Inflames & Headplay :Metal Boss - BDU Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posts discussing where to buy this figure have been and will be deleted.

Seriously!?!? What a joke considering, more than half of the figures out there are unlicensed. I'm getting real tired of all this PC crap, especially when people themselves don't even follow suit.

Seriously!?!? What a joke considering, more than half of the figures out there are unlicensed. I'm getting real tired of all this PC crap, especially when people themselves don't even follow suit.

It is because this board is affiliated with Sideshow (obviously), and HT is in turn a partner of Sideshow.

As HT owns the MGS license, the board cannot condone discussion of where to buy this, out of respect for the relationship with HT.

It is because this board is affiliated with Sideshow (obviously), and HT is in turn a partner of Sideshow.

As HT owns the MGS license, the board cannot condone discussion of where to buy this, out of respect for the relationship with HT.

But still though..... C'mon guys! Aint that the pot calling the kettle black? What Inflames will make, will only be a drop in the bucket for both Sideshow and Hot Toys.
Oh well, I guess thats the way politics are played. In my actual opinion, I only think this Inflames Metal Boss buzz will only help the Hot Toys versions sell even better. Sounds strange, but that's how the world works these days.

If this was the case, then why was Hot Toys unable to produce Aliens marines with reasonable likenesses? Same for the first Arnold Terminator? What about Kane from Alien? Actor likenesses have to be approved by actors before figures can be made, unless the contract they signed for merchandising allows for the use of their likeness. In the Matrix case, I suspect Keanu signed away likeness claims, seeing as how toys and video games were made from that franchise. But whether that was the case or wasn't, the movie studio (and Keanu) has a right to make money off of his likeness when portrayed as a character from that film.

Here's an example of a lawsuit regarding Arnold and a bobblehead figure:

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/18/national/18arnold.html

The Matrix figure exhibits precisely the same problems that this new Metal Gear figure does.

HT may be able to get away with the nude bodies because they don't obviously represent versions of that actor or actress from film or TV show X. But if they're gonna go after another company in the way they went after Headplay, then that smells of hypocrisy in this sense, as well, since HT is skirting the payment of rights to actors by sticking their heads on nude bodies.

Small time customizers usually act with impunity because they have such a small, niche market that it doesn't affect anything in the grand scheme of things. That's why the mass produced component of this figure distinguishes it from, say, a customizer making 10 Snake figures.

Well, thanks for pointing that out. I was basically going on "word of mouth" knowledge that someone else had mentioned in the customs forum a while ago :lol. But, I don't believe that it's fair to liken the Matrix and the "Metal Boss" figures in the same way, or accuse Hot Toys of being hypocritical in this. Like you said, Keanu Reeves had most likely signed off his likeness rights for free use. However, in the case with the "Metal Boss" figure, Yoji Shinkawa and Konami did not give their consent for that character to be used commercially without their approval. The fact remains, that Hot Toys had to pay a licensing fee, and get the permission to make Metal Gear Solid figures, while Headplay simply ignored that process and went full-steam to mass produce his own bootleg Snake under another name (Metal Boss).

If this was the case, then why was Hot Toys unable to produce Aliens marines with reasonable likenesses? Same for the first Arnold Terminator? What about Kane from Alien? Actor likenesses have to be approved by actors before figures can be made, unless the contract they signed for merchandising allows for the use of their likeness.

I believe that has more to do with Hot Toys not being as skilled back then as they are today. Even their first Christian Bale head-sculpt for the OC TDK Batman figure from 2008, looks pretty sub-par to the latest Bale head-sculpt, from the Toy Fair exclusive Batman figure that was released this year.

Plus, weren't those figures that you mentioned officially licensed, and distributed by SSC? :dunno

Last edited:
But still though..... C'mon guys! Aint that the pot calling the kettle black? What Inflames will make, will only be a drop in the bucket for both Sideshow and Hot Toys.
Oh well, I guess thats the way politics are played. In my actual opinion, I only think this Inflames Metal Boss buzz will only help the Hot Toys versions sell even better. Sounds strange, but that's how the world works these days.

We really don't know that. Like Karamazov pointed out, Inflames/head play will be able to keep most of their profit, because they wouldn't have to consider such things as licensing fees, and high marketing and administrative costs. Compared to the price of the "Metal Boss" figures, which range anywhere from $140-180, Hot Toys will be making a lot less for each figure that they sell (if their figure is priced in a similar range). It also depends on how popular the "Metal Boss" figure is from now until Hot Toys releases their own MGS figure.

