Iron Studios 1/4 scale Spiderman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, just some quick and dirty photos with some critiques. Let me preface this first, I love this statue and I'll never sell it, but there are some things which could be better.

First as many may be aware the figure of the statue appears to be casted in multiple parts and then adhered together. Head, body, 2x lower arms, waist + upper legs and 2x lower legs. The problem with assembling a statue like this, is of course the sometimes obvious seam lines and glue marks. Other than the head the rest of the joints are more than passable.

image3.jpeg
The waist joint looks worse without the flash.
image4.jpeg
image2.jpg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg

However as others have mentioned assembling the diorama base can be quite the exercise and I did have some issues. In particular the octopus arm which comes in multiple sections. Connection of the pieces is done via male/female connectors and magnets. The problem is that they do not slot in easily and require quite a bit of force to insert. Even then I wasn't able to insert them all the way in and as such the magnets that are part of the plug don't match up between pieces. That said the plugs themselves are quite long and should hold over the long term.

image13.jpegimage14.jpeg
image15.jpegimage16.jpeg

Another issue I have is in relation to the octopus 'hand'. The primary joints on the 'fingers' aren't very tight and one of them in particular is very loose, creating a floppy look if I bend it past a certain angle. I'm having to leave it pushed back as far as possible to avoid this look.
image8.jpeg

Again in relation to the 'hand' I have a nitpick. Does the battery compartment looks a bit weird? As it seems to be a just a plastic 'flap' made in order to insert the batteries into. Haven't attempted to take out the batteries yet (if ever), but that flap may snap off. And you can also see that it doesn't stay completely flush with the piece. However when magnetised onto the arm it's not an apparent issue.
image9.jpeg

And now this is so far from important that I shouldn't even mentioned it, but the small poster/print that came with the mine has bend/crease marks all over it.
IMG_0580.JPG

Again this may be normal and I'll try again but I can't seem to insert all the insertion plugs of the stairs all the way into the main base. Every plug/pin bar one goes all the way in. It's the lower centre plug which I believe may also be a magnet connection
image7.jpeg
And possibly because of this the stairs don't sit flush with the surface.
image10.jpeg

When I first took the main base out of the box I thought the base had a major tilting error as it's not perfectly vertical. But of course this is probably all to do with it's design and to help balance out both the Doc Oc arm and the figure. Just took me by surprise is all.
image12.jpeg
image11.jpeg

The rear of the diorama is simply too good looking not to show off. I'm really going to have to devise a easy way to spin this around. Just hesitant on using a relatively cheap Lazy Susan.
image18.jpeg
When connected the OSCORP sign/s has a bit of give and flexibility (probably by design). The 'ORP' part of the sign is held by small attachments, but because the bottom edge of it rests on the surface it's not a problem.

I haven't got the web attached in this pic, as imo the piece looks better without it.
image22.jpeg

One thing I wish this had was a big/heavy flat base onto which the main base could slot into. It's just that it can tilt a bit when adjusting/moving the statue.

Sorry for the long winded essay and I know some of my 'issues' could be considered 'nitpicks'; but as I said in the beginning I love this diorama statue and I see it being one of the centrepieces in my collection for years to come.

The magnet cover and seams worry me the most. The seams are wierd site Spider-Man comes in one piece. Excellent descriptions with pictures

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Errr I have see more ppl have issue with this statue.... Return or keep ...???

While those gaps in the pieces are there, and it is an odd choice for assembling the figure, they really aren't that noticeable outside of extreme close-up photos or if you put your face right up to the statue.
And this is definitely a keeper. If you liked it enough to order, you will not be disappointed. If there are issues, you can have them resolved or return. Definitely keep this baby!

To simplify my above post, I'm okay with the seams, even that one on the neck.

Just thought some would appreciate some close up pics to show how it appears this statue was put together.

My only real issues are those I mentioned on assembling the Octopus arm.

Yeah you take a magnifying glass and a flash bulb to anything it is going to look worse for the wear. Having said that Phoenix has some very valid points. Then there's the age old "Well if I pay this I expect this" which can stand true for any statue. I've seen people say "The XM Thanos is flawless" then have someone do a repaint of it and then hear people say "Damn wish XM would have done as good a job as this guy". I would never sit around on a message board and question if I should not pull the trigger on something I already ordered. People complained the first SSC Thor was fat but yet it sells for 4 times it's original value now.

I was one of the first folks to come in here and say "My IS Spidey came damaged". Yeah it did, but that happens. I hope it gets rectified and I'm pretty confident it will. I sit here and I look at this thing right now and expect to get my money's worth on those damages. I also sit here and look at, bar none, the best statue design I've ever seen. I think the common theme thus far has been, "This statue has it's flaws, but the actual overall experience is breathtaking".

I can't disagree. This isn't just a character statue. It's a scene from a comic book and a groundbreaking first in the statue diorama realm. AS a whole it's a glorious work of art. Nothing is comparable... yet.

To simplify my above post, I'm okay with the seams, even that one on the neck.

Just thought some would appreciate some close up pics to show how it appears this statue was put together.

My only real issues are those I mentioned on assembling the Octopus arm.

I wasn't calling you out, phoenix, just giving my two cents on the gaps. I know you said you were pleased with it. And I agree on Doc Ock's tentacles.

I've been told to smash mine by sideshow for a refund. The thing is a disgrace - spidey arrived with a broken leg and wouldn't fit onto the peg. Some of the back inches with broken due to the plastic being kinder egg-style cheap, and the whole thing wouldn't stand up because it was too front heavy. Overall, easily the worst statue I've received and nowhere near worth $750. It's the only statue I've ever returned.

