In what order do you rate the Indiana Jones Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was too young to see the first 3 Indy films at the cinema.
but was able to watch the fourth instalment at the cinema. :gah:

I know some people dismiss TOD but its my favourite, maybe for its immature, knock about script or maybe just because of the cool mine car scene?

TOD
Raiders
Crusade

Skull

Last edited:
Last Crusade>Raiders of the Lost Ark>Temple of Doom.

Good thing they didn't try to resurrect the franchise twenty years too late for an ill-conceived 50's nostalgia reframing with UFOs, Commies, an elderly cantankerous Indiana Jones and a kid sidekick poorly modelled on Marlon Brando's appearance in 'The Wild One'. That would have been awful.

Good thing they didn't try to resurrect the franchise twenty years too late for an ill-conceived 50's nostalgia reframing with UFOs, Commies, an elderly cantankerous Indiana Jones and a kid sidekick poorly modelled on Marlon Brando's appearance in 'The Wild One'. That would have been awful.

Ah... Thanks exactly what happened! :whip I did'nt hate it,just did'nt like it. Hope they can do better with the next installment.

Whew...crisis averted. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

How tacked-on that would have been. I mean why try to follow Last Crusade's ending? Also the title ''Last Crusade'' is fairly implicit of it being, I dunno, the last film in the series. I'm glad they had more sense than to plan a fourth one.

Were you asleep during the year 2008? ;)

Raiders
Crusade
Temple

. . . and I won't even bother naming the last. It just doesn't rank for me.

Were you asleep during the year 2008? ;)

indy-is-confused.gif

I really wonder if River Phoenix would've done a good job taking over for Harrison Ford. I wonder if that's what the plan was. He was good-looking, a great smart ass, and most importantly, young. My personal opinion is that he would've been great.

My list goes:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Last Crusade
The Temple of Doom
The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

As Pixelpiper said, I don't consider KotCS to be a travesty (although I didn't like it - might just be the snob in me - and Shia LeBouf), even with the REALLY tacky parts, and I REALLY like Temple of Doom (just LOVED The Last Crusade). So basically, I enjoyed all of the Indy movies, it's just that some get more play than others at my place.

Which highlights the fact that we REALLY need a truly great Indy 1/6 figure. I'm totally flabbergasted that no one has done it yet. Sideshow is on the clock.

The one thing i hate in Skull is that Oldy indy is way to soft, should have been like Clint in Unforgiven. Old gruff mean old cowboy, like Harry in cowboys in aliens.

As Pixelpiper said, I don't consider KotCS to be a travesty.

Somebody rep this man! :lecture

The more hate I read about it, the more I actually like it. It's weird considering I hate the prequels to the point of not owning them or having any toys in my collection to represent them. I don't think the two are really on par with one another. I will admit KotCS is probably my least favorite of the four Indy films, but it's still worth having and revisiting once in a while in my opinion. I can't say that for the prequels.

I'm curious to see how my son will view it when he's old enough to watch them all. Which will be his favorite? I went through phases. As a four year old to an eight year old, I loved ToD most. Then until I was thirteen or so, LC was my favorite. Since then RotLA has been top dog and I don't ever see it being dethroned. Is there enough good in KotCS for a kid to ever see it as his favorite? We'll see!

The one thing i hate in Skull is that Oldy indy is way to soft, should have been like Clint in Unforgiven. Old gruff mean old cowboy, like Harry in cowboys in aliens.

Indy's character was neutered in LC. Harrison Ford did a great job reprising the role as he left it in 1989. The one thing I do hate most is that he never once fires his gun....

Indy's character was neutered in LC. Harrison Ford did a great job reprising the role as he left it in 1989. The one thing I do hate most is that he never once fires his gun....[/QUOTE]
He kinda does.... After disarming the russian soldier with his whip and being betrayed my Mac, indy is instructed to drop the gun, which he does and it goes off, shooting one of the soldiers in the foot. :huh

Indy's character was neutered in LC. Harrison Ford did a great job reprising the role as he left it in 1989. The one thing I do hate most is that he never once fires his gun....

He definitely was. It felt like in TLC he played second fiddle to his father much of the time and there seemed to be more of an emphasis comical aspects of his character. I still like TLC a lot but the softening of his character is a bit of an irritant for me, especially after how cutthroat he was in TOD.

My Indy 5 Idea.
Now...this would never happen....but here's how I would "reboot" and end Harrison Ford's Indy:
Imagine (if you will) that everything that happens in Indy & Marion's lives AFTER the lid of the ARK falls from the sky, are ALL IN THEIR HEAD (Last Crusade, Crystal Skull). They've seen their possible lives flash before their closed eyes, while the Ark was sucking the lives and souls from the Nazis. They both feel like they've lived it.
~You can still keep ALL the movies the way they are.
INDY 5: Opens with the Older Indy dying/getting killed and then fade out and into the climactic scene in RAIDERS. The lid falls back on the ARK. Indy & Marion open their eyes. All the Nazi's have melted/vanished, but I & M have aged 35 years.
~Continue.
An aged Indy is back in 1938. Nazis are still scheming. No Mutt. Temple of Doom DID happen.

Last edited:
1 : Raiders of the lost Ark - The original in any series of films has to be the best in my mind. As its the first time you are introduced to characters/franchise. Though some feel not all "first films are the best story" But Raiders probably is the best adventure story with the right mix of action/humour etc.

2: The Last Crusade - Depending on my mood I sometime think this is better than Raiders. Maybe due to having Sean Connery staring :) It captures the fun and adventure from Raiders but also captures the feeling this is Indy's "Swan Song" which it was ..for a time lol

3: Temple of Doom - This starts off well in the night club ( Club Obi Wan ) but tails off and on for me after that. I'm not a fan of the jumping out of the plane in a rubber dingy scene nor the Mining car chase scene. I think they were right to leave these scenes from Raiders and wish they had forgot the idea. It strange that I don't mind the far fetched supernatural elements in the all the films. But the two far fetched stunt scenes do bother me,but there you go lol. But for what ever reason the weaker of the original 3 films.

4: The Crystal Skull - Alot of people seem to hate this film ,I my self do like it. Sometimes even more than Temple of Doom lol . I think the whole E.T story line bothers people . I agree it does not seem to fit Indy's style, but I'm not sure that's my problem with it. The films just feels like its been so long in-between the original 3 films .That something has been lost,some of the magic. Its like the makers/actors were all just too rusty at making a Indiana Jones Movie lol. That said I wish they had made 3 new ones like I think was intended? I did see Harrison Ford interviewed the other year and said he would make anther Indiana Jones Movie in a heartbeat.

Back