Indiana Jones and the Raiders of... wait what?!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubs&Doggers

Super Freak
Reaction score
anyone else have a problem with the renaming of this film. i know george lucas is behind this and there is nothing to be done but still. it is a SS film and he has gone on record that he wont be "changing" any more of his films. (which is BS by the way if you bought the jaws blu ray) i guess raiders isnt his film after all is it? or should i say "indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark" isnt his film!

come on!!!?! :panic::slap

On the DVD release, the DVD case had the new name, but the movie had the original name. Hopefully the BD turns out the same.

The title has not changed on the film itself and that's all that really matters. It's still the same movie.

/Thread

Yes this very true! The movie itself is still 100% the same awesomeness it was when it was released. And I know they changed the title a while back, it's basically a minor issue. But it's just... Irritating. Thank goodness I have a couple originally posters with the original tittle.

The title was changed for a widescreen VHS release back in 1999. I think it was done because also released the Young Indiana Jones stuff and on the side of the box it said chapter #. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

My DVD of Raiders has "Indiana Jones and..." on the box. The film itself has the normal title card.

They did do some digital work for the DVD like erasing the glass reflections between Ford's face and the cobra. Stuff only the most diehard fan would catch. Hopefully the Blu follows this ethic rather than the ever changing Star Wars.

Speaking of Young Indiana Jones where the hell is the DVD or Blu versions?

This is one of the few changes Lucas has made that actually makes sense.

Every single Indiana Jones adventure in every medium is 'Indiana Jones and the....'. It makes everything consistent.

This is one of the few changes Lucas has made that actually makes sense.

Every single Indiana Jones adventure in every medium is 'Indiana Jones and the....'. It makes everything consistent.

Everything else has "Indiana Jones and..."

Making everything consistent for marketing and merchandising purposes has no bearing whatsoever on the one stand-out film in this series which was nominated for nine Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director. If you view professional sources - imdb, AFI etc. - that film is still called "Raiders of the Lost Ark." It is only in consumer and licensing sources where the marketing title is used:

"The Adventures of Indiana Jones - Episode I - The Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Making everything consistent for marketing and merchandising purposes has no bearing whatsoever on the one stand-out film in this series which was nominated for nine Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director. If you view professional sources - imdb, AFI etc. - that film is still called "Raiders of the Lost Ark." It is only in consumer and licensing sources where the marketing title is used:

I couldn't agree more!!! Total BS! But technically Raiders is Ep 2 no? And if you put them on your self do you put them in this order... ToD, RoLA, LC??? I say.... NO. But to each their own.

Last edited:
hasn't this film always been called indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark? I thought the only time it was Raiders of the lost ark was when it was first released in theaters. Hasn't every video release had Indiana Jones in the title? I know if you said Raiders of the lost ark most people would ask what movie that is but if you say Indiana Jones they know what you're talking about.

It was nominated for Oscars!? This changes everything! Someone remind Lucas quick so he can stop these shenanigans! *shakes first at marketing and licensing* Damn them!

Its not like the Cairo swordsman shoots first now.
I'm not even sure what your point is. So in your heart of hearts you still know its really still only called Raiders because of the 'professional source' IMDB? ...okay then, super....

Last edited:
hasn't this film always been called indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark? I thought the only time it was Raiders of the lost ark was when it was first released in theaters. Hasn't every video release had Indiana Jones in the title? I know if you said Raiders of the lost ark most people would ask what movie that is but if you say Indiana Jones they know what you're talking about.

The title was altered in 1999 when Lucasfilm bundled all three existing Indy theatrical films with a short-lived ABC television series from the early 1990's called "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles."

Raiders thereby became an episode of "The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones;" a collection of extended TV episodes from the cancelled series, made-for-TV films produced by The Family Channel, and the theatrical features.

In the nearly two decades following its theatrical release, the title was just "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

It was nominated for Oscars!? This changes everything! Someone remind Lucas quick so he can stop these shenanigans! *shakes first at marketing and licensing* Damn them!

Its not like the Cairo swordsman shoots first now.
I'm not even sure what your point is. So in your heart of hearts you still know its really still only called Raiders because of the 'professional source' IMDB? ...okay then, super....

Let me put it another way. Pop in the DVD and see what title comes up onscreen. That is the title of the film. Unlike the sequels, "Indiana Jones" is not part of the title card. It's not in my heart of hearts, it's on the copy of the film you have in your house, even if you bought that copy yesterday.

Will "Batman Begins" be retitled "The Dark Knight Begins" simply to unify it for branding of the trilogy for home video and related consumer products going forward? Who knows, but if the title "Batman Begins" remains on the film itself, then that is the title, whatever the packaging or marketing materials say.

Newer film history books, and significantly, even the fairly recent, definitive analysis of the Indy films, "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones," do not use the altered title, only "Raiders of the Lost Ark." In the recent landmark interview with Spielberg in the New York Times regarding the IMAX release, the film is never referred to by the altered title. Not sure what to tell you - it appears on advertizing and consumer materials, yes, but it not widely known by that altered title (hence the confusion expressed by the thread originator,) and it does not appear on the film itself.

Last edited:
I think George is trying REAL hard to change the tittle to IJ and the..., but raiders isn't like SW where everyone (not fans of course) just referred to every film since the first as SW. With most people you have to be specific and say "wait, what SW are you actually taking about?". He is succeeding With cover art and posters. I personally don't like it and never have. Did any of the VHS releases of the film have this made up tittle on it? I owned all 3 in widescreen and I KNOW the ones I bought didn't. It's only been the DVD releases and there after is that right??

Nope. Not a single one. The title was altered for the 1999 DVD cover and now this IMAX poster and that's it.

Actually, it was a 2003 DVD release and the title was altered for the 1999 VHS release of the Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones.

Who cares what its officialy called, I'm still going to see the IMAX version while its here. :)

Back