films. Mainly cause like you said it just doesn't have quite the same feel as the other two. I think part of the reason I like LC so much is one I saw it in the theaters and I like the Dad/Son aspect of it being so close to my own Dad.

You forgot to add-- in your opinion.:D

I place TOD as number 2 for nostalgic reasons and for numerous others of which I already mentioned in the previous thread.

I like LAST CRUSADE fine, but it is quite formulaic and "safe" and is a bit too cartoony at times with characters like Marcus and Sallah. I remember being deeply disappointed in it when I first saw it on Opening Day 1989... to the point where I was actually a bit peeved.

For me, TOD is vastly superior and a much more "honest" Republic Serial send-up to boot. RAIDERS is untouchable.

I would score/rank them...

1. RAIDERS 10.0

2. TOD 7.8 (take some of the Willie screams out and it's an 8.5)

3. LAST CRUSADE 7.0

Conversely, movies like NATIONAL TREASURE and Sommers' MUMMY start at 6.0 and go down from there. :monkey1

I'm with Irish on this, Sean. I prefer heroes like Indy or Bond to simply have "further adventures" without getting bogged down in sentimentality of family relations. The only drama I want to see if great traps and dangerous villains.

I think Indy 4 will be the new Temple of Doom. ;)

Trev

Yikes! You know something we don't?

You forgot to add-- in your opinion.:D

True :rotfl

Sean, you will soon know not to compare these much lesser modern films to the INDY classics. :p

The NATIONAL TREASURE movies are cheap knock-offs if you ask me. They're like the "Rolex" watch you buy for $20 on a NYC street corner... only to have it fall apart a month later.

I agree NT and The Mummy films are not Indiana Jones and don't touch them. I don't think they're close to as good overall but that being said I think NT and The Mummy films are quite enjoyable. I wouldn't call them cheap knock-offs but a nice tribute in a way.

Just because they're not Indy Carl doesn't make them bad movies. The reason films like LOTR, Indy, SW, etc. are special because they're that good and have resonated with fans.

I'm with Irish on this, Sean. I prefer heroes like Indy or Bond to simply have "further adventures" without getting bogged down in sentimentality of family relations. The only drama I want to see if great traps and dangerous villains.

It's all good, the great thing I find with Indy is there is something for everyone in the series.

My personal taste with movie series' is a sense of unity. I really like it when all the parts of a series feel like they belong, and I just found Temple felt different from Raiders and Crusade so it took just a bit less favor with me. Raiders set a bar with me and the things I enjoyed in it, I found more of them in Crusade than Temple. Who knows though, I'm also a newb to these and have only seen Raiders twice, and Doom and Crusade once, so maybe my impressions will change. Like I said, I felt much different seeing Raiders a second time to the first, so I may change on the other two as well.

I'm really anxious for the SSC figure now though, it's neat having the Hasbro little figures, but I want one that looks like ford and is top notch in quality.

Back