Indy KOTCS DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, i've got a lot of annoying ^^^^ from a bunch of Blu Ray owners. Nothing wrong with either format.

Sorry, i've got a lot of annoying ^^^^ from a bunch of Blu Ray owners. Nothing wrong with either format.

DVD's still :rock:rock:rock

Now those HD-DVD owners who still back that format, that's a different story.:monkey3
(hehe, just kidding)

Although I do wish Blu-ray prices were at HD-DVD levels. I'd love some BR for $9.99 or less.

Once you go HD, you don't go back. I'm still in awe at how amazing a 40 year old movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey looks in HD.

I have nothing against DVDs. I was an early adaptor about 10 years ago and have an enormous collection. Now that I've moved into the HD realm, I've stopped buying DVDs because I'm done buying multiple copies of the same movie. Even if it does come with something cool like the Crystal Skull.

Do Blu-Ray players enhance standard DVD's? I've heard they do. I'd like to get a BR player if that's the case, and then just continue my collection with BR discs from that point.

As for KOTCS, I'll get it from a completionist POV. I hated it, but I'm still interested in the bonus material for some reason. I'd like to see if anyone comments on the fan reaction. Maybe Ford will say the same thing he said about Blade Runner: "^^^^^k it, it's only a movie" :D

Having just bought a Panasonic Plasma and only watching upconverted DVD's at 720p on this set, I must say I don't see any real reason to drop $500 on a Blu-Ray player and Blu-Ray versions of my favorite movies. DVD's look outstanding on this set, especially from 10 or 12 feet, where they honestly look like Blu-Ray. So, until Blu-Ray's hit the $5 Wal-Mart bin or somewhere around that neighborhood and players can be had for $100-$150, I'll probably stick with DVD. Of course, there will likely be some deals this holiday season and players have come down to $250, even for the new Sony, so I may pick one up later this year or next, but for right now, DVD is more than fine for me. Even the trailer for KOTCS on the other Indiana Jones DVD's looked incredible. Can't wait for tomorrow. :D

Well, when you're doing the talkshow circuit to promote it, you kinda have to say you like it, don't you? :monkey3

Yeah, just like he'll have to say he liked it for the DVD. :lol

DVD is still an awesome format but BR IMO is a bit better. I can't go back and rebuy all the stuff I have on DVD I'd be insane to do that but like many I will rebuy my top faves. You can't lose with either format really.

i have a blu ray player and only a couple of discs at this time. i'm for one don't care for all the hype around blu -ray's superior quality. hell if i can tell the difference between a car and a truck, or man and woman on the screen it's clear enough for me.:duh
the only reason i got a blu-ray player is that they are getting cheaper, and the blu-ray giftbox sets that seem to only available in canada for come reason. the only BR movies i'm looking to get a the sci-fi action related ones like IM, transformers, TDK etc. and yeah indians latest, because of the gift box again.

I've spent countless hours at Best Buy watching the hi-def TV's and all the new "superior" technology, trying to research and also to justify going that route. Sure, I see a difference in picture quality. But it's not what it's hyped to be IMHO and not so superior that I'm ready to lay out thousands of dollars to upgrade. Actually, most hi-def sets look kinda blurry to me unless I'm about 8 to ten feet away, minimum. I'm also the kind of person who never turns off the TV. I hear that will cut a plasma screen's life in half, and their lifespan isn't that great to start with from what I'm told. Hell, my buddy argues that I don't see the colossal quality difference because he says the floor models at Best Buy are starting to fade. Geez. A $2000.00 TV that starts to go South just from 6 months or so as a floor model? Not really my thing. The crappy thing is, it seems damn near impossible to find ANY TV in stores these days that isn't an over-priced, over-hyped plasma screen. No regular sets, not even the short-lived flat screens. It's like everyone is now expected to shell out thousands for a TV. For my budget, I would have to get a really small set. Does anyone else feel like our "modern" technology is pushing back into the 50's ? I really have no interest of the $800.00 equivalent of a 13" b&w set.

