Iron Studios 1/4 scale Spiderman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the issue i was having with the web he is shooting sagging just kept getting worse. It just looked terrible with it really sagging so much. But i was willing to live with it but then I started to notice the whole statue starting to lean also. After a few days it was really noticeable and the whole statue just became unstable. I barely touched it and it just fell over. I caught it and no damage was really done but it is totally unstable now and will not stand on it's own without falling. I knew from the moment i opened the box and started to put this thing together that it was going to fall apart but hoped i was wrong. Sadly i was not wrong.
I have no idea what i am going to do with this thing now. Probably just throw it into my storage unit and write it off as a loss and a lesson to listen to other people's reviews. There was a bunch of people saying this statue was fantastic in theory but in execution it was terrible. I should have listened and cancelled my order. It's just a shame for a $700 statue to have such problems.
I just know i am done with Iron Studios. I know others say the other stuff they put out is good but after feeling like i threw away over $700 i just could never bring myself to give them business again. This is the only thing in my entire collection that i regret buying.

Jesus, that's awful. I only have one Iron Studios piece - the 1/4 Ultron Cap, but this terrifies me. Not sure I want to buy any more of their stuff!

I'm sorry to hear there are so many issues with this piece. However, please keep in mind that IS isn't the only company that has had QC or leaning issues over time. Sideshow has had their problems over the years as well. Has everyone forgotten the Wolvie LSF already? How about the Dark Rider of Mordor toppling over on collectors as well? Don't some people have leaning issues with the Superman PF too? I'm not trying to call out only sideshow. Bowen Designs exclusive Scarlet Witch statue (the one with the large cape) bends and cracks at the ankles. My point is that just about every company has it's share of lemons or statues that have problems over the years because of poor engineering. When designing some of these statues, sometimes the company's reach exceeds it's grasp when they are trying to make great looking statues for their customers.

Don't get me wrong, if I spent $700 + on any statue, I'd be pissed as hell if it leaned or broke over the years and the company didn't or couldn't do anything to help me out. The first thing I'd recommend though is to contact the company or customer service with your problem. Even though you're probably pissed, try to communicate your problem in a civil manner and ask for help. Maybe you'll get lucky and the company will refund your money. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try. CS service can surprise you in a good way sometimes. Either way, present you problem and give the company a chance to make things right. There's certainly nothing to lose.

As for never buying statues from a company who's sold you a defective product. That's up to each individual to decide. I have been very lucky, I have no leaning issues with any of my statues (and I own the Supes PF). However, if Supes toppled over on me tomorrow, I'd contact Sideshow and ask for a refund. If they couldn't help me out, I'd probably be hacked off and swear I'd never buy another SSC piece....and then I'd see something like the Bane PF and break. :lol To be honest, if a company had constant QC issues, I'd probably stop collecting from them. However, I've come to the realization that no company is perfect. So, if I'm seeing some QC issues pop up on rare occasion with a company, I'd probably feel pretty comfortable buying from them. As much as we want perfection as collectors, I just don't see that as a possibility in life or this hobby (on every occasion).

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear there are so many issues with this piece. However, please keep in mind that IS isn't the only company that has had QC or leaning issues over time. Sideshow has had their problems over the years as well. Has everyone forgotten the Wolvie LSF already? How about the Dark Rider of Mordor toppling over on collectors as well? Don't some people have leaning issues with the Superman PF too? I'm not trying to call out only sideshow. Bowen Designs exclusive Scarlet Witch statue (the one with the large cape) bends and cracks at the ankles. My point is that just about every company has it's share of lemons or statues that have problems over the years because of poor engineering. When designing some of these statues, sometimes the company's reach exceeds it's grasp when they are trying to make great looking statues for their customers.

Don't get me wrong, if I spent $700 + on any statue, I'd be pissed as hell if it leaned or broke over the years and the company didn't or couldn't do anything to help me out. The first thing I'd recommend though is to contact the company or customer service with your problem. Even though you're probably pissed, try to communicate your problem in a civil manner and ask for help. Maybe you'll get lucky and the company will refund your money. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try. CS service can surprise you in a good way sometimes. Either way, present you problem and give the company a chance to make things right. There's certainly nothing to lose.

