Is there any Collectible you bought and later regretted?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the Medicom SW figures (while well-made) tanked terribly in price. Not that the Sideshow ones haven't as well... but just in terms of dollars they were a bit more painful.

Ah, but I did think of one figure I was very unimpressed by. The Medicom Rocketeer V2... that figure was just weak IMO, and I sold it pretty quickly.

Horses for courses... I love that figure, I've had mine on display ever since I bought it!

Yeah, the Medicom SW figures (while well-made) tanked terribly in price. Not that the Sideshow ones haven't as well... but just in terms of dollars they were a bit more painful.

You are right about Sideshow, that's why I'm on the fence about buying new releases. I know I can always pick them up later down the line for about 20 to 30 bucks less. I have Vader and Luke and Han Stormtroopers on order and wonderr If they could be had for less later on?

SSC maul, good hs but I have grow to really hate the buck, he was sold soon after that.

DCSH, I really like them, but its pretty impossible to collect the line so they were gone.

WWR bertie, great toy, just too expensive to continue.

HT aliens power loader, doesn't felt like it was worth the price I paid. The thing really need a repaint to make it look good IMO.

I regret the ENORMOUS amount of Hasbro SW stuff I accumulated between 1995 and 2004. I was so obsessed with collecting every little thing that I never realized that I just wasn't digging the new trilogy. At all. It took a few years for me to finally get it! :duh

Eventually I sold it all to a comic shop in Long Island. And a collection that had cost me more than ten grand new (I never did an actual accounting because it was too depressing, it might actually be higher) ... I was able to sell for a measly $850 bucks! :banghead

But at the end of the day, psychologically, it actually turned out to be a huge relief. It actually felt GREAT. Like an enormous weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Plus, I got back about an acre of closet and display space for my new and improved -- and more "grown-up" :)lol) -- collection of Sideshow and Hot Toys stuff!

Horses for courses... I love that figure, I've had mine on display ever since I bought it!

I know what you mean... i was really looking forward to him, but just looked so toyish (to me) compared to what others are doing I just had no interest in keeping him :lol

I regret the ENORMOUS amount of Hasbro SW stuff I accumulated between 1995 and 2004. I was so obsessed with collecting every little thing that I never realized that I just wasn't digging the new trilogy. At all. It took a few years for me to finally get it! :duh

Eventually I sold it all to a comic shop in Long Island. And a collection that had cost me more than ten grand new (I never did an actual accounting because it was too depressing, it might actually be higher) ... I was able to sell for a measly $850 bucks! :banghead

But at the end of the day, psychologically, it actually turned out to be a huge relief. It actually felt GREAT. Like an enormous weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Plus, I got back about an acre of closet and display space for my new and improved -- and more "grown-up" :)lol) -- collection of Sideshow and Hot Toys stuff!

Been there and done that, I owned practically EVERYTHING Star Wars made by Hasbro. I too sold it to a comic shop in Jersey though, for $1,100 dollars. Funny, it was relieving once it was all gone.:lol

Been there and done that, I owned practically EVERYTHING Star Wars made by Hasbro. I too sold it to a comic shop in Jersey though, for $1,100 dollars. Funny, it was relieving once it was all gone.:lol

I guess that's the other side of the thrill of collecting -- the relief of purging! :rotfl:rotfl

I regret the ENORMOUS amount of Hasbro SW stuff I accumulated between 1995 and 2004.

THIS! Exactly this. I have gigantic bins worth of this garbage just taking up nearly the entire basement of my house. I sometimes lived off Ramen just to support my Hasbro addiction in high school and college. WHY? I wish I could just unload it all somewhere, but even the local comic shops aren't interested in POTF stuff. :sigh:

As far as recent stuff goes, the biggest regret I've had of any collectible to date would be the POS Sideshow Holochair Darth Sidious. Not only could the chair NOT support the weight of the very heavy Palps (the legs warped until it fell over, no matter how many times I rebalanced it), the damn base cracked and crumbled when I attempted to remove the hologram figure. This was seriously the worst $50+ I've spent on anything - ever. Sideshow should seriously refund anyone who wasted money on that piece of garbage.

anything i have in a box not displayed i at least partially regret because i cant really enjoy it (space reasons)...and sadly even though i wont get rid of it some stuff i have will never get displayed because the other things out are more expensive or dislpay friendly...

My Obi wan ROTS Lightsaber prop replica by MR. Took about a year before I realized it was something I didnt care for. Sold it for a loss and eventually picked up what I really wanted - the MR Obi AFBB

My Obi wan ROTS Lightsaber prop replica by MR. Took about a year before I realized it was something I didnt care for. Sold it for a loss and eventually picked up what I really wanted - the MR Obi AFBB
it was the Force FX or the Saber Hilt >? :monkey3

i wouldnt regretted the Saber Hilt. its raelly hard to find them ! i agree there are far superior MR Star Wars Props but the sabers hilt are very cool.

Well maybe kinda one. :lol The Mindzeye Midnight Bronze Hellboy statue. It's too metallic blue and not enough bronze. Sticks out like a sore thumb in my collection. I LOVE the sculpt...just hate the color of it. Wish I would have just gotten a regular painted one....I may try to paint this one...can't make it look any worse (imo). :lol

I have to agree with you on this one. I really loved the concept at first but ever since I got it, I'm plagued with the thought of WTF?

i've become extremely picky about what i collect, so there isn't much danger of regret.
that said, i WOULD be pissed if i didn't get the full refund for the NECA 18" scale Alien.
i'm never buying anything that big that doesn't come with a stand/base again.

i've become extremely picky about what i collect, so there isn't much danger of regret.
that said, i WOULD be pissed if i didn't get the full refund for the NECA 18" scale Alien.
i'm never buying anything that big that doesn't come with a stand/base again.

I didnt want mine to fall over so I grabbed a wooden plaque from the craft store, painted it black, laid it flat, put some felt on the bottom & gorrila glued the Alien to it. Instant base for $3.00!
DSCN0276-2.jpg

As far as recent stuff goes, the biggest regret I've had of any collectible to date would be the POS Sideshow Holochair Darth Sidious. Not only could the chair NOT support the weight of the very heavy Palps (the legs warped until it fell over, no matter how many times I rebalanced it), the damn base cracked and crumbled when I attempted to remove the hologram figure. This was seriously the worst $50+ I've spent on anything - ever. Sideshow should seriously refund anyone who wasted money on that piece of garbage.

I couldn't agree more. It's by far the worst Sideshow product I've ever bought.

For example, I bought a bunch of the NECA Pirates of the Caribbean figures when they were being clearanced out. I got good deals on most of them, but then I felt like I needed to get the ones that I had missed and it ended up costing more than it should have. Not to mention that I think they look like crap now that I have come to my senses. :rolleyes:

Yeah, ditto that, after I got back from Dead Man's Chest, I bought a slew of POTC figs, but NECA kept releasing Jack Sparrow again and again and again, and putting out two craptacular Will Turner figs, and I never bought any after that.

And I regret buying the LOTR 12" figs, had I known they weren't going to make the Fellowship, I never would've bothered, but now I will never get rid of them in the foolish hopes that they will revisit the line someday. And along those same lines, I regret buying the Buffy figs, the headsculpts are so varied, Oz looks great, Xander and Cordelia look like cartoons. I regret purchasing a lot of Sideshow's earlier works.

I don't know though, I mean I look at my four Hot Toys Dark Knight figures and think. . . did I really spend $600 on all that??

Back