Issues with 1/6 Snake Eyes and Timber set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sideshow were to stop Making Joes without doing the essential characters that are still needed to be made in this line,I would not buy a Sideshow product ever again...They must finish what they started as these figures are their best line going,even cooler than StarWars..

:lecture:lecture:lecture With this new ridiculous pricing, I dropped SW for Joes. :exactly:

I just sold Rex to make way for the Black Dragon Ninja.

Yup. It's really a shame they can't understand that reigning in prices would keep collectors purchasing both lines (which in the end equals more profit), then pricing people out of lines with ridiculous hikes they think we don't see.

Couple of other areas where I think the set could use improvement and ancillary, the line could use improvement. Again, as suggestions, from the standpoint of an individual collector -

1) Adding some type of armor/saddlebag/pack system for Timber as such

https://militarygear.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/intruder_specs.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YF0eSf6c1hU/TtX8Dh6MxTI/AAAAAAAAB3Y/TKsheMcyyIU/s1600/dog6.jpg

Other brands such as Toys City and Scale Store and even Hot Toys under their Apexplorer line have done this for their dogs.

2) To draw in the vast group of predominately military 1/6th collectors out there, I would suggest inclusion of weapons as "anchor" pieces that simply are not accessible from any other brand ( I think SSC Joe actually does this quite a bit already)

One suggestion would be to shift the standard Joe pistol from the Kimber 45, where the mold has been reused often now, to the HK USP compact.

https://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/germany/hg11/1287727052.jpg

The compact 45 is not common in the hobby, would draw in military collectors, raise the profile of the SSC sets through the robust loose parts market and still have the "accessory rail" for later variation such as laser units, lights, suppressors and "Match" compensators as shown. This would allow SSC to take the core mold and reuse it, and add new tweaks to interest fans at a low cost for tooling/R&D.

3) Use of "printables" within the packaging/artwork scheme. At some level, the box art and design is a sunk cost anyway, but if you added in areas where the customer can cut out a set of "printables", you can create low cost value and something fun for collectors.

For example Hot Toys did this as an anniversary gift to their HK collectors.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eYNJGaiI1ss/SynljShMXqI/AAAAAAAAE1U/M_DhAo1rqRU/s400/xmas-card.jpg

Simple cut, fold and glue ammo boxes or MREs or "Joe" newspapers or even a 1/6th for 1/6th boxed set like HT did would IMHO be a great way to push sales for your dioramas, as they are already diorama related and factor in new "accessories" for the figure that are low cost. Also it would allow your in house artists to stretch their legs creatively to think of fun things that can be done with 1/6th printables to really spruce up a set.

4) Harkening from GI Joe Sigma Six, I'd suggest "functional packaging"

https://www.papatoy.com/5473-thickbox/gi-joe-sigma-6-windblade-snake-eyes-weapons-7.jpg

Again, since you already are sinking into cost already for the artwork and packaging, why not take a page from the Sigma Six book and make clamshell "storage/ammo" crates from inexpensive plastic that can be made part of the packaging for safety/shipping security of the item, but also serve as a functional part of the "value" for collectors when they get it home. Again, this would add "diorama" value within a set, further encouraging collectors to consider your environments as possible future purchases to further enhance the "backdrop/display" aspect of their SSC Joes.

5) Taking a play from the Hot Toys military playbook, creating a "SSC GI Joe Weapons Pack" This would do several things. First, it would be "homage" to the original weapons packs released for the 4 inch figures in the 80s during the RAH era. Second, as it did for Hot Toys Military, it would allow SSC to make more value out of existing R&D and and molds already used, to maximize value. The highest secondary market values on SSC Joe items are typically the weapons. And this is because 1/6th weapons are applicable across multiple genres and interests. A SSC Hawk Dan Wesson SPC revolver can be used by a female figure collector, a modern military collector, a vintage collector doing Adventure Team. High value in demand 1/6th weapons have historically anchored figure sets in this hobby and maintain the most stable loose parts value structure.

https://www.oziegoods.com/prodimages/HTWEAPONS/Revised_Gun-Set-2.jpg

Hot Toys packaged them in groups of 10-12 to a case, with the case being sold at the MSRP of 1 HT full figure set at the time. This opened up a lot of options. Dealers could part out the sets if they wished, or sell them by the case, giving them the most options. Individual collectors could selectively try to acquire certain weapons or all of them. Either way, at the distributor level, the actual "sale" was like a single boxed figure set.

