Iron Man Mark XLII Life Size Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definately right about this bust being displayed at an angle...obviously due to the tilt of the head. Like you, i'd be inclined to make the case slighly deeper/wider to enable it to be displayed this way - bit like how I've done with MKII and III busts

Recently requested a quote for my acrylic case - just a guess at dimensions for now.

"6mm Clear Acrylic 5 Sided Cover 700mm x 450mm x 700mm high with a 10mm Black Acrylic Rebated Base. Polished Edges.
The quote for 1 unit is $440.00 + GST." - Aussie dollars

Damn wish this hobby was cheaper.

But given that I don't expect this to arrive in Australia any time soon, I have time to save.... And of course find the space to display it.

Just to let everybody know i got mine today. I was extremely pissed when i seen sideshows final pics.It looked nothing like prototypes premise.I lost all excitement and felt cheated.I was so close to cancelling at last minute.It arrived today and its incredible!.Id consider myself a person who nit picks at every detail.Its not like a cheap cosplay armour at all so Do Not Judge it until you see it up close or you will regret it.Its really impressive in real life.Everyone who came into my house was really blown away by it.Its far from perfect.Has some small imperfections but nothing too noticeable or bad.The paint mostly is really good and shiny red.Still not car quality but really good.The shoulders are cool and add loads of presence.Its never gonna be 100% perfect its still mostly hand made.Its a fantastic piece and it does look quite realistic.Im so glad i didnt cancel.The metallic paint would of been a huge bonus but thats life.I personally love it and would def advise others if they like Iron Man to get it.Its the centre piece of my collection nowView attachment 183820View attachment 183821View attachment 183822

I got it as well and overall I like it but it has imperfections in the paint , has this around the eyes and stuff like that it's far from perfect but it's really good at the same time.some of the paint is just off in places but u need to look really close

Ur def right about the angle.Ive my bust sitting in the corner of the room angled facing in to the middle of room.An acrylic display would be cool with Led lights.Ill post more pics of my mancave soon.........providing my wife hasint thrown me out yet.Lets hope she never sees sideshowtoy.com and sees the real price :)

The mark 42 chest look bumpy doesn't look smooth at all. Is that just lighting or the actual sculpt?

Wondering if I should be exchanging it if it has these small imperfections with the paint just seems like some of the black goes over in some spots but if everyone's is the same that I was going to keep it overall it looks good except for the minor paint issues

Wondering if I should be exchanging it if it has these small imperfections with the paint just seems like some of the black goes over in some spots but if everyone's is the same that I was going to keep it overall it looks good except for the minor paint issues

Your rolling the dice, the next one you get maybe worse. I would probably keep it.

Keep it. Mine has same tiny issues. Overall this piece rocks because of the size and shoulders. Honestly, they should consider putting shoulders in all future Iron Man busts. It's amazing how much of a different that makes to presence of the busts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only chance you have of getting a perfect bust is if they accidentally send you that awesome prototype they first showed :) otherwise they will all have little imperfections.Its still an incredible showpiece.People literally run over to it in my house to take pictures with it!

Just got this bust delivered and I have to say, I am a bit let down. This is my second purchase from Sideshow (not a huge collector) but I love Iron Man and this piece caught my eye. So after going back and forth for a few weeks deciding on whether or not to order the piece, I finally caved after seeing some of the nicer pictures of it on these forums. Then I received it.

Let me start by saying that overall, it is still a very cool piece. The size of it is awesome and the shoulders really do make a big difference compared to the other busts I've seen. But it is nowhere near perfect. First off, the quality. The piece is pretty solid, weighing in at about 40lbs, so it won't move around that easy. But the materials used make it feel more plasticky then metallic, which is especially noticeable when you run your hand along it or give it a little knock. It's just missing that "iron" man feel. And then there's the paint. After spending 1k on this statue, the thought of finding an airbrush painter around me to apply a second coat really shouldn't cross my mind. But it has. The paint is, well, a little underwhelming. It certainly is more flat then metallic, and nowhere near car quality. Not to mention, there are at least 5 2-3mm areas where the paint is just missing, or overlapping with an adjacent segment. It certainly leaves much to be desired.

And then there's the mold. For the previous posters commenting on the unevenness of the chest plate, it's there, it's real. Certain lighting brings it out more then to actually is, but it is definitely noticeable. But honestly, that doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me is the super subtle, but very noticeable dip on the bottom left lip, which makes his mouth look a bit crooked in low light scenarios.

Overall, I do like the piece (probably because I love Iron Man), and I will keep it (also, the thought of shipping this back is daunting) but I just can't justify Sideshow's $999 price tag. Honestly, that's a lot of money to drop down on something that is nowhere near movie quality. It is still a nice piece and if you overlook its imperfections (like I'm trying to do), you could start to really like it. But at the end of the day, if you're going to pay premium price for a bust like this, you should love it the second you take it out of the box, which just didn't happen with this statue. If they would have put some metal somewhere on this thing (like the prototype) or painted it with a metallic paint, my review would have been much different. But they decided not to.

