IMHO: Sideshow star wars line is dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a quick price check on ebay of figures released in the past year from the line. They have been holding their value for the most part and in some cases increased their going rate. That is a good sign regarding the health of the line. Of course the older figures are going for much cheaper, but that may be in part to their overal lower quality compared to the more recent figs.

As I noted in my thread about re-energizing the line, Sideshow could continually improve but I am glad to see such support for the 1/6th scale offerings. After reading Dave's comments, I can't wait to see what's coming up!

Re: Sideshow star wars line is dead

:slapI haven't read the whole thread - and I hate being the ****** who drops hints but never clarifies - but if you'd seen what I've seen you wouldn't even dream of even considering that Star Wars 1/6 is dead.:emperor

:lsvader

Even without seeing what you have, the hints we've gotten are ver exciting.

Gammorrean Guard in progress
Hammerhead in progress
Greivous a strong possibility
Yoda in development
Max Rebo band in development in the '83 design

While the past year's repeated Trooper offerings may have been a bit visually boring, it seems like things are ramping up towards being offered some of the most awesome and interestingly designs figures in the whole line.

I just did a quick price check on ebay of figures released in the past year from the line. They have been holding their value for the most part and in some cases increased their going rate. That is a good sign regarding the health of the line. Of course the older figures are going for much cheaper, but that may be in part to their overal lower quality compared to the more recent figs.

As I noted in my thread about re-energizing the line, Sideshow could continually improve but I am glad to see such support for the 1/6th scale offerings. After reading Dave's comments, I can't wait to see what's coming up!

The numbers of new figures are much lower... the ES has gone from a high of 10,000 or so to a low of around 2,250. That helps with the resale value, but of course translates to a higher retail price.

If you want perfection and money isn't going to stand in your way, by all means commission Trevor Grove or whoever your favorite sculptor is, hire Josh Small to paint it and Kato E to make the clothes and I bet you will have the best SW figures ever.
It will cost $1200 for each figure but why sacrifice quality for money.

How do you even find that out? Did you somehow contact all these people and ask them?

How do you even find that out? Did you somehow contact all these people and ask them?

Believe it or not, there are people here who commission figures from professionals in the industry who are also here. Those price quotes, while they might seem a bit high, aren't that uncommon once you factor in sculpting, painting, tailoring, everyone's time, shipping, hunting down parts, etc. Especially if most of it has to be custom made.

Pretty much anyone with some customizing experience and commissioning experience can glean at least as much as Anzik posted. So yeah $1200. :horror

LOL @ Neil's addition of "IMHO" to the thread title.

I would like to add my humble opinion that the line is definitely FAR from dead but that some posters may be approaching brain dead.

no way this line is dead. maybe you are jsut not interested in it anymore?

they are getting better imo...the emperor (w/ throne), greedo and rex! :rock :rock :rock

I've been involved in collecting for about ten years now, and by paying attention to the customizing knowledge passed around here and to some extent, rebelscum, you would be amazed at how much you can learn. Combine that with a little math and you get your result.

For example, head sculpts by professional sculptors start at about $500-$600.
I would estimate that Josh Small charges about $50-$65 for a paint job on a head (pure conjecture on my part).
Kato E has stated he would charge about $300 for a leather jacket.
You'll need a base body, say a True type for about $50 shipped, boots, accessories...
It adds up.

The way see it, if he thinks the Star Wars line is dead and he wants to sell them all, then it's his loss and somebody else's gain.
Maybe he is not the Star Wars fan he thinks he is?

For example, head sculpts by professional sculptors start at about $500-$600.

Let's just say its higher than that. I've looked into it from established sculptors here and on other boards and its higher.

In my opinion though, the price is usally justified. I haven't really seen many cases where a quoted price for sculpt work doesn't match the quality of the finished work.

For all of you pathetic hate mongers who are dogging on the merit of this thread.

This thread pulled this quote from Dave.

:slapI haven't read the whole thread - and I hate being the ****** who drops hints but never clarifies - but if you'd seen what I've seen you wouldn't even dream of even considering that Star Wars 1/6 is dead.:emperor

:lsvader

At the point that it pulled that quote from Dave, it became worthy of at least 500 posts before it dies.

Edit - By the way...are some of you guys saying that a professional sculptor is getting at least 500-600 dollars just for sculpting a head for a 1:6 action figure?

If so, maybe a little research might be in order as I have seen people offering those services for 180.00...a sculpt of any person. And the photos of their alleged work are as good as any I have seen. I have even been thinking about making a "Darth Cruel" action figure.

For all of you pathetic hate mongers who are dogging on the merit of this thread.

This thread pulled this quote from Dave.

At the point that it pulled that quote from Dave, it became worthy of at least 500 posts before it dies.

Edit - By the way...are some of you guys saying that a professional sculptor is getting at least 500-600 dollars just for sculpting a head for a 1:6 action figure?

If so, maybe a little research might be in order as I have seen people offering those services for 180.00...a sculpt of any person. And the photos of their alleged work are as good as any I have seen. I have even been thinking about making a "Darth Cruel" action figure.

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that in 99.9% of the cases, you're gonna get what you pay for. The more you spend, the better the sculpt.

Last edited:

Ok, maybe you were to busy 'loving' your hot toys figures to some Barry White music, so I will explain my post to you.

Ambrosoli wrote: "I will not sacrifice quality over quantity and $. Sorry guys. "

The post reflects that cost is not an issue, my reply addressed this concept.

Now onto your comment "Seriously dude grow up. Were talking toys here."
You're telling me to grow up after stating that you are unhappy that the clothes and paint on your dollies aren't up to your standards?

Saying the line is dead isn't offensive, its just idiotic. The line continues to sell fabulously and with Fetts, Yoda, Gammorian, Hammerhead, etc on the horizon and you think the way to ensure it continues is to raise the prices and limit the variety.
There is always room for improvement but that must continuously be balanced against the price. You might be disappointed with their handling of the line but the hundreds, if not thousands of PAYING customers who preorder each new release disagree. But maybe they just don't have that 'special' relationship with their action figures that you do.

Ouch! That hurt! Clearly u have to much time on ur hands!

In my opinion though, the price is usally justified. I haven't really seen many cases where a quoted price for sculpt work doesn't match the quality of the finished work.

Agreed 110% in every private commission I've seen as well as samples, the quality of the work far exceeds the quote even at that price not to mention its unique.

Oh joy. Another witty poster.

Come on this guys insulting me. I just wanted some opinions here. Not to be put down and insulted. I've already apologized for saying the line is "worthless". It was a little strong I admit. I do still have a few sideshow star wars pieces that I love. Insulting someone on a thread like this is a little immature. :cuckoo:

Come on this guys insulting me. I just wanted some opinions here. Not to be put down and insulted. I've already apologized for saying the line is "worthless". It was a little strong I admit. I do still have a few sideshow star wars pieces that I love. Insulting someone on a thread like this is a little immature. :cuckoo:

I could say the same about you and your completely bogus, Chicken Little attack on Sideshow killing their Star Wars license. If you post something that ignorant, expect to be treated as such. :huh

I could say the same about you and your completely bogus, Chicken Little attack on Sideshow killing their Star Wars license. If you post something that ignorant, expect to be treated as such. :huh

Making personal attacks is not same dude. Keep that _____ to urself. What one person likes doesn't mean others will!!

Back