The benefit being the mini weapons boxes can have slight variations from the versions released in the figure sets. Some slight alterations to color. Some different sights. Maybe the inclusion of a suppressor or grenade launcher.

How often can you reuse the Beachhead crossbow? The Hawk Giant hand cannon revolver? The Stalker classic submachinegun? The Rock N' Roll M60E4? In a full figure set, not that simple, in a mass pack gun set? I'd say you've got a potential winner. Also as a side benefit, by appealing to other subsets in the 1/6th hobby, who might start out with a single weapons set or individual weapons box, it might lead them back to your full fledged 1/6th Joe line. It's a variation of selling basic plastic crack, give the first small dose at a price and value that isn't a major investment, a test run, let them experience the product, let them follow the url you put on the weapons box and see if you can reel in a future "customer for life" for the SSC Brand.

How this relates to Snake Eyes is it can invest SSC into giving Snake all NEW weapons as there is another outlet for the the reuse of the mold instead of using the set itself as a drop off point for preexisting molds.

IMHO, I believe adding "value" to the set can come from multiple directions, with increased creativity and exploiting the other subsets of the 1/6th collectors market.

With all due respect, thank you SSC if you are reading,

MeatHook

Couple of other areas where I think the set could use improvement and ancillary, the line could use improvement. Again, as suggestions, from the standpoint of an individual collector -

1) Adding some type of armor/saddlebag/pack system for Timber as such

https://militarygear.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/intruder_specs.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YF0eSf6c1hU/TtX8Dh6MxTI/AAAAAAAAB3Y/TKsheMcyyIU/s1600/dog6.jpg

Other brands such as Toys City and Scale Store and even Hot Toys under their Apexplorer line have done this for their dogs.

2) To draw in the vast group of predominately military 1/6th collectors out there, I would suggest inclusion of weapons as "anchor" pieces that simply are not accessible from any other brand ( I think SSC Joe actually does this quite a bit already)

One suggestion would be to shift the standard Joe pistol from the Kimber 45, where the mold has been reused often now, to the HK USP compact.

https://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/germany/hg11/1287727052.jpg

The compact 45 is not common in the hobby, would draw in military collectors, raise the profile of the SSC sets through the robust loose parts market and still have the "accessory rail" for later variation such as laser units, lights, suppressors and "Match" compensators as shown. This would allow SSC to take the core mold and reuse it, and add new tweaks to interest fans at a low cost for tooling/R&D.

3) Use of "printables" within the packaging/artwork scheme. At some level, the box art and design is a sunk cost anyway, but if you added in areas where the customer can cut out a set of "printables", you can create low cost value and something fun for collectors.

For example Hot Toys did this as an anniversary gift to their HK collectors.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eYNJGaiI1ss/SynljShMXqI/AAAAAAAAE1U/M_DhAo1rqRU/s400/xmas-card.jpg

Simple cut, fold and glue ammo boxes or MREs or "Joe" newspapers or even a 1/6th for 1/6th boxed set like HT did would IMHO be a great way to push sales for your dioramas, as they are already diorama related and factor in new "accessories" for the figure that are low cost. Also it would allow your in house artists to stretch their legs creatively to think of fun things that can be done with 1/6th printables to really spruce up a set.

4) Harkening from GI Joe Sigma Six, I'd suggest "functional packaging"

https://www.papatoy.com/5473-thickbox/gi-joe-sigma-6-windblade-snake-eyes-weapons-7.jpg

Again, since you already are sinking into cost already for the artwork and packaging, why not take a page from the Sigma Six book and make clamshell "storage/ammo" crates from inexpensive plastic that can be made part of the packaging for safety/shipping security of the item, but also serve as a functional part of the "value" for collectors when they get it home. Again, this would add "diorama" value within a set, further encouraging collectors to consider your environments as possible future purchases to further enhance the "backdrop/display" aspect of their SSC Joes.

