Indiana Jones and the Raiders of... wait what?!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me the title revision is as inconsequential as adding Episode IV to Star Wars.

I think it was the "A New Hope" part that some people didn't appreciate. Even in 1977, there was some sense of a larger story with each film being an episode.

I went to the Indy marathon today, and really enjoyed it! All four movies looked great on the big screen. I have no complaints with the color or spoken lines or anything. It was great seeing all four Indy movies back up on the big screen again! Even KOTCS. I really enjoyed seeing the first three movies in a theater again since I saw them when they were originally released in 1981, 1984, and 1989.

Here is what I got. The first item is the larger "one-sheet" 27" x 40" poster. It combines the smiling Indy from Richard Amsel's 1982 ROTLA re-release poster with characters from all four movies around him painted by what looks to be Mark Raats.

DSC02208.jpg

DSC02210.jpg

It's a good poster, but I was honestly hoping for the Mark Raats Raiders art design on the smaller posters in the larger one-sheet size giveaway poster.

They did put out some of the smaller 11" x 17" Mark Raats Raiders art posters after the marathon was over. They have the Indy Blu-Ray ad sticker over Mark's signature on the lower right corner. I grabbed a handful of them, and ended up with six of them. No other people from the marathon even got one of them that I could see. I put it next to the other one I got on eBay with the IMAX circular sticker on it.

DSC02211.jpg

The last item I got was the AMC theater exclusive lanyard. Kinda cool with the Hovito indian fertility golden idol on one side...

DSC02215.jpg

and the movie titles and showtimes on the other side...

DSC02213.jpg

Here's the big cardboard display that was about 7' tall in the theater lobby with the same art as the big giveaway poster we all got.

DSC02193.jpg

I did wear my Indy fedora hat, and my black Indy TLC Drew Struzan advance poster art shirt. A few others had Indy fedoras on, and one guy went all the way with a full Indy outfit that was pretty cool, and screen-accurate. The theater was about half full for the marathon. Short Round in TOD and Indy and his Dad got lots of laughs. It was fun!

Last edited:
The lanyard is cool, but that poster is weak, IMO. At least they could have advertised on the poster that it's from the Indy marathon. I wonder if they'll ever make the other one for sale as a regular one sheet?

I agree. I don't like that they cut on Indy from the 1982 re-release poster , and put the supporting characters around him. I was really hoping that the larger giveaway poster would be the one with Mark Raats art on it. But I guess they consider that for the 30th anniversary poster for Raiders.

I went to the Indy marathon today, and really enjoyed it! All four movies looked great on the big screen. I have no complaints with the color or spoken lines or anything. It was great seeing all four Indy movies back up on the big screen again! Even KOTCS. I really enjoyed seeing the first three movies in a theater again since I saw them when they were originally released in 1981, 1984, and 1989.

I did wear my Indy fedora hat, and my black Indy TLC Drew Struzan advance poster art shirt. A few others had Indy fedoras on, and one guy went all the way with a full Indy outfit that was pretty cool, and screen-accurate. The theater was about half full for the marathon. Short Round in TOD and Indy and his Dad got lots of laughs. It was fun!

Great to hear that it was so much fun! Its a bummer that TOD was only offered at one time on one day as part of the marathon. Would have loved to have caught that one.

And didn't we all laugh when some guy sold a 27x40 Mark Raats IMAX poster for $200 a couple weeks back thinking that that's what would be given away for free with the marathon? I guess we should have jumped on that listing...

Yeah...really! I held off going after the large one-sheet by Mark Raats thinking the same thing! Then I get to the marathon, and it's the cut/pasted smiling Indy from Richard Amsel's 1982 poster over new art with supporting characters. I thought Mark Raats painted the cast, but after looking again at his website tonight he didn't. I wish it at least had the movie marathon title under "Indiana Jones" on it. But it didn't. I was happy to get 6 of the Mark Raats smaller 11 x 17 inch posters.

Yeah, it was great seeing TOD again on the big screen. Also seeing TLC too since I hadn't seen them in a theater since 1984 for TOD, and 1989 for TLC.

