Is Sideshow gearing itself AWAY from 1/6 Figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would certainly be a shame if they moved away from the 12" line. I know my wallet couldn't take the pounding from the costs, and my head couldn't take the pounding from my wife. The 12" line is the only real affordable line for many right now, and if they moved away, I'd sadly have to take my money elsewhere.

That said - I hope we see more Dead as well as more horror (we could use a new Leatherface, a new Myers, and a couple more to complete the Friday set).

TheObsoleteMan said:
IMO, I think a lot of the collectors who cut their teeth on action figures and 1/6 dolls are now "trading up" to high-end statues because of the presence and display impact. Also, rising prices are starting to put the 1/6 market on the same level financially with statues, and statues are deemed a better investment.

I will never collect statues because they lack poseability. Static statues and PF's don't interest me. I only collect 1:6 "Action Figures" and that's all. If Sideshow gets out of that business they won't get anymore of my money period.

galactiboy said:
In interviews they keep saying they will make the armored figures, but they are putting a lot of time into getting them right. I think 2008 is the earliest date I've heard so far. But I'm confident we'll be seeing Stormies and Vader from Sideshow.

I mean how could you have a militaries of SW line and not make a Stormtrooper :google

I really hope they do for the sake of the SW fans (I don't really care for the line but my brother collected it...he has since sold off all his Sideshow figures except for Darth Maul).

But in that same sense I've heard a lot of "We will make ___(fill in the blank)___" lines from other companies before I really just don't believe it until I see it and I am sure there are others that share my sentiments.

jlcmsu said:
I don't think SS is getting away from 1/6th. If they where they wouldn't be doing SW and LOTR. However, I'm not sure what lines in 1:6th would sell nearly as well as those two have or will (once LOTR gets going faster). POTC would be one but that may not be available, Indy, Halo, GOW, etc might but I think they will strike for lines that will look good and sell basically. The PF and Poly pieces are selling very very well and I can't blame them for doing a lot of those. However, I think SS will continue to do both and be the best at both.

Sideshow needs to make an armored star wars figure if they even had the chance to make GOW or Halo figures.....they could do GOW and Halo PFs though...

dekadentdave said:
I will never collect statues because they lack poseability. Static statues and PF's don't interest me. I only collect 1:6 "Action Figures" and that's all. If Sideshow gets out of that business they won't get anymore of my money period.

Again, I agree with Dave here, if SS abandons the 1:6 market I really dont see myself ever buying from them again.

I do have a few PF and a couple busts, but those belong to characters I have had a life long fascination with. I have 3 horror PF and the Darkness on the way, but other than Hellraiser and Michael Myers I have zero interest in PF.

And once I can find the Alien 1:1 bust, that will be it for me on busts.

Its all about poseability for me. I love my PF and busts, but once out of the box all they do is sit there. I love futzing with my toys, I will always be a 1:6er.

King Darkness said:
Again, I agree with Dave here, if SS abandons the 1:6 market I really dont see myself ever buying from them again.

I do have a few PF and a couple busts, but those belong to characters I have had a life long fascination with. I have 3 horror PF and the Darkness on the way, but other than Hellraiser and Michael Myers I have zero interest in PF.

And once I can find the Alien 1:1 bust, that will be it for me on busts.

Its all about poseability for me. I love my PF and busts, but once out of the box all they do is sit there. I love futzing with my toys, I will always be a 1:6er.

Hey won't you be using them as your middleman to get some Hot Toys stuff?! :D

Bardoon said:
But in that same sense I've heard a lot of "We will make ___(fill in the blank)___" lines from other companies before I really just don't believe it until I see it and I am sure there are others that share my sentiments.

I agree.

Sideshow has made announcements for figures in the past that have never seen the light of day.

Bardoon said:
Hey won't you be using them as your middleman to get some Hot Toys stuff?! :D

Yeah, I guess I will.:lol

But I can always go through Toys2 if SS stops carrying HT, which I hope they NEVER do.

Sideshow is far from being the definitive 1/6 company, and 1/6 is far from being dead. There are some great companies putting out some great product. Unfortunately, most of it is coming from the Asian market and is usually limited production, thus making them hard to find and raising the prices. I collect 1/6 military and companies like Toy Soldier, ACE, Barrack Sergeant, Triad and others are putting out some really great stuff. Truthfully, I have found Sideshow's 1/6 stuff to pale in comparison to alot of this stuff.

Wor-Gar said:
I agree.

Sideshow has made announcements for figures in the past that have never seen the light of day.

Yeah, what ever happened to the Reservoir Dogs license.

