Iron Man Mark XLII Life Size Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pics. Pretty interesting comparison shot. Gold on the face plate looks better on the III, but maybe maybe the 42's gold is what it looked similar to in the movie. I dunno, would have to check out stills from the film. Comparing the pics, it really does seem more plausible that a person could fit into the 42, as compared to the III, so that's cool too.

I like the Mark III better in that pic, looks meaner. If only it came with a detailed Arc Reactor (alá War Machine), then it would be perfect.

Mk 3 looks bad ass, and if they revisit any of the original Mk's with LED's that are accessible to the collector I'd bite.

I actually like the Mark XLII better. Thinking about using some points and ordering it.

This just came into stock at Popcultcha (Australia).

Should be receiving mine on Friday.

Hopefully this comes in better then expected. Given recent pics, my expectations aren't very high. It's just that I've wanted it for so long now.

the cost its very high i think,i believe it must cost around 700$.what is your opinions guys?

Funny, I was just about to come on here to write that I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any YouTube video of this guy. Thanks for the link. Not a video review, but you definitely get to see the detail there.

After watching the video, while I'm still somewhat on the fence due to the price, I really like it a lot more. I think the head looks really, really great.

I guess it would've cost too much to make a detailed reactor when the light's off? Still think that does look odd.

I wonder if any future 20 or 30% off sales come around, if this bust will be an option for it? I also wonder if we'll see a "battle-damaged" version like Sideshow did with the III. I can't remember why they did that--did they just take all the busts that people returned, fixed them up, and resold them with "battle damage?"

Just received my 1:1 bust, and it was below my already low expectations.

First thing I noticed is that it barely weighs anything, if not for the dimensions you could easily carry it with one hand/arm (okay, maybe not that light) Will weigh it at a later date.

I know weight shouldn't matter, at least too much, but truthfully it felt that it weighed not too much more than my Mark 6 1/2 scale bust. The only pieces with any heft for their size were the shoulder pieces.

The head and upper chest felt completely hollow, and the head in particular felt that it was made out of plastic. If put together right it could almost be used for cosplay!

Like the Mark 6 the eye pieces are painted with a white paint (sprays and streaks are present upon very close close ups) which upon close ups do not look all that great at all (when lit it's worse). Should've used the same method as was used for the chest RT, which even though its got no proper design, it is smooth and clean, and looks great lit up.

The head, on mine at least had a few scuff marks. Which again can only be seen on very close inspection. But given that it is 1:1 its not too hard to see.

Haven't inspected it fully as it's getting dark here, but there are other scuff marks on the body, but hey maybe SS were going for authenticity of the armour as shown in the movie. So any paint issues etc, I'll just treat as battle slight battle damage.

The paint app, isn't perfect but was more or less within my expectations. I'll go into more indepth on the paint apps tomorrow after I've had a longer time to appreciate it.

This might be unexpected from my comments but I will be keeping the piece as I've wanted it for so long and I've long had a empty position for it in my display, and the hell that my courier put me through I just can't be bothered returning it.

I was hoping it would be the stand out piece of my collection, but that honour remains with my Prime 1 Optimus Prime. (Which happens to be right next to the bust).
image.jpg

Dang, sorry Phoenix. For a grand you should be blown away, not frustrated. Would have been nice of the head was movable, never was sure why they opted to have him looking to the right.

Just received my 1:1 bust, and it was below my already low expectations.

First thing I noticed is that it barely weighs anything, if not for the dimensions you could easily carry it with one hand/arm (okay, maybe not that light) Will weigh it at a later date.

I know weight shouldn't matter, at least too much, but truthfully it felt that it weighed not too much more than my Mark 6 1/2 scale bust. The only pieces with any heft for their size were the shoulder pieces.

The head and upper chest felt completely hollow, and the head in particular felt that it was made out of plastic. If put together right it could almost be used for cosplay!

Like the Mark 6 the eye pieces are painted with a white paint (sprays and streaks are present upon very close close ups) which upon close ups do not look all that great at all (when lit it's worse). Should've used the same method as was used for the chest RT, which even though its got no proper design, it is smooth and clean, and looks great lit up.

The head, on mine at least had a few scuff marks. Which again can only be seen on very close inspection. But given that it is 1:1 its not too hard to see.

Haven't inspected it fully as it's getting dark here, but there are other scuff marks on the body, but hey maybe SS were going for authenticity of the armour as shown in the movie. So any paint issues etc, I'll just treat as battle slight battle damage.

The paint app, isn't perfect but was more or less within my expectations. I'll go into more indepth on the paint apps tomorrow after I've had a longer time to appreciate it.

This might be unexpected from my comments but I will be keeping the piece as I've wanted it for so long and I've long had a empty position for it in my display, and the hell that my courier put me through I just can't be bothered returning it.

I was hoping it would be the stand out piece of my collection, but that honour remains with my Prime 1 Optimus Prime. (Which happens to be right next to the bust).
View attachment 190366

Thanks for your review of this piece. Like you, I really wanted this to turn out amazing, but after your review and some of the comments in this thread, now I having second thoughts. Looking forward to your thoughts on the paint application over the weekend. Also does it have lumps in the casting? Some have said from certain angles its not perfectly smooth

Thanks for your review. You discussed the weight a lot... Do you personally feel the weight affects how you feel about the piece? In other words, because it's lighter, do you feel that makes you look at it as being cheaper?

Thanks for your review. You discussed the weight a lot... Do you personally feel the weight affects how you feel about the piece? In other words, because it's lighter, do you feel that makes you look at it as being cheaper?

As I said it shouldn't matter, but I guess to me it does. To what extent?, it's more of an annoyance now but I like for my statues to have a bit of heft to them. (Which is why I would never touch the Christopher Reeves PF with a ten foot pole.....even though I do collect Hot Toys) It's currently sticking in my mind because the first thing I lifted out of the box was the head and for whatever reason they made that as light as can be.

It should matter less to me as I'm someone who spends a bit on getting custom acrylic display cases made up, and once that is made, I'll be rare for me to even touch the bust, as I'm thinking that the acrylic cover at 6mm thickness itself is going to weigh more then the bust, or at least feel like it because of the awkwardness of lifting that sucker.

One point on the assembly, but it felt that for the shoulder pieces that the left one is quite loose or rather goes in easily, but the right one is more form fitting and secure. Not an issue per se, just a small nitpick.

I'm thinking it's normal, as for that youtube video that was posted a few posts back, I think it was the same.

And I would like peoples opinion on something. As we know the paint app is somewhat dull/bland etc. Would a clear gloss paint spray as you would use on model kits improve the look and make it more vibrant??

As it is extremely easy to apply.

Dang, sorry Phoenix. For a grand you should be blown away, not frustrated. Would have been nice of the head was movable, never was sure why they opted to have him looking to the right.

I'm not sure frustrated is the right word for what I'm feeling right now. Just slightly annoyed, as it came only 'a bit' below expectations, and no major disasters as is common with some SS/legacy pieces (But the courier service did make me frustrated).

Though I guess the no metallic finish could be considered a sin, but I knew that before I paid the balance after the $100 deposit, which I could of had transferred to another piece. Heck I believed most of us here on these boards knew that SS was never going to provide that finish to the bust, because that's just what they do.

The only way this piece will blow away anyone is if this had the paint stripped and it gets repainted by someone who knows what they're doing.

I don't really mind too much regarding the head turn/tilt, as it pretty much looks right at me from where its displayed. But it does make getting the acrylic box made up more difficult as I'll have to get a deeper case made up to allow for alternate display options.

Back