Justified complaints apart from it not feeling like metal.
Only metal or chrome plate will give that cold to touch metal feel, that was never promised nor expected.

Just found that the ETA date is 19th June for when it is expected to arrive instore at Popcultcha (Australia).

Now just have to decide whether to get it or not.

It'll replace the 1/2 Mark VI bust in my display. With all it's many many flaws I eventually started to appreciate it.

But the materials used make it feel more plasticky then metallic, which is especially noticeable when you run your hand along it or give it a little knock. It's just missing that "iron" man feel.

Only metal or chrome plate will give that cold to touch metal feel, that was never promised nor expected.

One thing I noticed is that most life size busts in general are fiberglass reinforced which makes them feel more plastic-y then the usual 1:4 polystone statues, I think that's what throwing people off, it doesn't feel like an actual statue, more like a 360 degree fiberglass mask.

Personally I'd prefer if they use the normal polystone method seen in 1:4 statues, I own a few Universal Classic Monster 1:1 busts and those are actual statue busts, I wish they still make them that way.

---

Does anyone have this bust and the Mark III bust from a few years ago? Would be interested in knowing what someone thinks of each with them both in the same room.

Just got this bust delivered and I have to say, I am a bit let down. This is my second purchase from Sideshow (not a huge collector) but I love Iron Man and this piece caught my eye. So after going back and forth for a few weeks deciding on whether or not to order the piece, I finally caved after seeing some of the nicer pictures of it on these forums. Then I received it.

Let me start by saying that overall, it is still a very cool piece. The size of it is awesome and the shoulders really do make a big difference compared to the other busts I've seen. But it is nowhere near perfect. First off, the quality. The piece is pretty solid, weighing in at about 40lbs, so it won't move around that easy. But the materials used make it feel more plasticky then metallic, which is especially noticeable when you run your hand along it or give it a little knock. It's just missing that "iron" man feel. And then there's the paint. After spending 1k on this statue, the thought of finding an airbrush painter around me to apply a second coat really shouldn't cross my mind. But it has. The paint is, well, a little underwhelming. It certainly is more flat then metallic, and nowhere near car quality. Not to mention, there are at least 5 2-3mm areas where the paint is just missing, or overlapping with an adjacent segment. It certainly leaves much to be desired.

And then there's the mold. For the previous posters commenting on the unevenness of the chest plate, it's there, it's real. Certain lighting brings it out more then to actually is, but it is definitely noticeable. But honestly, that doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me is the super subtle, but very noticeable dip on the bottom left lip, which makes his mouth look a bit crooked in low light scenarios.

Overall, I do like the piece (probably because I love Iron Man), and I will keep it (also, the thought of shipping this back is daunting) but I just can't justify Sideshow's $999 price tag. Honestly, that's a lot of money to drop down on something that is nowhere near movie quality. It is still a nice piece and if you overlook its imperfections (like I'm trying to do), you could start to really like it. But at the end of the day, if you're going to pay premium price for a bust like this, you should love it the second you take it out of the box, which just didn't happen with this statue. If they would have put some metal somewhere on this thing (like the prototype) or painted it with a metallic paint, my review would have been much different. But they decided not to.

Thank you for the honest review.

Photos by China Collector

7c724909c93d70cf208bf096fddcd100bba12b87.jpg25db77ee3d6d55fb23c92cbd68224f4a21a4ddee.jpg36b6c8cd7b899e514e81608f47a7d933c9950ded.jpg39bf1487e950352a7d177f935643fbf2b3118b87.jpg39cbc750352ac65cac093ce8fef2b21192138aed.jpg044406381f30e924cfd4c6aa49086e061c95f781.jpg

Attachments

• a8282d4f78f0f736fcf7169a0f55b319eac413ef.jpg
    a8282d4f78f0f736fcf7169a0f55b319eac413ef.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 581
  • ba4d6490f603738dcb3c56b9b61bb051f919ec87.jpg
    ba4d6490f603738dcb3c56b9b61bb051f919ec87.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 577
  • cd57b316fdfaaf511feddb24895494eef11f7aef.jpg
    cd57b316fdfaaf511feddb24895494eef11f7aef.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 581

Good review Ironknight and Collectoral your spot on with your comment above. All I can say I will never buy an Sideshow Iron Man 1:1 bust again after what I have experienced with the mark 7, unless it's a superior recast from the far east lol. At least Sideshow are knocking it out the park with those art boxes

Saw this beside the MKIII - impressive size, but it had the same flaws others have noted.

198 (Medium).JPG

199 (Medium).JPG

Back