InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I'm sure we will probably see loads more. It's never ending. With that realization you just need to know when's enough enough.
Yea, but that will depend on the individual, what they currently have (if any) and most likely when they got into collecting among other reasons.

To remain within the context of 1/6 Gandalf - one person might've thought the old DiD GtW was enough, another could be the Sideshow GtG, or the Asmus V1 of either, the Asmus crown versions or it could be this InArt one. Heck, if we really want to get wild, maybe someone, somewhere out there feels like the old Toybiz 12" Gandalf figure with rooted hair and beard is good enough. From my own experience, I sold the DiD for the Sideshow 1/6, then sold the sideshow 1/6 for the Sideshow PF. For the longest time, that has been my representation of Gandalf in my collection. But, with the InArt figures, they have me seriously considering selling it along with my other LOTR PFs.

It's easy to say enough is enough when you (in general, not you-you) feel that you have the version of a character in your collection that checks your boxes; but, for others, that same figure could just be the starting point or base figure that's ripe for upgrading. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a relief and overall nice feeling to put a figure to bed that you may have been working on for months if not years and finally say, "yea, this is it!" But, we're all looking for, or rather chasing what not only looks good in our own eyes but what also looks accurate from our own memory and/or feeling when watching the movie and that target will most likely be different for everyone.

Last edited:
this one?

1_a0289c9cc8057a6ef62d28330d4afbc0.jpeg

we have come a long way, that's for sure. This pic deserves reposting until we have more

View attachment 659210
Says a lot that the sculpt and eyes looks good even with the pupils looking dead straight on.

A lot of PER eyes look really wonky when they look directly straight forward even with Hot Toys eyes. You usually want to position them looking a bit more upwards but that doesn't seem to be the case as much with this one.

OnCJNlM.jpg

Yea, but that will depend on the individual, what they currently have (if any) and most likely when they got into collecting among other reasons.

To remain within the context of 1/6 Gandalf - one person might've thought the old DiD GtW was enough, another could be the Sideshow GtG, or the Asmus V1 of either, the Asmus crown versions or it could be this InArt one. Heck, if we really want to get wild, maybe someone, somewhere out there feels like the old Toybiz 12" Gandalf figure with rooted hair and beard is good enough. From my own experience, I sold the DiD for the Sideshow 1/6, then sold the sideshow 1/6 for the Sideshow PF. For the longest time, that has been my representation of Gandalf in my collection. But, with the InArt figures, they have me seriously considering selling it along with my other LOTR PFs.

It's easy to say enough is enough when you (in general, not you-you) feel that you have the version of a character in your collection that checks your boxes; but, for others, that same figure could just be the starting point or base figure that's ripe for upgrading. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a relief and overall nice feeling to put a figure to bed that you may have been working on for months if not years and finally say, "yea, this is it!" But, we're all looking for, or rather chasing what not only looks good in our own eyes but what also looks accurate from our own memory and/or feeling when watching the movie and that target will most likely be different for everyone.
I agree that we're all looking for what pleases us individually and that it may be different for each person, depending on what's available to buy. There happen to be a bunch of Gandalfs and InArt's iteration looks like the definitive version in 1/6 scale, but it's not quite there for me in terms of my preferred representation of the character because I would like him to have a kinder expression and a hint of a smile.

Looks great, except for the hat. The brim really needs to be stiff enough to hold its shape at 1/6 scale. Looks like I'll still be using my old Sideshow plastic hat.
I think it needs more time and patience to make it look good on a figure. And there is always Asmus hat, which is decent for the scale.

Back