Is Darth Vader mentally unstable?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inuka

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just read this article on CNN and thought it might be something interesting to share with all Star Wars and Darth Vader fans in this Board.

Here is the original article:
The manipulations of Anakin Skywalker, also known as Darth Vader in the "Star Wars" saga, have long been ascribed to the Dark Side of the Force. Now, psychiatrists suggests that the actions of the Jedi Knight could be used in teaching about a real-life mental illness.

A letter to the editor in the journal Psychiatry Research explores just what is wrong with Vader. French researchers posit that Vader exhibits six out of the nine criteria for borderline personality disorder. Unstable moods, interpersonal relationships, and behaviors are all characteristics of this condition, according to the National Institutes of Mental Health. It affects 2 percent of adults, mostly young women.

The young Anakin Skywalker was separated from his mother at an early age, and his father was absent, factors that could have contributed to borderline personality disorder. His "infantile illusions of omnipotence" and "dysfunctional experiences of self and others" are also indicative of this condition from an early age.

The researchers argue that Vader experienced two "dissociative episodes," one when he exterminated the Tuskan people after his mother's death, and the other when he killed all of the Jedi younglings. He often showed impulsive behavior and had difficulty controlling his anger. He also may have showcased a disturbance in identity by turning to the dark side and changing his name.

Darth Vader may thus be used to educate the public about borderline personality disorder and help combat stigma associated with mental illness.

But Emory psychiatrist Dr. Charles Raison, CNNhealth.com's mental health expert, has a different take. In the original three movies - which are the last three chronologically - Vader appears to be under the control of an evil emperor, making his character difficult to ascribe to a psychiatric disorder.

In before the "Prequels ruined Vader!"...

Seriously though, if someone killed your mom, wouldn't you want revenge? Anakin just had the means to get revenge...

I wouldn't call him mentally unstable...just very angry...

That's probably true, he does arguably exhibit 6 or 7 of the 9 traits (more than five are needed for a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder (PD)). Unstable self image, unstable/intense relationships, impusivity (crazy flying), affective instability, chronic feeling of emptiness, difficulty controlling anger & transient stress related paranoid ideation.

See, all those deaths could have possibly been prevented with a little dialectical behavioural therapy (maybe Yoda tried that to no avail) or bringing his mom along for the ride.

He probably has some Narcissistic traits as well.

Firstly, I think having Anakin be "mentally unstable" is too easy a diagnosis. Which brings me to my second point: Lucas took the easy, lazy way to make Vader who he was. It was such a cheap shot to just have a little kid be separated from his single mother, then have her killed, etc. There is no elegant complexity to the character that was implied in the original trilogy.

I'm a little annoyed at this article because it validates Lucas's dumb ideas for Vader's origin. :mad:

I know Lucas will read it and think, "See?!? I told you I was a good writer! Dumb fanboys don't know what they're talking about! A renowned psychiatrist has backed me up! :pfft:"

No, Lucas will read this and be like, "Wait, I created a character with borderline personality disorder? Woah, and this whole time I was basing his personality on my own..."

then he'll just say that he did it on purpose.

I think that if Luca$ JUST HAD to tell the Vader backstory , Anakin should have just been evil from the start. No need to see him as pre pubescent little boy. He could have just started the story of Anakin, being a totally crazy, Joker-esque Sith, who causes mayhem for the Jedi....Look at how well the Joker was developed in the Dark Knight..no backstory needed, he was just crazy....just my own crazy thoughts. I haven't had my coffee yet....

Taking the original trilogy by itself, Vader was just evil from the get-go, and then gradually softens up when he learns of his son, going all the way to a full redemption by the end. It's straightforward. It is when you tack on the prequels and all the other new media onto the originals that make him look mentally unstable.

The answer...

vader_no.jpg

Problem with stuff like this is that it is easy to massage a character's traits into just about any diagnosis. I would argue against PD as borderline personality diorder has a certain feel and intensity and self destructiveness to it; if you've ever known someone with the disorder or worked with it you know what I'm talking about. While Anakin was a whiney _____, he never felt like a Borderline Personality Disorder to me. If I had to pick one I'd think he fits better into an Antisocial Personality Disorder:

There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and the rights of others occurring since the age of 15, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

1. failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
2. deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
3. impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
4. irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
5. reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
6. consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
7. lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.