As for never buying statues from a company who's sold you a defective product. That's up to each individual to decide. I have been very lucky, I have no leaning issues with any of my statues (and I own the Supes PF). However, if Supes toppled over on me tomorrow, I'd contact Sideshow and ask for a refund. If they couldn't help me out, I'd probably be hacked off and swear I'd never buy another SSC piece....and then I'd see something like the Bane PF and break. :lol To be honest, if a company had constant QC issues, I'd probably stop from collecting from them. However, I've come to the realization that no company is perfect. So, if I'm seeing some QC issues pop up on rare occasion with a company, I'd probably feel pretty comfortable buying from them. As much as we want perfection as collectors, I just don't see that as a possibility in life or this hobby (on every occasion).

:goodpost:

As for never buying statues from a company who's sold you a defective product. That's up to each individual to decide. I have been very lucky, I have no leaning issues with any of my statues (and I own the Supes PF). However, if Supes toppled over on me tomorrow, I'd contact Sideshow and ask for a refund. If they couldn't help me out, I'd probably be hacked off and swear I'd never buy another SSC piece....and then I'd see something like the Bane PF and break. :lol To be honest, if a company had constant QC issues, I'd probably stop collecting from them. However, I've come to the realization that no company is perfect. So, if I'm seeing some QC issues pop up on rare occasion with a company, I'd probably feel pretty comfortable buying from them. As much as we want perfection as collectors, I just don't see that as a possibility in life or this hobby (on every occasion).

You make some good points. I did contact both sideshow and Iron Studios and Sideshow said i was beyond the return policy date so they really couldn't do anything and Iron studio said they would look into it and get back to me but they never did. The main problem i have is this statue should never have been sold. It was orignally sold and had lots of problems. So many that thye basically recalled it and supposedly fixd the issues but It seems they really didn't When the original release of this statue had so much problems they should have just recalled them, Issued refunds cancelled the statue instead of trying to fix something with so many problems. To me there is a big difference with a statue that delelops a problem down the road that may be hard to forsee and a statue that is not made well and has serious problems from the beginning. I could tell as soon as I opened the box that this staue was going to be trouble. With some of the other statues you mentioned i think the issues came about over time. And while that is not an excuse for those issues it's even more unacceptable to me for a statue to be released with known problems and that's what i feel like happend with this staue and that's the main reason i would not buy from them again.

Really good points IMO. I'll just add that re reviews/comments re this Spidey nearly kept me from purchasing any of the Civil War 1/4 pieces. But. I also looked at reviews/comments from Iron Studios Magneto and Superman diorama.

Don't remember reading any issues for those. Fast forward and re the CW pieces - it just seems like IS learned a lot from the Spidey thing, seriously. Metal tubes where you insert posts. Where plastic is used it feels strong and tough. My pieces are completely stable - Falcon is the one that amazes me, re the foot position and arched back, and there is not one hint of instability. I'd go for another IS piece for sure.

Am truly sorry for the Spidey issues as it looks like an incredible piece of design and there's nothing else like it. Hard to say what went wrong:( - IS is a relatively young company and feels like they made production mistakes or this piece was too ambitious for what needed to be produced at a *reasonable* price point - e.g. cheap plastics used vs. something tougher and more expensive.:(

If I owned this Spidey tho while I wouldn't be happy about it, besides contacting IS I would be hitting the hardware store and art stores (and YouTube how-tos) for stuff just to brace and stabilize the piece. If I wasn't going to sell it anyway.

You make some good points. I did contact both sideshow and Iron Studios and Sideshow said i was beyond the return policy date so they really couldn't do anything and Iron studio said they would look into it and get back to me but they never did. The main problem i have is this statue should never have been sold. It was orignally sold and had lots of problems. So many that thye basically recalled it and supposedly fixd the issues but It seems they really didn't When the original release of this statue had so much problems they should have just recalled them, Issued refunds cancelled the statue instead of trying to fix something with so many problems. To me there is a big difference with a statue that delelops a problem down the road that may be hard to forsee and a statue that is not made well and has serious problems from the beginning. I could tell as soon as I opened the box that this staue was going to be trouble. With some of the other statues you mentioned i think the issues came about over time. And while that is not an excuse for those issues it's even more unacceptable to me for a statue to be released with known problems and that's what i feel like happend with this staue and that's the main reason i would not buy from them again.