Of course seeing Raiders again in what was for me, perfect picture and sound on the big screen was the real highlight! :yess:

Last edited:
Glad I got those smaller ones. Now I don't feel so bad missing the marathon. I really wanted that poster more then anything.

Sure, i'd be nice to see TOD and TLC, but i'll be able to do that with the Blu Ray.

Raiders was top priority for the theater IMO.

I was actually surprised at just how much better TOD and TLC both are on the big screen with an audience (it'd been 23-28 years since I'd experienced them that way, after all. And I was a kid then).

TLC is no longer tied with KOTCS as the weakest of the series for me. I have a rekindled appreciation for it now. It's still below TOD and of course not even a pimple on the ass of RAIDERS.

The marathon was awesome and totally worth it. The theater was at least 3/4 full the entire time. So glad I went.

I was actually surprised at just how much better TOD and TLC both are on the big screen with an audience (it'd been 23-28 years since I'd experienced them that way, after all. And I was a kid then).

TLC is no longer tied with KOTCS as the weakest of the series for me. I have a rekindled appreciation for it now. It's still below TOD and of course not even a pimple on the ass of RAIDERS.

The marathon was awesome and totally worth it. The theater was at least 3/4 full the entire time. So glad I went.

I really wish they would have done this in my area. I would have loved to see both of these on screen.

That's nice to hear, its been as long for me and I do forget the "experience" of seeing it with an audience.

Raiders got the most cheers, clapping for opening and closing credits, cheering for Indy stepping out of the shadows the first time, the flying wing fight, the ark opening etc, Belloq eating the fly and Indy getting slammed in the face with the mirror got the biggest laughs.

Temple was pretty quiet, although I love the opening, it's very James Bond like. Some chuckles for the flirting in the bedrooms and Shorty/Indy arguing over the card game, cheering when he cut the rope bridge.

Crusade got the most laughter, everytime Connery was on screen people got a laugh. I don't care how many times you've seen it, when your with a full theatre of people who love these movies it's like the first time all over again. Clapped for him stepping out of the shadows the first time too.

Its really cool to watch them all in a row and see the way things link up especially that notion that Henry had his sort of iconic stepping out of the shadows moment like Indy did in Raiders, just after having bashed his son in the head. :lol His line to Elsa in the catacombs was also a big laugh "What's this one?" "The Ark of the Covenant." "You sure?" "Pretty sure."

We had a pretty full theatre, 85 percent full I'd say. Most everyone stuck around for the first 3, maybe 4-5 people out of 120 or so stuck around for Crystal Skull. :lol

They were even giving out a free Blu-Ray collection in a raffle after KotCS as well as offering free refills on any size popcorn and soda and it wasn't enough to get anyone to stay. Indy and his dad riding off into the sunset is just too perfect to ruin immediately 20 minutes later.

We had a pretty full theatre, 85 percent full I'd say. Most everyone stuck around for the first 3, maybe 4-5 people out of 120 or so stuck around for Crystal Skull. :lol

They were even giving out a free Blu-Ray collection in a raffle after KotCS as well as offering free refills on any size popcorn and soda and it wasn't enough to get anyone to stay. Indy and his dad riding off into the sunset is just too perfect to ruin immediately 20 minutes later.

That's hilarious! :rotfl

But yeah, **** that, you're last sentence is 100% truth.

maybe 4-5 people out of 120 or so stuck around for Crystal Skull. :lol

:lol and they said KOTCS was a success.

This supports a point made often in discussing the "success" of a films today. Many times a film is clearly a failure but will still do good boxoffice. Try to argue that point in certain threads with certain members and all they do is throw up the boxoffice results to prove why the film is good. All it really proves is that the previous films (or the subject matter or filmmakers) was so good it got many people in to see the next one. "Skull" performed well because of its predecessors, not because of its own merits. The above quote demonstrates that quite well.

Now who dares me to go to the TDKR thread with this propostition? :lol

I'll give KOTCS a little credit. I would have stayed up to the point when Indy and Mutt take off to South America. Then I would have left. :lol The movie is watchable up to that point.

Back