Last edited:
I've spent countless hours at Best Buy watching the hi-def TV's and all the new "superior" technology, trying to research and also to justify going that route. Sure, I see a difference in picture quality. But it's not what it's hyped to be IMHO and not so superior that I'm ready to lay out thousands of dollars to upgrade. Actually, most hi-def sets look kinda blurry to me unless I'm about 8 to ten feet away, minimum. I'm also the kind of person who never turns off the TV. I hear that will cut a plasma screen's life in half, and their lifespan isn't that great to start with from what I'm told. Hell, my buddy argues that I don't see the colossal quality difference because he says the floor models at Best Buy are starting to fade. Geez. A $2000.00 TV that starts to go South just from 6 months or so as a floor model? Not really my thing. The crappy thing is, it seems damn near impossible to find ANY TV in stores these days that isn't an over-priced, over-hyped plasma screen. No regular sets, not even the short-lived flat screens. It's like everyone is now expected to shell out thousands for a TV. For my budget, I would have to get a really small set. Does anyone else feel like our "modern" technology is pushing back into the 50's ? I really have no interest of the $800.00 equivalent of a 13" b&w set.

Your first mistake was going to Best Buy to experience the difference in the technology. :lecture Those dolts don't know how to properly set-up and calibrate the HT experience at all. Also, most stores set the contrast on sets far too high due to the brightness in the the store as well as competing sets. This throws the image quality way off (and also harms the set, because it can cause burn-in).

If you want to REALLY witness the difference and what HD is all about I recommend going to someone's house who has a real HT properly set up. I've shown people DVDs (and not just any crappy DVDs, mind you... reference ones like ROTS) and then put in the BATMAN BEGINS Blu-ray and they are blown away every time.

I really can't wait to see this again. I may have to pick it up at midnight.

And yes, you couldn't be more right, Irish. The display setups are TERRIBLE. I was walking through Sam's the other day. Awful, to say the least.

Your first mistake was going to Best Buy to experience the difference in the technology. :lecture Those dolts don't know how to properly set-up and calibrate the HT experience at all.

I was at Costco and they had the new Sleeping Beauty disc playing on a widescreen plasma HDTV, but the connected DVD player was set to 480p and a 4x3 screen. I looked for the remote to make a few changes and exponentially increase the picture quality, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

:sick

I was at Costco and they had the new Sleeping Beauty disc playing on a widescreen plasma HDTV, but the connected DVD player was set to 480p and a 4x3 screen. I looked for the remote to make a few changes and exponentially increase the picture quality, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

:sick

Your post made me think about this conundrum...if an animated film was done in lower quality format and then updated to DVD and now is being updated to BluRay, how much more can it be updated short of rebuilding all the individual cells one-by-one to improve on clarity? I mean, part of the charm of older animation, is the graininess. That's why the original SW films look so much more, ahem, realistic, since they used models rather than super slick CG which looks clean even when it's dirty.

Your post made me think about this conundrum...if an animated film was done in lower quality format and then updated to DVD and now is being updated to BluRay, how much more can it be updated short of rebuilding all the individual cells one-by-one to improve on clarity? I mean, part of the charm of older animation, is the graininess. That's why the original SW films look so much more, ahem, realistic, since they used models rather than super slick CG which looks clean even when it's dirty.

Sleeping Beauty was not originally done in a "lower quality format"--it was filmed in 70mm Super Technirama. Seeing it back then would have been something like a trip to the IMAX today. It's been almost fifty years since audiences have been able to appreciate the quality of the animation and background painting like we can today on the Blu-ray, which comes from a new restoration from the 70mm Technicolor negatives. It's the best looking traditionally animated film I've ever seen on home video.

Once you go HD, you don't go back. I'm still in awe at how amazing a 40 year old movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey looks in HD.

I have nothing against DVDs. I was an early adaptor about 10 years ago and have an enormous collection. Now that I've moved into the HD realm, I've stopped buying DVDs because I'm done buying multiple copies of the same movie. Even if it does come with something cool like the Crystal Skull.

Same here. While I would LOVE to get the Skull set, I will have to just get the Blu Ray without any extra coolness. I'm just addicted I guess, and sooo tired of buying a film over and over again.

you also have to contend with one feed been split into any many as 50 tv's. so there has to be some amount of loss of signal, since it's split that many times, also depends on the length of cables that they use.

Back