But - and I went through a lot of Spidey reviews before getting the CW pieces - not everyone is unhappy with their Spideys. I don't know how many have the same tentacle issue you seem to have or even why it's happening? I thought the tentacle was all poly?

I could tell as soon as I opened the box that this staue was going to be trouble.

Why didn't you send it back right then? Not bein' a jerk or anything - I've kept stuff I knew was going to be a pain, but I just start looking for the glue, paint, tools etc. because that's just how it's gonna be. I'd still pester IS until they respond. With pictures. It may take a while but they should do something for you.

But - and I went through a lot of Spidey reviews before getting the CW pieces - not everyone is unhappy with their Spideys. I don't know how many have the same tentacle issue you seem to have or even why it's happening? I thought the tentacle was all poly?

Why didn't you send it back right then? Not bein' a jerk or anything - I've kept stuff I knew was going to be a pain, but I just start looking for the glue, paint, tools etc. because that's just how it's gonna be. I'd still pester IS until they respond. With pictures. It may take a while but they should do something for you.

It got delivered when i was on vacation and by the time i got home it was past the return window. I would have returned it if i was able to.
And enough people must have had problems with this staue since they recalled the first batch they sent out and then sent out a second batch which was supposed to be fixed. And that's my main problem. They knew this had issues and still thought they could fix it without really starting from scratch.
And as far as fixing it myself well i'll be honset i am not good at that type of stuff. Any time i have tried to do anything like that i have just made things worse and been more annoyed. Everyone needs to know there limitations. And i know your trying to help but it seems like so many times when someone has a problem with a figure or a statue people tell them to try to fix it themselves. Just because some people have the skills to fix these things thmeselves does not mean everyone does. It just seems like the people who have the skills seem to think that everyone can do it because they can. I just know i would just get aggravated if i tried to do any work on this myself and i refuse to spend any more money on getting someone who has the skill to fix this.
Sorry if i am coming off in any way rude or anything i'm just annoyed at the whole situation.

I completely understand your position. Try following up with IS. Maybe they'll step up and stand behind their product. Either way, I understand your position.

It got delivered when i was on vacation and by the time i got home it was past the return window. I would have returned it if i was able to.
And enough people must have had problems with this staue since they recalled the first batch they sent out and then sent out a second batch which was supposed to be fixed. And that's my main problem. They knew this had issues and still thought they could fix it without really starting from scratch.
And as far as fixing it myself well i'll be honset i am not good at that type of stuff. Any time i have tried to do anything like that i have just made things worse and been more annoyed. Everyone needs to know there limitations. And i know your trying to help but it seems like so many times when someone has a problem with a figure or a statue people tell them to try to fix it themselves. Just because some people have the skills to fix these things thmeselves does not mean everyone does. It just seems like the people who have the skills seem to think that everyone can do it because they can. I just know i would just get aggravated if i tried to do any work on this myself and i refuse to spend any more money on getting someone who has the skill to fix this.
Sorry if i am coming off in any way rude or anything i'm just annoyed at the whole situation.

Understood and thank you for staying civil over something like this:clap:). (For d**n sure if, down the road, any of my pricey CW pieces develops an issue I'll have plenty to say whether it can be fixed or not). I like futzing but I've made disasters too LOL. And it DOES bother me that Iron Studios, while apparently replacing some pieces for some folks, really doesn't seem to get how iconic Spiderman is (at least in the U.S.) and even globally.

E.g., they should have IMO eaten some costs and done more for owners of these pieces as Spiderman for sure is a character they shouldn't have messed up on. But - compared to Sideshow, XM, and WETA, think IS even still needs to improve communication with the customer base.

As you say, you wouldn't buy from them again. And there's other comments where folks are wary of IS, even tho IS seems to be trying hard. I'd love to be able to talk to them at a con. Doesn't help you any but they've paid in lost customers and it seems like Sideshow is being really cautious before even shipping their pieces.

