Inflames & Headplay :Metal Boss - BDU Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with making your own custom figure. And if you want to commission a sculptor to make you a headsculpt, that's fine, that's a private transaction between two people. Surely, Hasbro is not going to go after Adam Hughes for all the Baroness sketches he has sold over the years.

There's no customizer out there selling multiple Snake figures. Search the customs forum yourself.

Currently no there is not but it has happened in the past and was never a big deal till now.

Should Creg customs get in trouble for making multiple Bale from Batman head and selling those off? Hot Toys has that license too.

I didn't offered anything.
I build a few metal gear figure but didn't offered anything for sale :dunno
I did bought the head Mr Lerma sculpted though :wave

oops sorry I thought you did

Currently no there is not but it has happened in the past and was never a big deal till now.

Should Creg customs get in trouble for making multiple Bale from Batman head and selling those off? Hot Toys has that license too.

It wasn't a big deal because Hot Toys didn't drop the hammer until now. Every once in a while a licensor comes through and puts a stop to bootlegs and customs, and it's usually not a big deal. The Replicant Hunter that came out years ago. . . that started off as an official license, but the guys that did it couldn't get Harrison Ford to sign off, so they released it as a bootleg. Warner Bros tried to stop it, but couldn't. Warner Bros also put a stop to Triad's 'Theodore' figure. That wasn't a big deal, but someone started a thread on why it was so hard to find and well. . . I also heard that Sideshow had a hand in the Mola Ram project being shelved.

This isn't a new phenomenon.

I don't think Greg or Adam should get in trouble, but what they do comes with the risk of facing legal action, and if they're told to stop, they should, Which is why I single out Metal Boss, Konami/Hot Toys told them to stop, InFlames/Headplay said they would, but then went back on their word and made it anyway. I think that's lame. And if InFlames/Headplay are using bootlegs as a way to start getting official licenses, which is highly unlikely, they're going about it in a completely bass-ackwards fashion.

It wasn't a big deal because Hot Toys didn't drop the hammer until now. Every once in a while a licensor comes through and puts a stop to bootlegs and customs, and it's usually not a big deal. The Replicant Hunter that came out years ago. . . that started off as an official license, but the guys that did it couldn't get Harrison Ford to sign off, so they released it as a bootleg. Warner Bros tried to stop it, but couldn't. Warner Bros also put a stop to Triad's 'Theodore' figure. That wasn't a big deal, but someone started a thread on why it was so hard to find and well. . . I also heard that Sideshow had a hand in the Mola Ram project being shelved.

This isn't a new phenomenon.

I don't think Greg or Adam should get in trouble, but what they do comes with the risk of facing legal action, and if they're told to stop, they should, Which is why I single out Metal Boss, Konami/Hot Toys told them to stop, InFlames/Headplay said they would, but then went back on their word and made it anyway. I think that's lame. And if InFlames/Headplay are using bootlegs as a way to start getting official licenses, which is highly unlikely, they're going about it in a completely bass-ackwards fashion.

That's exactly the point. Also, I think people in this thread are confusing the notion of a what a custom creator is, versus a mass producer of bootleg materials. Individuals who produce commissioned customs on a small scale (like on this forum) should be admired for what they do. They're not only in this hobby to make money, but also to share their passion and talent with the rest of the world.

Headplay was like a custom creator at one point. But now, it just seems as if he's gone into the full swing of bootlegging against the wishes of a publisher and an official license holder (Konami and Hot Toys). There are even photos around the net of headplay's line of workers in an apparent sweat shop, who are producing these figures by the dozens and boxing them for sale.

I really don't think the sale of these will effect Hot Toys in any way. Maybe for those with less money in china, but HT will sell out imo.

I think at least this will show HT to make great extras like a card-bored box haha, they should be standard with every Snake

anyhoo heres pics of the box

file.php
file.php

i like how they even ripped the art lolage. hopefully HT make a box with artwork too

That's exactly the point. Also, I think people in this thread are confusing the notion of a what a custom creator is, versus a mass producer of bootleg materials. Individuals who produce commissioned customs on a small scale (like on this forum) should be admired for what they do. They're not only in this hobby to make money, but also to share their passion and talent with the rest of the world.

Headplay was like a custom creator at one point. But now, it just seems as if he's gone into the full swing of bootlegging against the wishes of a publisher and an official license holder (Konami and Hot Toys). There are even photos around the net of headplay's line of workers in an apparent sweat shop, who are producing these figures by the dozens and boxing them for sale.

