IRON MAN 2 Mk VI Maquette photos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like those scratches and scrapped that make it look like he was in a big fight, but the ones with a badly chin, crappy lines and chipped polystone does not look like battle damage, just bad QC.

I'm glad I passed this initially, so far I have not found any good paint jobs from the LCS I've been too. Many of them have the same problems.

The chin on the high res pics looks good to me and but the black lines don't.

400041_press04.jpg
400041_press03.jpg

I'm really surprised that anybody could think the prototype that Sideshow offered didn't show battle damage. It was covered in silver chips, scrapes and scratches and was obviously intended to show the effects of being in combat.

However, I remember remarking at the time that Sideshow should have drawn people's attention to that fact in their write-up of the piece, and that not doing so would inevitably lead to some unpleasant surprises.

On the other hand, I get the feeling that some people are ordering Sideshow's products without downloading and examining hi-res pics first, which I find is essential to fully understand what you're getting. Sure the prototype is often superior, but at the same time if any deficiencies show up on the proto, they're almost certain to be worse on the production version. With this Iron Man, most of the issues people are unhappy about (rough chin, battle damage, sloppy black lines) show up clearly on the hi-res pics where they're not obvious on the smaller, low res versions on the site.

I blame Sideshow for not advertising the product accurately enough in this instance, but I'd advise anybody considering the purchase of an expensive piece to check out hi-res pics first to make sure it's really what they're hoping for.

Excuse, but it really doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about. Do you have the piece? If you did, and it was inferior quality, you would know we're not complaining about the silver battle damage, but the sloppy black paint application, the red bleeding through the gold, the various and obvious chips touched up with nonmatching paint, and crooked jaws, or paint bleeding over the edge.

None of these things were present in any pics, low or high rez.

Read the thread. The battle damage was done pretty good, but too many other issues.

Here's a small review I did on Iron Man!

Packaging: 10/10

The packaging was designed to protect and deliver Iron Man safely to your collection and that’s exactly what it did. Nothing to crazy on the artwork on Sideshow’s box other than the Iron Man 2 Movie Graphics and imagery of the Maquette. While it’s nothing mind blowing it does the job well and that’s all you can ask for!

Sculpt: 10/10

Legacy and Sideshow did an AMAZING job on Iron Man’s Sculpt. With one arm out reached and the other repulser ready to fire along with the lighted arc and eyes makes it a thing of beauty. From every detail in the armor to the base and the battle damaged drone it’s masterfully done!

The only thing of concern so far has been the paint detail on the chin. This is either a sanding issue or a paint issue it may be too early to tell in the production. This area of the chin is connected to the shoulder of Iron Man and could have been very hard to cover for a perfect airbrush. Other than this detail the sculpt on the Maquette is epic.

Paint: 8.5/10

The paint job on my Iron Man is perfect. It has clean crisp details and the battle damage looks great! The hot rod red looks great with the gold and silver! I really can’t find an area of bad paint on my sample other than small brush details on the chin, which I discussed earlier.

The reason why I gave an 8.5/10 is because some of the samples I have seen on various forums that are examples of bad detailing and have real bad chin issues.

Accessories: 10/10

While he doesn’t have an actual accessory the dead drone body on the bottom of the base is beautiful and really makes this piece jump right off the movie screen into your display case!

Lighting: 10/10

The lighting which uses LEDs to light up the Eyes, Hand Repulsers, and Arc Heart really finish the maquette and turns it into a statue into a piece of art!

It’s powered by 3 batteries and also comes with an A/C adaptor.

Value: 9/10

For the price of a little over $500 I would want my Iron Man to be perfect and while I do consider my piece to be perfect I have seen pieces that I would return right now. Because of this high price tag and the edition size to be 2,800 (2,000 regular and 800 exclusive) I would expect that every piece would be perfect so I caution you to be careful dropping the cash if you don’t want to take the risk!

Over All: 9.5/10

If you want a beautiful representation of Iron Man than this piece is for you! With the huge commanding size and presence of this piece it makes for a truly beautiful collectible!

Seriously? WTF?

Way to rub it in.

Excuse, but it really doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about.

No need to get aggressive and confrontational, I was speaking specifically in regard to points like this one:

"Also, when I got it, at first I thought it was damaged cause I saw silvery areas here and there. I finally decided it was "battle damage" which apparently everyone has confirmed is what it is. They should have let us know before we bought the thing that it was battle damaged."

And as the poster says, SS should have made buyers aware.

The other flaws you mention are certainly legitimate concerns, but some issues ARE present on the hi-res proto shots, specifically things like: "the sloppy black paint application, the red bleeding through the gold", indicating that this was never going to be the top grade paint app that many were hoping for.

Well, outside of the chip in the thumb I'd consider mine flawless.

The review above is a solid review. The only tip I would give is don't lower the score on yours cause of issues with others pieces, but do mention it.

I would suggest that SS inspect all of the ones that have not shipped and carry out any remedial repaint work now. It will save them money in the long run. I am going to ask them to inspect it before shipping mine.

Ok. I took a friend's advice and decided to put the black lines in for the mouth.

Pics of my Mark VI now :D

ba7159bd.jpg

4c7dfbe5.jpg

44ccc628.jpg

adc8678e.jpg

e165a652.jpg

So they are inspecting them before shipping. And are people still receiving poorly painted maquettes.

I'm really surprised that anybody could think the prototype that Sideshow offered didn't show battle damage. It was covered in silver chips, scrapes and scratches and was obviously intended to show the effects of being in combat.

However, I remember remarking at the time that Sideshow should have drawn people's attention to that fact in their write-up of the piece, and that not doing so would inevitably lead to some unpleasant surprises.

On the other hand, I get the feeling that some people are ordering Sideshow's products without downloading and examining hi-res pics first, which I find is essential to fully understand what you're getting. Sure the prototype is often superior, but at the same time if any deficiencies show up on the proto, they're almost certain to be worse on the production version. With this Iron Man, most of the issues people are unhappy about (rough chin, battle damage, sloppy black lines) show up clearly on the hi-res pics where they're not obvious on the smaller, low res versions on the site.

I blame Sideshow for not advertising the product accurately enough in this instance, but I'd advise anybody considering the purchase of an expensive piece to check out hi-res pics first to make sure it's really what they're hoping for.

I agree with this. For anyone questioning the battle damage, it has been there the whole time and it was obviously going to have some variation in the final production piece among other things.

The only issue I have with this item is the chin. Obviously some have other issues with paint bleeding or chips but that doesn't bother me because those are faults that can be resolved by getting a replacement. The battle damage is also fine by me. I prefer it to not be a battle damaged version but I'm ok with it. The chin unfortunately can't be resolved because they all seem to have the same issue. As some have suggested and I agree with the theory that all the chins were mistakenly painted red and then painted over in gold to fix the problem. Some have been painted over better than others but regardless of the level of repair they've all been patched. To me personally, knowing I have a $500 statue that's been patched/repaired and I'm expected to pay full retail for it, I can't accept that and therefore, I'm out and will not be getting this maquette. I may get it down the road off eBay if it's selling for less but I won't pay retail for it. If the price never drops, I'm ok with that too and I'll be happy for all of you that stuck with it and kept it. Just my personal opinion. :wave

I totally understand where people are coming from with this statue! If paint was running through on my piece along with actual chips and bad chin paint I'd be upset too!

But after reviewing the SDCC pictures along with the ones on Sideshow's the battle damage was supposed to be there and while heavier than the original pictures on Sideshow's preview it still looks great and deserves to be on the statue.

So what are they going to do with all these returned pieces? Are they going to touch them up and sell it again? I wouldn't want that.

Back