Natrix said:
Sideshow is still making plenty of 1/6th figures

Where?
Of what? Outside of $tar War$ they're cancelling more lines than they're making things from. $ide$how now imports part of their competition's product and offers next to nothing new to the 1:6 collector if you're not going to buy $tar War$.
And maybe its for the best. $ide$how's apparent thought process of what all the core characters of a line might be fell way short of supplying all the core characters anyway.
As much as I lament the passing of Majestic Studios and Product Enterprise, I am glad we still have Hot Toys and am holding onto the hope that Character Design, Sci Fi Metropolis/Triad etc.. will keep the 1:6 market alive.
As for us all saying they won't get our money if they stop 1:6? They DON'T CARE.
They can sell $tar War$ to all the Lucasophiles and make more money selling 1 PF than 4 1:6 figures. Yes, they are in a business to make money, but it seems just a bit odd that the company that not so long ago prided itself on its relationship with its customers now seemingly bears little remorse in abandoning them.
Look to the light Carol Ann. Run to it.
It is Hot Toys and it is good. And they can be found less expensively than thru the company that has left you behind.

Pallie, you sound like sideshow kicked your puppy, but I agree it is too bad for those of you who are solely 1:6 collectors if sideshow continues to not make them. But on the other hand if they weren't selling well enough for profit the end result would be the same, its just that the company would have gone down with the lines.

NightCreeper said:
Sideshow needs to make an armored star wars figure if they even had the chance to make GOW or Halo figures.....they could do GOW and Halo PFs though...

I was just using those as example of lines that I would imagine doing well.

Ironman you're not the least bit bitter huh? Fairly ****ty attitude you got there. Why should they do lines that aren't selling? I think the lines that aren't selling only have the fans to blame IMO. If POA isn't selling then maybe more POA fans should have bought more or demanded harder. SW fans buy, buy, buy and especially if it's a great product like what SS is turning out. LOTR fans are the same and as soon as LOTR gets going more we'll see that.

I hope SS doesn't give up on the 1:6th scale because I am finding myself really liking that scale. At least the SW and LOTR stuff so I'd hate to see it go. I can't afford myself to get a ton of PF I know that. I will get a lot but it would end up being less figures than I can in 1:6th.

Ironman1188 said:
but it seems just a bit odd that the company that not so long ago prided itself on its relationship with its customers now seemingly bears little remorse in abandoning them.

Just us 1:6ers are sad and fell abandoned, they are still making MANY MANY fans VERY happy everyday.

Its just the natural progression of a company. Its happens everyday and in every market place.

Its just a bummer when you are the one who feels abandoned.

Just imagine how cool it is to be a Marvel fan right now.

King Darkness said:
Its just the natural progression of a company. Its happens everyday and in every market place.

Very true. When they stopped making the salad dessing I liked I was very sad too.

Of course, we're taking about display items... and it really sucks if you start a collection based on promise...and they end the line before they finish it.

Like what will happen with LOTR. I don't believe for a second that we will see a complete line from SS of 1/6th Fellowship characters. And that sucks. I have all 3 so far, and they will be useless without the others. Same with SW figures without Chewie and the droids.

Wor-Gar said:
Like what will happen with LOTR. I don't believe for a second that we will see a complete line from SS of 1/6th Fellowship characters. And that sucks. I have all 3 so far, and they will be useless without the others. Same with SW figures without Chewie and the droids.

WG I totally disagree. I have no doubts we'll get all 9 for sure. The "only" reason will be due to any possible body issues.

Wor-Gar said:
. and it really sucks if you start a collection based on promise...and they end the line before they finish it.

*cough* *cough* Origins Kurgan *cough* *cough*

I was pissed when Coke stopped making Vanilla Coke. I really liked it:monkey2

jlcmsu said:
. I have no doubts we'll get all 9 for sure. The "only" reason will be due to any possible body issues.

Unfortunately, at the rate SS doing them I may have to buy them with my Social Security checks:cool:

King Darkness said:
Unfortunately, at the rate SS doing them I may have to buy them with my Social Security checks:cool:

:lol

That's my fear too.

jlcmsu said:
WG I totally disagree. I have no doubts we'll get all 9 for sure. The "only" reason will be due to any possible body issues.

I hope so, Josh... but I just don't see a "3-figures-a-year" pace making it all the way to 9, plus the extra and needed bad guys to go with them.

King Darkness said:
Yeah, what ever happened to the Reservoir Dogs license.

These were already done in 1:6 about 6 or 7 years ago by another company (forget the name) and there's a ton of them on ebay right now for next to nothing.

Back