Inclusive Edition on next SW 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Khev said:
Sideshow can just lower the edition size by however many people that cancel...

If I read it right, the edition size will be announced shortly after the ordering window. Plus they also offer returns within 30 days so if half the people (scalpers/flippers) return it because of the large edition size they're still stuck with them.

IF they have returns, they can put it on the Second Chance and I'll be happy to get some more. :D

They won't be doing this with everybody, just the major characters. I somehow doubt that Sideshow is going to be stuck with a bunch of leftover Vaders or Fetts when the time comes, regardless of the edition size.

Fritz said:
If I read it right, the edition size will be announced shortly after the ordering window.
They can still do that and just add a "subject to change" at the end of the announcement.

Sideshow: "The exclusive edition size for Darth Maul will be 5,000."

*3,000 people cancel*

Sideshow: "Due to cancellations the exclusive edition size for Darth Maul will now be 2,000."

*3,000 people scramble to ebay*

Khev said:
They can still do that and just add a "subject to change" at the end of the announcement.
Sideshow: "The exclusive edition size for Darth Maul will be 5,000."
*3,000 people cancel*
Sideshow: "Due to cancellations the exclusive edition size for Darth Maul will now be 2,000."
*3,000 people scramble to ebay*

That would have to happen before they begin production though.

tomandshell said:
They won't be doing this with everybody, just the major characters. I somehow doubt that Sideshow is going to be stuck with a bunch of leftover Vaders or Fetts when the time comes, regardless of the edition size.

That may be so but the potential is still there. Then again, 12" Star Wars is a different animal than the rest of their lines so the risk is probably much much less.

Man. i would love to order 2 of everything. What if the buyer wants 2 instead of just missly 1. I think SS should do something about this delema :D

tomandshell said:
But what will be the ratio of major/minor characters? Of the 12" figures that have been announced so far, how many do you think qualify as minor?

I think this is a very smart business decision for Sideshow, they are basically selling on demand to everyone interested in purchasing a particular item and will most likely limit inclusives for select items in select lines such as SW and Indiana Jones (should they acquire that license as if they won't).

It is very difficult to determine Edition sizes for Exclusives with high demand items (who could forsee Kit fisto selling out in 24 minutes?). And this way it is basically open-ended to true Collectors and provides a greater opportunity for any buyers to purchase directly from SSC which is better for them.

These inclusive windows will go on for days, maybe even a week for some items as an Exclusive with a "TBD" Edition size might do, taking the calculated profit margin away from flippers.

Sideshow is doing exactly what they should with these high demand figs IMO by allowing collectors to purchase the item from them, not ebay.

RoboDad said:
But what will be the ratio of major/minor characters? Of the 12" figures that have been announced so far, how many do you think qualify as minor?
One, but the line is brand new. They should be cranking out a higher ratio of major characters right now.

pjam said:
Sideshow is doing exactly what they should with these high demand figs IMO by allowing collectors to purchase the item from them, not ebay.
But that is one of the potential problems with the program, as well. If the items don't hold their value, why should people buy them from Sideshow, when there is a good chance that they will show up on eBay at a significant discount?

First off, I have to admit I have not read this entire thread through - it got very large in a very short period of time. But from what I'm understanding, the gist of it is: Sideshow will make 20,000 of the next Star Wars Exclusive if the demand is there?

That doesn't make sense to me. I can understand using this program to increase the size of the REGULAR edition so everyone who wants one can have one, but the EXCLUSIVE? Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, what's the point of making something exclusive if everyone can get one? Maybe I'm in the minority here (or maybe I'm just not understanding it) but I get the exclusives so I can have something SPECIAL in my collection. And I MAKE TIME to be at my computer or near a phone when it's time to order that exclusive. And if I miss it, then I miss it and I get the regular edition.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because overall, I approve of this new program... I just wish Sideshow would continue to keep their exclusive edition in the 2000 pieces range and let the Inclusive Edition be the regular edition.

If I'm coming across like a raving, uninformed lunatic, feel free to take me down a peg ;)

- J!

RoboDad said:
But that is one of the potential problems with the program, as well. If the items don't hold their value, why should people buy them from Sideshow, when there is a good chance that they will show up on eBay at a significant discount?

I would agree if it was for a PF item, but I can't see this will hold true for a SW Exclusive 12" figure sold for $45. Even if they sell 5000 of these, many will purchase to collect or find them later in the secondary market for fair market value in the first 2 or three waves. Time, popularity and quality will dictate market prices in the years to come (e.g. Human Spike).

As far as holding there value. It's always nice but as long as I get mine and it looks good that's all I give a care about.

tomandshell said:

Yeah, I don't think even the potential is there.

Come to think of it, this isn't really anything new? It's pretty much the same as what they currently do when listing the edition size as TBA.

MicroJow said:
First off, I have to admit I have not read this entire thread through - it got very large in a very short period of time. But from what I'm understanding, the gist of it is: Sideshow will make 20,000 of the next Star Wars Exclusive if the demand is there?

That doesn't make sense to me. I can understand using this program to increase the size of the REGULAR edition so everyone who wants one can have one, but the EXCLUSIVE? Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, what's the point of making something exclusive if everyone can get one? Maybe I'm in the minority here (or maybe I'm just not understanding it) but I get the exclusives so I can have something SPECIAL in my collection. And I MAKE TIME to be at my computer or near a phone when it's time to order that exclusive. And if I miss it, then I miss it and I get the regular edition.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because overall, I approve of this new program... I just wish Sideshow would continue to keep their exclusive edition in the 2000 pieces range and let the Inclusive Edition be the regular edition.

If I'm coming across like a raving, uninformed lunatic, feel free to take me down a peg ;)

- J!

I agree with you why make an exclusive if its not exclusive I can see it for the major guys like Vader and Fett but then again I don't think those need exclusives to begin with.

MicroJow said:

- J!

I have to think they would put some kind of cap on it so we don't end up with 10,000 exclusive Vaders and 500 regular. But then again if 10,000 people want the little extra piece then they should be allowed to get it and if it happens enough maybe down the line there will be no exclusive or regular versions it will just be one figure.

Back