Ilum Padme?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They haven't done that with Luke, though, or Leia.

Like Coco said, Hammil's face did change and differed in all 3 films, and in the case of Leia, the Boushh sculpt requires the hair coming down on the sides of here ears so it's best to sculpt that as was done reather than add it on later, SSC seems not to add Sidesburns but sculpt them on. Even Ford looked different among the films, but Portman has looked the same since TPM, B E A UTIFUL. Other than hair and wardrobe, I really don't see much difference between ROTS and TPM, you could easily get away with it, and Trev nailed her portrait, it's a situation where if it's not broke don't fix it. If Jedi Luke's sculpt could have worked for ANH and ESB, I'd have been for reusing that as well.

Have they ever re-used a head mold for any figure in the past (from any line, not including repaints like Sith Anakin)? I can't think of any off hand.

I can't think of any, but from what I've seen there haven't been a great deal of figures to do it with either. Padme'd be a great start though, really, I don't think the face can get any better, and I fear another sculpt would fall short, it'd be perfect just to engineer this head to accommodate a hair piece and recycle it. Then again, this is the only Padme after 2 years of figures; at this rate, they'll be so spread apart people probably won't notice or care abour recycling and will just be content that another Padme is out. Plus, if one is say AOTC and another is TPM with face paint, the paint will change it enough that people won't be caught up in the sculpt looking the same.

Good point about the face paint, although I'm still not convinced about this likeness. Seeing it outside the context of this costume (like with some hair) would help. In the end, though, I really wish we had ANY other Padme than this.

I can't think of any, but from what I've seen there haven't been a great deal of figures to do it with either. Padme'd be a great start though, really, I don't think the face can get any better, and I fear another sculpt would fall short, it'd be perfect just to engineer this head to accommodate a hair piece and recycle it. Then again, this is the only Padme after 2 years of figures; at this rate, they'll be so spread apart people probably won't notice or care abour recycling and will just be content that another Padme is out. Plus, if one is say AOTC and another is TPM with face paint, the paint will change it enough that people won't be caught up in the sculpt looking the same.

The answer is YES. They have reused face sculpts before in previous lines. In The X-Files line, they reused Mulder (suit version to Home version). They also reused face sculpts in the James Bond line. They reused Brosnan (Goldeneye, Die Another Day, Legacy), Connery (Legacy, Goldfinger), Dalton (Legacy, Tuxedo--both from License to Kill), Lazenby (Tuxedo, Blue final battle attack suit), etc. So yes, Sideshow has reused sculpts in other lines.

Cheers,

Brad

Good point about the face paint, although I'm still not convinced about this likeness. Seeing it outside the context of this costume (like with some hair) would help. In the end, though, I really wish we had ANY other Padme than this.

Well so you can judge, here's the proto HS painted before being added to the figure.

4.jpg

I can definitely see the ROTS-era Natalie Portman there. Somehow she looked different in The Phantom Menace, though. Definitely younger, maybe slightly chubbier.

2padme.jpg

I have no issues with the sculpt's likeness.

If Trev was going to tackle Natalie again, I'd like to see his take on ep1 Amidala.

Glad to see they swapped out that silly vinyl suit for a cloth one... not glad to see it didn't help at all. I think a realistic headsculpt and proportions just simply do not work with that outfit. That and the decent Sideshow female body (certainly better than their male body) just isn't good enough to be under a suit that skin tight.

I don't see how you can really fault SSC for the execution. It is accurate to the real world look of the cartoon character, the head sculpt is great. It just goes to show that not all the cartoon art translates well. Asajj DID come out great, but I'm not sure if she originated in the cartoon or the comics first.

Yup. I think most of us can agree that the figure is a nice one... The character design just doesn't fit in with the Star Wars universe and especially not in the 1:6 format. Perhaps a PF would have been better suited?

Yup. I think most of us can agree that the figure is a nice one... The character design just doesn't fit in with the Star Wars universe and especially not in the 1:6 format. Perhaps a PF would have been better suited?

I don't know, I think most feel the figure is poorly done with the recent photos. The underlying body is totally defined now with the ultra tight costume and I think that and the general body shape you now see is turning a lot of people off, not the simplistic design of the character representation.

I'd be thrilled to try her again and get a better likeness.

Trev

Better??? Wow, you're very critical on yourself dude, I can't imagine what more you could do to better the sculpt, but knowing your talents, if you found a way to do something more I'd be blown away!

Yeah I agree with Maulfan, the likeness is 95% Natalie Portman. That 5% is just slightly too large lips.
The only real issue might be proportion size of the head to body, but that might get fixed when the production sculpt shrinks after injection, or when we get a more proportionate female bod.

Fill the cheeks in a little and give her appropriate hair, and it'll make a great Phantom Menace Padme.
Fantastic work Trev!

Back