I really hope this was a joke. This post is ridiculous. The only difference between the basic customs and this figure is number of releases, or sense of scale. I love how you paint the custom creators as being these amazing people too. The guys behind this figure are no better or no worse. Either way they are making money off of licenses they have no rights to. There is absolutely nothing admirable about it either way.

Not fulfilling the requests of Konami and Hot Toys is rude, but can you blame them? Here's just another group of guys making customs and yet they get singled out for it and after they already went through the trouble of doing the sculpts and everything. I'm not saying these guys are the victims, but the point is that morality or goodness or whatever have absolutely nothing to do with this and should not be brought up. This is no different than any other custom. It is always a custom unless the company is legit, as silly as that actually is.

And if anything it just puts Hot Toys back up as massive ___holes. They have no problem continuing to step on any possible competition, thus actually hurting us consumers, and yet they still feel no need to inform their loyal fan base of their plans. I remember how excited I was when they announced the license, but it's really hard to care about a company that won't even keep you up to date. They refuse to mention MGS and yet they throw out these random figures like the guy from Predators and the new Joker. It's obvious to put complete focus on the money makers and have no problem leaving other fans in the dust.

So while these guys are doing some crazy illegal stuff, at least they ____ing fulfill the fan desires. We saw the promotional shots and wanted it. People were sad when it was canned and yet the guys come back only to be ridiculed? Amazing.

No discussion of price or where to buy is allowed - this has been made clear a number of times. Offending posts will be deleted by the appropriate mods. Please adhere to these guidelines thanks

Definitely not going to break board rules by posting price or where to buy it... and those rules are just retarded... but I WILL Say I got it yesterday cant wait to open it. PROUD AS HELL to own it and am going to post lots of great pictures supporting the product, encouraging others to purchase it because they shouldn't have to really look to hard to do so...

Definitely not going to break board rules by posting price or where to buy it... and those rules are just retarded... but I WILL Say I got it yesterday cant wait to open it. PROUD AS HELL to own it and am going to post lots of great pictures supporting the product, encouraging others to purchase it because they shouldn't have to really look to hard to do so...

Be sure the receipt showing where you got it and how much it was is somewhere in the background of those pics. :wink1:

No discussion of price or where to buy is allowed - this has been made clear a number of times. Offending posts will be deleted by the appropriate mods. Please adhere to these guidelines thanks

Does this rule only apply to this particular figure or does it apply to all unlicensed products that have their own threads on this board?

Does this rule only apply to this particular figure or does it apply to all unlicensed products that have their own threads on this board?

Yea, so does that mean no more Joker or Bruce Wayne sculpts since HT has the rights to those. :lol

Only applies here since HT has specifically asked this company to stop producing this product.

They have not done so with any of the other customs available for sale on these boards such as Jokers or Bales etc etc, therefore the rule doesn't apply to those.

Dave has given the mods these rules so just working with what I got

Only applies here since HT has specifically asked this company to stop producing this product.

They have not done so with any of the other customs available for sale on these boards such as Jokers or Bales etc etc, therefore the rule doesn't apply to those.

Dave has given the mods these rules so just working with what I got

fair enough, thanks for the clarification!

^^Also, there's a clear distinction between small run custom heads made by fellow boardies and mass produced figures with lawsuits involved. But there are shades of gray here, for sure.

Come to think of it, isn't the character of Snake a bit of a rip-off himself? Or is it an homage? :)
Good point :lol He did seem to be strongly inspired by Snake Plisskin (look no further than his alter ego's name in MGS 2), and the old box art for the NES version ripped a shot of Michael Biehn as Kyle Reese.

If anybody has some kind of problem with this figure.......SiMPLY DONT BUY IT!!!
I'm getting sick of all this moral crap!
:lol Look, there is often a gray area where these things fall. The knock-off Transformers raise this issue, customs by guys like BobbyC and Rainman raise this issue, as do figures like this. Personally, I'm willing to buy unlicensed figures if it passes the smell test to me, but if I think that a company is really getting hosed then I probably won't. It's like the whole thing with Napster from years ago. It's easy to ridicule and criticize Lars Ulrich for doing what he did. But Metallica made and owned that music, and have a right to benefit from profits made off of that music, even if they are billionaires. If you were in their situation, you would feel the same. Sometimes rights and principles outweigh our own shallow desire for getting something, particularly for getting something cheaper than we could elsewhere. As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that intellectual property rights are really important, and help to promote creativity and art. Take that away, and you take away a key incentive for creative people to do creative things.

