Interest thread:art of hot toys book project marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The standard art of books have an Msrp around 60 bucks.

But if this has a full visual of every figure it would be 7 times the size of the aou art of book. (Estimated obviously)

If I can do the work in house, at least some, and get a good publication deal if it's one large book I think best price would be around (at very very best) 100 dollars. Probably a fair bit more.

But there's also potential to break it down. Do one large all in book...and several smaller volume type ones. Like a marvel one, and a dc, ect. That way people have options. Not sure yet. I've submitted my request to hot toys corp office so I'll see what they say.

I don't imagine this would be a cheap book though. You figure they have nearly 500 figures so far, released. That's a lot of color pages.

Yeah, you´re sure right about that.
And I get you on that one.
Had a training in 3D software a few years ago and designed a fully movable t-800 forearm and since everyone there said that I should something out of it, I figured:
"HT does 18" T-600´s and bigger other stuff. Why not plastic, painted and moving props?!"
So I wrote studiocanal and als HT if they would be interested.

Nothing came back, just for a heads up...

They should release book that provide picture/information for every Hot Toys release. Like this

mdw68844_1.jpg

Its neat book, I have one. Its provide info of every gundam kit release since they made it for 1st time. Including time of release, features on it. I will buy one if hot toys make like this

Yeah, you´re sure right about that.
And I get you on that one.
Had a training in 3D software a few years ago and designed a fully movable t-800 forearm and since everyone there said that I should something out of it, I figured:
"HT does 18" T-600´s and bigger other stuff. Why not plastic, painted and moving props?!"
So I wrote studiocanal and als HT if they would be interested.

Nothing came back, just for a heads up...

Thats a cool project....what did you do it for?

Yea I know hot toys isn't known for its response to emails. Fortunately I don't need to go the normal route of asking. I have a relationship with several hot toys employees.

They should release book that provide picture/information for every Hot Toys release. Like this

mdw68844_1.jpg

Its neat book, I have one. Its provide info of every gundam kit release since they made it for 1st time. Including time of release, features on it. I will buy one if hot toys make like this

This thread isn't asking if hot toys should make the book. I am asking if I made it would there be a market.

As for your example of a gundam book..that's pretty close to what I am proposing. But if it included every hot toys release like that, one per page, the book will be 500 pages thick and cost a LOT of money.

And I am also wanting to include things other then just a visual checklist. Behind the scenes images of sculpting and painting, production photos (how the figures look on parts trees, ect) interviews, stuff like that.

Thats a cool project....what did you do it for?

Yea I know hot toys isn't known for its response to emails. Fortunately I don't need to go the normal route of asking. I have a relationship with several hot toys employees.

Professional training for my job. The program was Dassault Systems Solidworks 2012 Edition.
That was like an exam and at first I funny and all, like: "I´m doing a terminator." :lol
But then I thought: "WTH, I could try a part."
After that I started, when I got to the thumb I figured that I wanted it to move also.
Put it on a ball joint, finished. But the calculations for moving it realistically were too much for programm.
Nevertheless...got an A+, but recommendations that I should change my profession.
Easier said than done.

Ok, THAT´S a winner, man. :hi5:
Think you could tell´em about my piece too?
Still got all the files, it could be rapid prototyped instantly...

Um, I could. But not to sound mean, they have access to the stan Winston (now legacy effects) 3d files from the movies so I do not think it's anything they would really be able to use.

But that's a very cool project. 3d design is something I struggle with.

Um, I could. But not to sound mean, they have access to the stan Winston (now legacy effects) 3d files from the movies so I do not think it's anything they would really be able to use.

But that's a very cool project. 3d design is something I struggle with.

Yeah, sure. Why would they be doing the endo´s otherwise.
But one could try. Fully movable, posable hand would be something.
And outsourced, in that sense, not even their cost.
:lol

Thanks, man.
It´s my daily routine. That´s what I get paid for every month...

I would definitely be interested in one of these. I would, however, not try to make one book with every HT release. I'd make them studio-specific, and for me I would primarily be interested in a Marvel one in hardcover, with glossy, full-color photos that really show off the figures. I think you might reduce sales as you approach $100, so if possible I'd try to keep it at $75 or less.

It's a great idea!

Good advice Scott thank you!
Thank you, friend. We should be applauding anyone who gives consideration to filling a market niche in an entrepreneurial way. Please keep us posted on your thoughts; I'm sure you can count on this community to provide you with plenty of market research.

hey motu. new member all the way from malaysia here.

i do love "art of" books. i even own most of the mcu's version of it.
so if you are going to head to somewhere like scott's suggestions, i would be really interested in buying 1.

I like the whole idea of having this art book broken into volumes like some previous members have suggested. Maybe even editions as Hot Toys does more and more figures.

If done well, these in itself could become collectibles.

I for one wouldn't mind contributing final product photos.

Great idea...

I'm down for:
Hot Toys: The History of the Movie Masterpiece Series 1-300 or a 2 volumes option Vol. I 1-150 and Vol. II 151-300 the latter option being more in-depth...

I like Bullets idea 1-150 then 151-300 would be the best approach for this =D i hope they can make this into reality

Back