Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Mark II (Armor Unleashed Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is CLEAR as day that the Mark III's color steers on the maroon side more than a candy red. The HT BD Mark III was all wrong. The first HT Mark III was a bit too dark, but it has the right overall direction. And yes, there is a discrepancy in the movie between what Tony says and the end result, but it is what it is. BTW, the diaper on the new Mark II is awesome!

Not color blind high five!

DX= PERS and usually at least 2 (or more) display options. Primarily just PERS.

Yeah, agreed. The only thing unique to the DX treatment is the PERS everything else such as multiple display options, elaborate bases, lots of accesories, etc has appeared in "normal" releases.

Not color blind high five!

:hi5:

But I have to say that I certainly understand and value Geil's arguments however, because lighting does influence colors. Still, promo pics of the movie clearly show a maroony red being used for the costume, so in the end HT got it right, albeit a bit too dark maybe.

Yeah the original Mark III isn't exactly right in terms of either color or finish but the BD is much farther off the mark. Really all I want IF they do a new Mark III, and that's a big if, is that it's a noticeably different and darker color than the Mark IV.

Personally I'd love to know the inconsistency in prices. The Batman DX was $189, Joker DX was $189 - $199, Michael Jackson DX was $189 - $199. Indiana Jones DX goes up to $234.99, Jack Sparrow DX is $219.99, while a DX Bruce Lee is $199.99.

A MMS Sweeney Todd is $219.99 and an MSS Iron Man 2 Mark II is $209.

The numbers are all over the place. So how does DX justify being expensive, when there's MMS figures for pre-order that costs just as much as a DX. Or more.

It seems to me that its all about the diorama pieces, mos of the 200+ Dx figures give you a large display piece - Sparrows ships wheel, Sweeny Todds chair, Indy's idol base, the Mk2 is just all levels of detail.

If they can keep the MMS line around the 130-160 mark, I don't mind paying more for the 'bigger' set

Also I'm sure the license plays a lot into it. I'd bet licenses for brand new properties are much more expensive than older ones.

Personally I'd love to know the inconsistency in prices. The Batman DX was $189, Joker DX was $189 - $199, Michael Jackson DX was $189 - $199. Indiana Jones DX goes up to $234.99, Jack Sparrow DX is $219.99, while a DX Bruce Lee is $199.99.

The numbers are all over the place. So how does DX justify being expensive, when there's MMS figures for pre-order that costs just as much as a DX. Or more.
That's why I put the big grin at the end....was just having fun with it.
Try it out sometime.

HT is gauging prices collectors are willing to pay. Like goofballs we pay the higher prices so expect their baseline prices to continue rising. :panic:

:hi5:

But I have to say that I certainly understand and value Geil's arguments however, because lighting does influence colors. Still, promo pics of the movie clearly show a maroony red being used for the costume, so in the end HT got it right, albeit a bit too dark maybe.

I am glad this remains a discussion albeit in the wrong thread :p. But again I can only ask to not refer to the promo shots but the actual movie. Which I believe should be the reference material as that is what the figure is based on. Pleasaaaase go watch it again.
Also since I am not in a business giving me expertise in color but one that requires me to be rather logic driven.
- would in a true maroon color be perceived as red in any real lighting condition?
This I believe is the question that needs answering as I see red throughout the movie (please watch it before whipping out another promo shot, I now need to know if I am somehow color deficient) and if the above answer to it is no then my conclusion simply cannot be maroon.

As for MII sorry that I can't find a way to contribute to the discussion as I find it awesome and need of owning even though I already have the original MII Ex. Too bad it is something I picked up in the early days of my collecting and it was the last one and was send back to HT for repair and now looking at it up close it os quite BD with a dz paint scratched throughout :( just never had the eye for it then

:borg:

Products cost being heavily labour driven are inherently to cost especially when each project is so different. I suspect in the end what fluctuates the price is indeed the licensing cost vs edition size. The steady upward trend is undeniable and will remain part of our hobby as labour cost in China continues to "normalize" and gas prices continue to rise.

I am glad this remains a discussion albeit in the wrong thread :p. But again I can only ask to not refer to the promo shots but the actual movie. Which I believe should be the reference material as that is what the figure is based on. Pleasaaaase go watch it again.
Also since I am not in a business giving me expertise in color but one that requires me to be rather logic driven.
- would in a true maroon color be perceived as red in any real lighting condition?
This I believe is the question that needs answering as I see red throughout the movie (please watch it before whipping out another promo shot, I now need to know if I am somehow color deficient) and if the above answer to it is no then my conclusion simply cannot be maroon.