Also, we don't know how many of these figures head play is actually putting out in the market. From what I see, it looks like quite a lot, and even some reputable comic book stores have placed the "Metal Boss" figure up for pre-order on their respected sites (shame on them).

Last edited:
So what about all of the people in the Customs section selling home made Snake figures. Now that HTs has the license that wont be allowed?

The rules here are getting rather stupid

So what about all of the people in the Customs section selling home made Snake figures. Now that HTs has the license that wont be allowed?

The rules here are getting rather stupid

Indeed. This is ridiculous. This forum is really just turning into Hot Toys, Hot Toys, and more Hot Toys.

Is there some secret forum in which there are multiple custom Solid Snake figures being sold?? Because I see none. There is one custom head sculpt being offered.

Or are you just speaking hypothetically??

If anybody has some kind of problem with this figure.......SiMPLY DONT BUY IT!!!
I'm getting sick of all this moral crap! I mean, are any of these guys paying your bills? No, I thought not. Do you download music illegally? Probably so! Get off your high horses, and go buy Hot Toys version when they FINALLY come out and leave the people that want this figure alone. Sure I'll probably check out the HoToys version when it FINALLY comes out, but in the meantime, this is the best Metal Gear figure I've seen in a long time, and I rather have a Metal Gear figure that I can currently enjoy, rather on speculating on a future release from Hot Toys. Nobody had a problem with Art figures making that Punisher (like somebody mentioned above). Let it go already. The sun will still come up tomorrow, time will not stop, and the world will still rotate, even with this almighty evil non licensed figure!!!
Oh, and just to piss whoever off. I am planning on getting this figure. So there! I hope your feelings are crushed! For the real fans, it's a win win.
One last thing. If Hot Toys never announced any license for this line, you know that all of you would have been on the same train as us that plan on getting it. If your morals are so in the way, you might as well give up the hobby, flat out!

If anybody has some kind of problem with this figure.......SiMPLY DONT BUY IT!!!
I'm getting sick of all this moral crap! I mean, are any of these guys paying your bills? No, I thought not. Do you download music illegally? Probably so! Get off your high horses, and go buy Hot Toys version when they FINALLY come out and leave the people that want this figure alone. Sure I'll probably check out the HoToys version when it FINALLY comes out, but in the meantime, this is the best Metal Gear figure I've seen in a long time, and I rather have a Metal Gear figure that I can currently enjoy, rather on speculating on a future release from Hot Toys. Nobody had a problem with Art figures making that Punisher (like somebody mentioned above). Let it go already. The sun will still come up tomorrow, time will not stop, and the world will still rotate, even with this almighty evil non licensed figure!!!
Oh, and just to piss whoever off. I am planning on getting this figure. So there! I hope your feelings are crushed! For the real fans, it's a win win.
One last thing. If Hot Toys never announced any license for this line, you know that all of you would have been on the same train as us that plan on getting it. If your morals are so in the way, you might as well give up the hobby, flat out!

Agree!!! :hi5: My Metal boss will be arriving next week!! :yess:

Is there some secret forum in which there are multiple custom Solid Snake figures being sold?? Because I see none. There is one custom head sculpt being offered.

Elvis1978 and another member (i only remember his real name not his log in) have both offered Metal Gear Figures multiple times, one was even a Peace Walker version.

Elvis1978 and another member (i only remember his real name not his log in) have both offered Metal Gear Figures multiple times, one was even a Peace Walker version.

We best inform the internet police immediately.

I didn't offered anything.
I build a few metal gear figure but didn't offered anything for sale :dunno
I did bought the head Mr Lerma sculpted though :wave

This forum is really just turning into Hot Toys, Hot Toys, and more Hot Toys.
I've been saying this for a long time.

There have been several custom figures and head sculpts on the boards. Most were before the Hot Toys announcement.

There have been several custom figures and head sculpts on the boards. Most were before the Hot Toys announcement.

Nothing wrong with making your own custom figure. And if you want to commission a sculptor to make you a headsculpt, that's fine, that's a private transaction between two people. Surely, Hasbro is not going to go after Adam Hughes for all the Baroness sketches he has sold over the years.

There's no customizer out there selling multiple Snake figures. Search the customs forum yourself.

I didn't offered anything.
I build a few metal gear figure but didn't offered anything for sale :dunno
I did bought the head Mr Lerma sculpted though :wave

Yeah, Seb!!! Thank you, your Metal Gear bashes are awesome! :clap

Back