But if you "don't have 'morals' and don't give a ____ about anyone that does," as seems to be the case in your post, then good on you. I don't approach any of this kind of thing with a black and white, "this is absolutely right and this is absolutely wrong and if you disagree then you're an _______" mindset, but there are some things I think are inappropriate and won't buy (such as recast Sideshow statues), and others that I think are acceptable and will (such as the "Screaming Jack" figure and HD versions of the original Star Wars movies--neither of which has a snowball's chance of being released legitimately). The legal system can tell you what is legally acceptable and what is not. Dave says what is allowable on the forums or what isn't, but each person has to make their own mind up as to what is OK and what isn't in their own behavior. And as I said in the Transformers thread awhile back, I think it's important that we bring these issues up and have these conversations, because the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" mentality just isn't gonna cut it for me, as these issues are legitimately important IMO, and warrant some thoughtfulness on our part.

file.php

i like how they even ripped the art lolage. hopefully HT make a box with artwork too
They even have a knock-off Hot Toys logo there with the skull on fire :lol

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that intellectual property rights are really important, and help to promote creativity and art. Take that away, and you take away a key incentive for creative people to do creative things. . .

. . . I think it's important that we bring these issues up and have these conversations, because the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" mentality just isn't gonna cut it for me, as these issues are legitimately important IMO, and warrant some thoughtfulness on our part.

:goodpost:

Exactly what I've been trying to say the whole time. Well, your whole post is what I've been trying to explain, but for the sake of brevity, I quoted my favorite parts.

Really so another member of this board cannot privetly sell them either?

^^Also, there's a clear distinction between small run custom heads made by fellow boardies and mass produced figures with lawsuits involved. But there are shades of gray here, for sure.

Good point :lol He did seem to be strongly inspired by Snake Plisskin (look no further than his alter ego's name in MGS 2), and the old box art for the NES version ripped a shot of Michael Biehn as Kyle Reese.

:lol Look, there is often a gray area where these things fall. The knock-off Transformers raise this issue, customs by guys like BobbyC and Rainman raise this issue, as do figures like this. Personally, I'm willing to buy unlicensed figures if it passes the smell test to me, but if I think that a company is really getting hosed then I probably won't. It's like the whole thing with Napster from years ago. It's easy to ridicule and criticize Lars Ulrich for doing what he did. But Metallica made and owned that music, and have a right to benefit from profits made off of that music, even if they are billionaires. If you were in their situation, you would feel the same. Sometimes rights and principles outweigh our own shallow desire for getting something, particularly for getting something cheaper than we could elsewhere. As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that intellectual property rights are really important, and help to promote creativity and art. Take that away, and you take away a key incentive for creative people to do creative things.

But if you "don't have 'morals' and don't give a ____ about anyone that does," as seems to be the case in your post, then good on you. I don't approach any of this kind of thing with a black and white, "this is absolutely right and this is absolutely wrong and if you disagree then you're an _______" mindset, but there are some things I think are inappropriate and won't buy (such as recast Sideshow statues), and others that I think are acceptable and will (such as the "Screaming Jack" figure and HD versions of the original Star Wars movies--neither of which has a snowball's chance of being released legitimately). The legal system can tell you what is legally acceptable and what is not. Dave says what is allowable on the forums or what isn't, but each person has to make their own mind up as to what is OK and what isn't in their own behavior. And as I said in the Transformers thread awhile back, I think it's important that we bring these issues up and have these conversations, because the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" mentality just isn't gonna cut it for me, as these issues are legitimately important IMO, and warrant some thoughtfulness on our part.

They even have a knock-off Hot Toys logo there with the skull on fire :lol

I just love how you point out that I have a black and white mindset when I clearly state, "if you don't like it, simply don't buy it". To me that seems to let just about anybody choose to do what they want. I fully understand that there's an opinion in everybody, and I am saying that they have a chance to exercise that opinion. "you don't like it, simply don't buy it".
Wow, it seems like you don't want my opinion by pointing useless stuff out like this out. But then again, it's just your opinion.......
Oh, by the way, I think Hot Toys could care less about you being thoughtful. I think all they care about is you making them richer. But then again, that's my opinion............

Back