Hope one day if you keep Spidey maybe you'll run into someone who can improve things or at least sell him, even at a loss, and get some funds back. It's a spectacular piece even if fragile. I'd still pester IS too 'coz it's not like they don't KNOW about the problems and have helped some people with Spidey. And really am sorry about unhappy Spidey owners - totally sux to look forward to any piece and it shows up and maybe an hour later you're disgustedly pulling out the shipping tape and repacking, or like a piece I have that I kept, but it's put in the darkest corner of the cabinet (poor paint job) for when I can get to it.:(

So i just wanted to make one last post about this statue and then i'm probably done with it unless Iron Studios contacts me and can do something or i decide to someday sell it or get someone to fix it up.
My last words on this is that i just wanted to be clear that i am in no way trying to tell people not to buy any thing from this company or anything iike that. I am just giving my experience and people should take that and what other people are saying and then decide for themselves if they want to give the type of money Iron Studios is asking for their statues. My experiance was bad and I will not be buying from them again but I know other people have had better luck and most of the reviews of the stuff they put out after this statue have been much better.
I do want to post a few pictures which for me kind of shows the poor execution on what should/could have been a fantastic statue.
This is what they decided to go with for the battery door on the light up part of the doc oc arm.
IMG_20170907_130319 by zuko1312, on Flickr

IMG_20170907_130420 by zuko1312, on Flickr

As you can see its not a removable battery compartment door. It's an attached piece of plastic that you have to bend back to access the battery compartment. How many battery changes does anyone think it would take for that plastic piece to snap off? Then what really shows the lack of thought behind this is they painted it but when you bend the plastic tab back as you can see the paint chips and falls off. Now it's not a real big deal the paint comes off because no one would really ever see it when it is attached to the arm but i just think it just shows the lack of thought that went into the actual execution of this statue. Why would they not put an actual battery compartment door on this like every other statue/figure i have ever seen? It's just a strange decision to me and adds to the cheap feal that this statue has in my opinion.

As you can see its not a removable battery compartment door. It's an attached piece of plastic that you have to bend back to access the battery compartment. How many battery changes does anyone think it would take for that plastic piece to snap off? Then what really shows the lack of thought behind this is they painted it but when you bend the plastic tab back as you can see the paint chips and falls off. Now it's not a real big deal the paint comes off because no one would really ever see it when it is attached to the arm but i just think it just shows the lack of thought that went into the actual execution of this statue. Why would they not put an actual battery compartment door on this like every other statue/figure i have ever seen? It's just a strange decision to me and adds to the cheap feal that this statue has in my opinion.

Ugh. What you say matches YT reviews re this piece. *Guessing* that the piece was designed and then working with manufacturer, corners were cut to keep the overall cost down, as every single step making something costs. *Guessing* that to do this piece right it would have cost over $1,000 = less sales re the piece being so elaborate.
So it looks great but flimsy unless you epoxy the pieces to a base or something. Cost-cutting probably explains why no other company has tried something like this - e.g. other companies make simpler pieces re manufacture and shipping. Ironically tho maybe in time if carefully stored it may be worth something - maybe:dunno? as bet nothing like this ever is made again. A debacle for Iron Studios for sure.:(

I'm just curious, how is this holding up after a few years now. Are owners still happy with it? I have a chance to get one at a good price.
Also Did it have an ES?

I'm just curious, how is this holding up after a few years now. Are owners still happy with it? I have a chance to get one at a good price.
Also Did it have an ES?

I still have mine. But I’m about to pass it on to my brother and nephew.

It’s still more or less in the same condition that it arrived in, but I’ve always had it backed against a wall.

The edition was something like 1250 to 1500.

It’s still more or less in the same condition that it arrived in, but I’ve always had it backed against a wall.

So with this statue, even after the re-released of it, it still had issues?

So why are you passing this on, not a fan of the piece?

So why are you passing this on, not a fan of the piece?

Primarily to make up some display room I’ve decided to move out most if not all of my comic book based pieces, and primarily collect movie based pieces. But I’m definitely keeping the 1/3 Arkham pieces I have.

So in next year I’ll be boxing up IS Spidey, SS Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Batgirl, Captain America, 2x Wolverine, Doctor Doom, Dark Phoenix, and possibly a couple of others.

Back