Is there really a market for resold horror toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeverlyHills90210

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I'm proud to say I have the entire complete Neca Hellraiser collection series 1 2 & 3, every character, every version. Even the SDDC limited released Pinhead, botj sets of twins, torso and Chatterer/ Chatterer 2. As well as Leviathan, impossible to come by, the cube, and the extremely hard to find Pillar of Souls. Recently added as the final addition is the Cult Classic Hall of Fame Pinhead with Doug Bradley interchangeable human head.

I paid well over a grand to assemble the complete set, and no one is interested in rebuying the collection and paying what I paid.
image.jpg
To test my theory I posted some for sale ads and I didn't find anyone who was interested?

Neca figures do not go for that much. You ain't going to make back what you bought them for. When buying Neca figures I always wait for the best deal and even with the older popular releases I have bought them for $20-$50 the most. Not sure what a full set goes for but a grande seems very steep for it.

I have most of the figures from that series of figures and enjoy having them in my collection. I'm not really sure what you are trying to prove. There is a market for horror figures, perhaps just not these figures. They were cheap figures to begin with.

I think there was so much overkill with the low end horror figures over the years (movie maniacs, cult classics etc.). The demand and secondary market haven't held up well. I sold off a lot my low end priced figures on ebay back in 2012 - and the horror figures were the hardest to move.

My only advice is to sell each figure on it's own. It's really hard to move a whole collection at once at retail price. The only people interested in 'lots' are second hand collectable dealers and they're only interested in paying 30-40% of it's market value at best. Good luck.

I have most of the figures from that series of figures and enjoy having them in my collection. I'm not really sure what you are trying to prove. There is a market for horror figures, perhaps just not these figures. They were cheap figures to begin with.

I paid a lot to have them in my collection however there doesn't seem to be a market for resale value to make my money back if I decided to sell.

Well with NECA figures, my personal experience has been that the quality control is questionable enough that they're always a gamble. Even buying new, much less used my someone. Also, over the years I've noticed that the Hellraiser figures never go for as much as some other more popular characters. :dunno

Also depends what time of year you're selling. I find that one of the slowest times of year (aside from Summer) is now until New Years. My reasoning is that most people who buy collectibles are saving their money for presents for others. Because after New Years thats when things really seem to pick up until March and I make most of my sales in the winter. I'm sure what everyone else here has said is true, and it may be hard to move them, but I would hang in there until Spring, since this seems to simply be a slow time for selling collectibles in my personal experience.

Best of luck to you,
Ken

Thank you.
Honestly I'm not looking to sell right now. It just creates anxiety that for what I paid to have them they don't retain that much value. As rare as they are theres not much demand for Neca Hellraiser figures.

Well with NECA figures, my personal experience has been that the quality control is questionable enough that they're always a gamble. Even buying new, much less used my someone. Also, over the years I've noticed that the Hellraiser figures never go for as much as some other more popular characters. :dunno

True. I keep mine on display so they stay mint. I guess I'll just accept I bit the bullet and enjoy owning them. Their definitely worth it to me. Who knows maybe they'll come a day where all high end toys and all collectibles are worth nothing.

I paid a lot to have them in my collection however there doesn't seem to be a market for resale value to make my money back if I decided to sell.

Don't mean this to sound harsh or rude, but you bought them. You decided to pay "a lot" of money for them. You obviously felt that they were worth the cash. I have items in my collection that I truly love and you'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands to get them. However, others wouldn't take them if given. We all collect for all kinds of reasons. I find that I'm happiest when I collect for me. It would be nice for these pieces to increase in value, but if that's the purpose for collecting many find only grief. And, even if you do make it profit, in the long run you'll find that you've only broken even.

Don't mean this to sound harsh or rude, but you bought them. You decided to pay "a lot" of money for them. You obviously felt that they were worth the cash. I have items in my collection that I truly love and you'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands to get them. However, others wouldn't take them if given. We all collect for all kinds of reasons. I find that I'm happiest when I collect for me. It would be nice for these pieces to increase in value, but if that's the purpose for collecting many find only grief. And, even if you do make it profit, in the long run you'll find that you've only broken even.

I get what your saying. My friends think I'm crazy for spending as much as I do on toys but collecting them makes me happy even know I'm running out of room. And I question the obsession myself but I guess I'm happy that I own them.

Careful with the obsession. As long as you're happy and it doesn't affect real life this can be a most enjoyable hobby; even if others don't get it.

Much like the stock market, the toy market is always fluctuating. If they ever made another Hellraiser film, their price would go up. Prices might go up around Halloween too, but other than that, there isn't going to be a huge demand for them at any given time. And 99% of the time, to get the most money out of a collection, you have to part it out. You can't make what its worth by selling it as lot. If you want their individual worth, you'd have to sell them individually. And just because you paid a grand for them, doesn't mean someone else would be willing to later. As already pointed out, decent deals can be found on most NECA figures if you're patient enough.

i think the biggest problem is, anyone who wants them would clearly have to be a Hellraiser fan, and any Hellraiser fan would probably have a fair few of those in their collection, so buying the whole set would be pointless for them.

Unless you have massively over paid, im sure if you sold them individually (annoying, i know) you would probably make your money back, possibly even a profit

the other huge problem is, people find it really hard to justify spending $1000 in one hit, especially for 6 inch figures. Although, if they were to spend $200 every 6 months and get some of the figures at a time, over time they could justify spending $1000 on them.

Its all in peoples heads. I have probably spent, at a guess, around $10,000 on my collection, I have never over spent on anything and always got my items for what i believe is a bargain at the time. yet, if i had no collection and $10,000 in my hand and someone offered to sell it to me, id probably laugh and say its a rip off, even though half my items i have purchased for what people would describe as a "steal"

Resale value will always come down to popularity NECA Nightmare on Elm Street figures as an example Series 1 with NOES Freddy and Freddys Revenge seem to still be very sort after and command a high price. The later series of Freddy figures do not sell as well. Sam from Trick R Treat fetches a lot still.
I still have stock of Series 2 of Hellraiser and some Series 3. NECA re offered Hellraiser Series 2 so i think that has affected the market because i can remember Angelique being an expensive figure.

If the Neca hellraiiser stuff was sealed I'd be interested.

I'm sure you would. I may keep the boxes but to me buying a toy and not opening it is a waste of money. I put my toys on display.

Like we've been talking about just because I have a mint condition factory sealed toy doesn't mean it's going to sell or fetch a good price.

I bought them for me so I'd be crazy to keep them factory sealed.

I had to buy doubles just to get the exclusive pieices in each package and as soon as I can get more displays I'm opens them all.

So how can you even expect to get half your money back...it's almost common sense that if you open something, it's value goes downhill. This is true for 95% OF EVERYTHING.

Resale value will always come down to popularity NECA Nightmare on Elm Street figures as an example Series 1 with NOES Freddy and Freddys Revenge seem to still be very sort after and command a high price. The later series of Freddy figures do not sell as well. Sam from Trick R Treat fetches a lot still.
I still have stock of Series 2 of Hellraiser and some Series 3. NECA re offered Hellraiser Series 2 so i think that has affected the market because i can remember Angelique being an expensive figure.

Only 3 series of Neca Hellraiser exist. The only variants are of Pinhead, Butterball, female Cenotbite and Chatterer. The Wire Twins are sold separately or together with Torso as a set. Then there's the Cenobite Lair set with the exclusive Female Cenobite variant. Besides that all theft her characters were released with one version. I own all of them.

Each series figure comes with a piece to assemble Levianian, the cube, and the Pillar of Souls.

Back