I've been told to smash mine by sideshow for a refund. The thing is a disgrace - spidey arrived with a broken leg and wouldn't fit onto the peg. Some of the back inches with broken due to the plastic being kinder egg-style cheap, and the whole thing wouldn't stand up because it was too front heavy. Overall, easily the worst statue I've received and nowhere near worth $750. It's the only statue I've ever returned.

Ok so you got a real bad one! My question to you is had it had no issues would it have been worth it in the end. People were saying how the Wolf Predator Legendary scale figure was a rip off yet I've seen other statues top that 2k price point for a much smaller piece. And the Wolf is classed as one of the best statues ever created

Ok so you got a real bad one! My question to you is had it had no issues would it have been worth it in the end. People were saying how the Wolf Predator Legendary scale figure was a rip off yet I've seen other statues top that 2k price point for a much smaller piece. And the Wolf is classed as one of the best statues ever created

Tricky to answer that, because this is a mess. Let's put it this way, I've not seen enough to ask for a replacement.

Too front heavy?

Truthfully as I was assembling my piece I didn't have any balance issues per se. But it did cross my mind when I was wondering whether I could assemble the piece out of the order as directed by the instruction sheet, but decided against it after watching reviews and reading others comments on assembling the piece.

The only way it would have fallen, at least on my piece is if I fully assembled the Octopus arm before putting Spidey on, or vise versa. I can then see it falling over.

Which is why I'm still a tad hesitant in moving the piece; at least until I'm 100% sure where it's going to end up.

I also thought at one stage that Spidey wouldn't fit onto the base, but after watching Kitana/Sean's unboxing review I knew angle was key. Took me awhile (probably too long a time) to find the sweet spot.

If only we could've received the piece fully assembled. That would've been a dream as we shouldn't sweat when we're assembling a statue. Should be a 100% enjoyable experience.

Too front heavy?

Truthfully as I was assembling my piece I didn't have any balance issues per se. But it did cross my mind when I was wondering whether I could assemble the piece out of the order as directed by the instruction sheet, but decided against it after watching reviews and reading others comments on assembling the piece.

The only way it would have fallen, at least on my piece is if I fully assembled the Octopus arm before putting Spidey on, or vise versa. I can then see it falling over.

Which is why I'm still a tad hesitant in moving the piece; at least until I'm 100% sure where it's going to end up.

I also thought at one stage that Spidey wouldn't fit onto the base, but after watching Kitana/Sean's unboxing review I knew angle was key. Took me awhile (probably too long a time) to find the sweet spot.

If only we could've received the piece fully assembled. That would've been a dream as we shouldn't sweat when we're assembling a statue. Should be a 100% enjoyable experience.

That sounds so true! No one should sweat when putting a statue together. It should be a happy thing to do. Yes they can seriously improve this piece by maybe adding a base at the bottom but I guess it's all cost.

That sounds so true! No one should sweat when putting a statue together. It should be a happy thing to do. Yes they can seriously improve this piece by maybe adding a base at the bottom but I guess it's all cost.

Yes I agree on the addition of a lower base. That was on my wish list on my original post, as it would solve all the balance issues (or at least fears).

Maybe someone could custom mold a piece.

All I can recommend when your putting the Spider-Man onto the base for the first time is lower it tilted to your left (it's right) and possibly tilted downwards from the front (web shooting hand down)...... I think; someone correct me if I'm wrong..... I think I've tried to forget the experience :dunno

For those who already have this statue I have a question.

I just noticed on mine that Spidey doesn't completely rest in the cavity where he plugs into. If you look at my pic you can see space between spidey and the pillar of the base. And I'm quite sure he's been fully inserted.

Just wanted to know if anyone elses was the same? (To see if it was intentional etc, as it would make sense that he should not be touching anything swinging through :) )

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

While those gaps in the pieces are there, and it is an odd choice for assembling the figure, they really aren't that noticeable outside of extreme close-up photos or if you put your face right up to the statue.
And this is definitely a keeper. If you liked it enough to order, you will not be disappointed. If there are issues, you can have them resolved or return. Definitely keep this baby!
Yeah it's so massive and complex I think I could live with some issues.

Yeah you take a magnifying glass and a flash bulb to anything it is going to look worse for the wear. Having said that Phoenix has some very valid points. Then there's the age old "Well if I pay this I expect this" which can stand true for any statue. I've seen people say "The XM Thanos is flawless" then have someone do a repaint of it and then hear people say "Damn wish XM would have done as good a job as this guy". I would never sit around on a message board and question if I should not pull the trigger on something I already ordered. People complained the first SSC Thor was fat but yet it sells for 4 times it's original value now.

I was one of the first folks to come in here and say "My IS Spidey came damaged". Yeah it did, but that happens. I hope it gets rectified and I'm pretty confident it will. I sit here and I look at this thing right now and expect to get my money's worth on those damages. I also sit here and look at, bar none, the best statue design I've ever seen. I think the common theme thus far has been, "This statue has it's flaws, but the actual overall experience is breathtaking".

I can't disagree. This isn't just a character statue. It's a scene from a comic book and a groundbreaking first in the statue diorama realm. AS a whole it's a glorious work of art. Nothing is comparable... yet.
Bravo well said and totally agree

The magnet cover and seams worry me the most. The seams are wierd site Spider-Man comes in one piece. Excellent descriptions with pictures

I can't stand the seams. It's one of the main reasons why I will not buy a figure (unless it's hidden well).

I don't like the seam on Spidey's neck. :(

This is an amazing piece, however, and as a whole looks very good.

Back