B) The individual is at least 18 years of age.

C) There is evidence of Conduct disorder with onset before age 15.

D) The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of schizophrenia or a manic episode.

Although in a related note, when I was assisting with teaching a masters level assessment class I had to develop case scenarios. One I did was a generic form of Vader... but sadly only one student (out of 30) was able to guess who it was :rolleyes2

Although in a related note, when I was assisting with teaching a masters level assessment class I had to develop case scenarios. One I did was a generic form of Vader... but sadly only one student (out of 30) was able to guess who it was :rolleyes2

How generic did you make him? If you leave out enough detail his traits could be applied to many. Did the case scenarios require everyone to respond individually on paper, or was it a discussion where the first student gets it then move on? It does sound like an interesting scenario group.

Antisocial PD would be another one that may fit but require age to be 15 or below. Also for any disorder it needs to impede your function, before 15 I doubt that it did for Anakin. His behaviour did not seem extreme enough at that age to warrant the diagnosis at that age.

Last edited:
Taking the original trilogy by itself, Vader was just evil from the get-go, and then gradually softens up when he learns of his son, going all the way to a full redemption by the end. It's straightforward. It is when you tack on the prequels and all the other new media onto the originals that make him look mentally unstable.

You're forgetting how Obi Wan described him as a great pilot and warrior and a good friend. Also that he was "seduced" by the dark side. It all implies that he was a genuinely good person before he turned. Making him be plain ol' evil or having a mental disorder is such an easy solution for everything he did as Vader and makes the character too one-dimensional and one-note. Having Obi Wan say those things about Vader made him sound like there is more going on under the mask, which made the character richer and more interesting.

How generic did you make him? If you leave out enough detail his traits could be applied to many. Did the case scenarios require everyone to respond individually on paper, or was it a discussion where the first student gets it then move on? It does sound like an interesting scenario group.

Antisocial PD would be another one that may fit but require age to be 15 or below. Also for any disorder it needs to impede your function, before 15 I doubt that it did for Anakin. His behaviour did not seem extreme enough at that age to warrant the diagnosis at that age.

I basically included his adult exploits... estrangement from kids, knife fight with his son, hiding his appearance from others, etc. The class watched a mock intake I did with the character and were asked to begin formulating diagnoses and possible instruments they would use for evaluation. It was pretty fun and the one guy that got it was pretty funny because a couple minutes in he looked up at me and started smiling :lol

And with Antisocial their just has to be some evidence of conduct disorder before age 15 and I'd guess that would be easy enough to find. Heck, little Anakin stole a Naboo fighter and blew up a base :lol

Antisocial PD is a diagnosis for adults... as really if you think about it most teenagers exhibit some of the traits mentioned above :lol

You're forgetting how Obi Wan described him as a great pilot and warrior and a good friend. Also that he was "seduced" by the dark side. It all implies that he was a genuinely good person before he turned. Making him be plain ol' evil or having a mental disorder is such an easy solution for everything he did as Vader and makes the character too one-dimensional and one-note. Having Obi Wan say those things about Vader made him sound like there is more going on under the mask, which made the character richer and more interesting.

In '77 Vader was just a villain in a standalone budget movie that had no guarantee of sequels. The first SW blew everyone away, then ESB and ROTJ fleshed out the characters into something more than a space western.

Obi's explanation in ROTJ was a retcon to fix the "lie" he told Luke in ANH. Then the prequels came and complicated Anakin some more.

I completely agree with your points regarding the OT, but I was coming from the angle of how Vader evolved chronologically.

But Emory psychiatrist Dr. Charles Raison, CNNhealth.com's mental health expert, has a different take. In the original three movies - which are the last three chronologically - Vader appears to be under the control of an evil emperor, making his character difficult to ascribe to a psychiatric disorder.

:lecture:lecture:lecture :lol

Some people just want their 15 minutes of fame and result to shameless means to do so.

anikin = emo titty baby

vader = intergalactic mass serial killer

Back