I'm new to this hobby

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah12345

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I was just wondering, if you guys don't mind posting it...

How much do you make, and how much of that do you set aside for collecting stuff?

I think its depends on your mindset. I have never had a problem spending a weeks pay some weeks. Other weeks I save for a rainy day. To me , It depends on what's coming down the pipeline. Some figures are a must to me, and some aren't. Spend what makes you feel good about the hobby, If you feel stressed about paying too much, then don't. Though in a year, you might regret it!:lol

Short answer" I spend too much ":joy

I make enough to live.
Dont realy put money aside just for collectibles, I just know how much I have and how
much I can spend.
I have one rule for my self and that is never buy anything on credit, If I cant aford it
I cant have it.

I earn £2500 a month, but I only spend between £100 and £400 on collectables a month, the rest pays the bills, mortgage or gets put into savings

...... but it depends on what's out there at the time, some months I buy nothing.

i spend about $350 a year buying two 1/6 figure. I am a big guy on quality over quantity so i only buy figures that i am a huge fan of. But this year im scheduled to spend about $1500 because of TDK and IM Hot Toys which are in my top ten list of favorite characters. One of my rules in buying 1/6 figures is that I only buy figures that are "more than human". By this i mean figures that aren't just human looking, figures that have more like batman's costume, or iron man. Superman doesn't cut it because hes just wearing a costume if you kind of get what i am saying. (I dont even like superman).

I have spent $2400 the past year or so on Sideshow products. However I have sold some of my other collection to pay for some of it. Buyers remorse? Sometimes.... But when I see al my Premium Formats I think that it is a great hobby to have.

I make the mad money. I order all my Sideshow stuff while chillin' poolside at my phat palatial Hollywood estate.

Definitely no more than bare middle class. But I budget myself to $1500/year for blowing on whatever I want. Started the budgeting back in 2005 when I caught myself blowing over $5K in 2004. Some years I go a bit over and some I'm way under. Even when I'm over my budget, it's still good because it helps me reign in.

Interesting topic. You guys would be rich if you come to Uruguay :D. I earn 600 dollars a month and with that i can pay my bills, pay rent and buy figures :p. And im not poor or something, 600 bucks is good money here!

Interesting topic. You guys would be rich if you come to Uruguay :D. I earn 600 dollars a month and with that i can pay my bills, pay rent and buy figures :p. And im not poor or something, 600 bucks is good money here!

:horror Ok, im sold, let's all move to Uruguay :lol

For me, I'm a college student so I only work during summer, and maybe christmas since that's a month I can work. I made about $7,500 last year, so around that. I ave to spend a lot for school, (this year I have to put in $3,000 for tuition) plus there's car insurance and stuff (gas) that I have to pay for, books and more. I spend maybe $800 or so a year on collectibles I'm guessing. Probably more this year with the HT TDK figures, plus HT IM and the Indy PF. But that can't be avoided if I want to ever be able to get those things, since if I don't get them now they'll be more difficult to find and more expensive--plus there'll be other things to get.

I buy when I know I can afford to. I put it on a credit card then pay it off when I get the bill. Always use a credit card that will benefit you in some way, like points or money back.

As for how much a make a year, well, I'm not saying cause then everyone would want to marry me!

(not because I'm rich, just because I'm so pitifully po' and they'd feel sorry for me! :lol

I only have a couple rules.

1. Unless I find some super sweet deals, every month I only get 1-2 figures max.
2. I never spend over 150 dollars. (Im gonna have to break that rule tho, damn hot toys)
3. Only buy characters from movies.

Back