You seem to be stuck on the name "maroon". To be more accurate let's call it a medium saturation, medium shade red that pulls more blue than orange. To answer your question: yes. A "maroon" which has a bit of blue in it if shown under warmer (red/yellow/orange) light will appear more more red than under cooler (blue/violet/green) lighting conditions. Bear with me my color theory may be a bit rusty.

Basic subtractive color theory which is where white is the absence of color and black is all colors goes like this. This also broadly holds true for additive color or "light".

Red>Orange>Yellow>Green>Blue>Violet>Red

The Mark III suit falls more to the right side of the line while the Mark IV-VI fall more into the left side of the line. Basically if you want something Yellow to look Green you can light it with Blue lights and it will go Green. In the case of the Mark III you have a more complex color that's mostly Red (of course also with black and white leaning more towards black) but also has a touch of Blue/Violet in it. So if you light it with yellow light it will pull out some of that blue or if you go with red/orange light it will add to the red that's already there making it brighter.

With modern color timing a lot of this isn't super meaningful anymore but lights generally cause the following color variations, again don't take this as gospel. While I do have a lot of training in the arts I'm not super up on my movie-making lights.

- Halogen is among the truest "white"
- "White" LED pulls a lot of blue in most cases depending on the quality of the light and also can cause a drop in color intensity
- Sodium lights pull yellow hard. A lot of period films have that look as it emulates candle light pretty well. The one I always remember is the second Crow movie. It's all lit with sodium lights and it makes it appear very warm and yellow.
- Fluorescents pull green hard. All of the stuff in the first Matrix film inside the Matrix was shot under fluorescents and not color corrected which is what gives it that sickly green color.
- Incandescent lights pull orange/yellow.

- Sunlight can either really push blue or yellow depending. I've had to correct for both when taking photographs.

There's a bunch of other ones as well I'm sure but those are the main ones I'm aware of.

I disagree with your assertion that it ever looks bright high saturation low black red in the movie. It sometimes looks less violet than other times depending on lighting and how the scene was color timed but it never looks like a bright "candy apple" red. Can you at least agree that it's a different color than the Mark IV?

Yeah, let's not use "maroon", then. Simply, let's use a "darker" shade of red. Even in the movie, the suit sure as hell wasn't candy red like the BD Mark III (and don't even get me started on the horrible and completely unrealistic proportions of this figure!). The new Mark II is a sure improvement, but there is still ways to go before we can say it is a solid as the Marks IV and/or VI.

can any one confirm the height of this new MK2?
is it as tall as the MK4 and MK6 ?

Oh I also forgot that what setting a color is in can change the perception of the color. For example a Red on a Green backdrop will look more Red than a Red on a white back drop.

Darker red I like. Cause deep inside I hate burgundy and maroon is too close to that, not like I know the difference either :lol. Had. A car ones I had had that color and just was not liking it. To be honest I don't really know what candy red nor hot rod red truly is but just going into this debate the mark comes across as red to me, albeit different shades and hence my concession and my fall back position.

Darker red I like. Cause deep inside I hate burgundy and maroon is too close to that, not like I know the difference either :lol. Had. A car ones I had had that color and just was not liking it. To be honest I don't really know what candy red nor hot rod red truly is but just going into this debate the mark comes across as red to me, albeit different shades and hence my concession and my fall back position.

Here's actually a good comparison of reds from a lipstick company:

red+lipstick+spectrum.jpg

The top reds are "warm" while the bottom reds are "cool". Or in other words the top have more orange/yellow in them while the bottom have more blue/violet. There's also a variety of shades (amount of black) and intensity (amount of color). The Mark III while not any of those colors exactly falls more towards the bottom right of the chart.

Oh I also forgot that what setting a color is in can change the perception of the color. For example a Red on a Green backdrop will look more Red than a Red on a white back drop.

I love how there was no mention of light dependent paints. Metallic paints (Pearlescent) can change regardless what light you use or out in the natural daylight, sunshine/cloudy/shade or overcast. The brighter the lighting is the more vibrant red it becomes in the sun. The darker it becomes the more ruby red that reveals and under room lighting it's so ruby red it starts to sparkle.

I just wish the battle damaged Mark III was not so glossy. It's got so much lacquer on it it's nearly mirrored finish. It's suppose to be a somewhat matte subtle shine look to it.

To be honest that looks as close as the very first figure.

IronMan_Comparison_Web.jpg

I wish they could have refined the flaps over the hands for Mark 2. Make them more rigid like Mark 4 and 6.

ironman-markvi6.jpg

Back