5) Taking a play from the Hot Toys military playbook, creating a "SSC GI Joe Weapons Pack" This would do several things. First, it would be "homage" to the original weapons packs released for the 4 inch figures in the 80s during the RAH era. Second, as it did for Hot Toys Military, it would allow SSC to make more value out of existing R&D and and molds already used, to maximize value. The highest secondary market values on SSC Joe items are typically the weapons. And this is because 1/6th weapons are applicable across multiple genres and interests. A SSC Hawk Dan Wesson SPC revolver can be used by a female figure collector, a modern military collector, a vintage collector doing Adventure Team. High value in demand 1/6th weapons have historically anchored figure sets in this hobby and maintain the most stable loose parts value structure.

https://www.oziegoods.com/prodimages/HTWEAPONS/Revised_Gun-Set-2.jpg

Hot Toys packaged them in groups of 10-12 to a case, with the case being sold at the MSRP of 1 HT full figure set at the time. This opened up a lot of options. Dealers could part out the sets if they wished, or sell them by the case, giving them the most options. Individual collectors could selectively try to acquire certain weapons or all of them. Either way, at the distributor level, the actual "sale" was like a single boxed figure set.

The benefit being the mini weapons boxes can have slight variations from the versions released in the figure sets. Some slight alterations to color. Some different sights. Maybe the inclusion of a suppressor or grenade launcher.

How often can you reuse the Beachhead crossbow? The Hawk Giant hand cannon revolver? The Stalker classic submachinegun? The Rock N' Roll M60E4? In a full figure set, not that simple, in a mass pack gun set? I'd say you've got a potential winner. Also as a side benefit, by appealing to other subsets in the 1/6th hobby, who might start out with a single weapons set or individual weapons box, it might lead them back to your full fledged 1/6th Joe line. It's a variation of selling basic plastic crack, give the first small dose at a price and value that isn't a major investment, a test run, let them experience the product, let them follow the url you put on the weapons box and see if you can reel in a future "customer for life" for the SSC Brand.

How this relates to Snake Eyes is it can invest SSC into giving Snake all NEW weapons as there is another outlet for the the reuse of the mold instead of using the set itself as a drop off point for preexisting molds.

IMHO, I believe adding "value" to the set can come from multiple directions, with increased creativity and exploiting the other subsets of the 1/6th collectors market.

With all due respect, thank you SSC if you are reading,

MeatHook

:goodpost:Great ideas there MeatHook:clap. What are you, some kind of military/police R&D guru dude yourself? Either way, well said, good job. I hope you have sent all these ideas directly to SSC too, besides just posting them here. Don't take it personally when the debbie downers:pfft: on here start responding to your post saying that you are crazy and expecting to much:ignore:.

Meathook has some great ideas, I would say that there is enough there that Sideshow can make plans for Snake Eyes version 3, weapons sets and new diorama packaging. That's how you do it, go big or go home.

im not buying this figure so i have no gripes but can they stop calling them portraits. thats an f-ing head already.

from this day forth oral sex will now be called portrait. :hi5:

All that yoga's finally paying off, huh?

Aaawww snap!!!

All kidding aside, I'm looking forward to using this new visor headsculpt with my original SSC SE. I think that new sweater just needs to be a little smaller, although to be honest, I don't even think I will be displaying this new SE with the sweater. I would luv to see what this Prometheus body with these new "muscular arms" looks like without a shirt on. Does anybody know if there are any pix of it anywhere? As far as the goggles are concerned, I thought they looked a bit small when I first saw them, but looking at this pic it seems like they might be properly sized. I'm still not 100% convinced though.

upv7l.jpg

Because they don't give a crap and aren't going to change a thing.

I really want to get this figure, since I did miss out on the first snake eyes, but I'm torn I don't know which one to get, the regular or the SS exclusive one with timber's extra head, the SS exclusive was over 200 just for timber's extra head and ebay has the regular version for under 200 idk hopefully sideshow isn't becoming like hot toys with super awful high prices but it seems that way :slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back