IKEA Detolf question.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope someone can help -- what are the dimensions of the actual glass shelf? Not the overall dimensions please.

Thanks.
If u need to put your 1/4 statue u can always raise the shelfs just buy one of those plastic thingy in the picture in home depot and stick it on by double sided tape... pretty simple with a big result . makes your statue looks 10 x better with the proper lighting too..

2m4xhr5.jpg

x1c7k3.jpg

I live in Southern CA and yes, the air here is fairly dusty (plus when you vacuum, for example, dust can and does get stirred up, no matter where you live). The gaps in the Detlof door are enough that over time dust does build up. If you want to keep it dust free, my solution is pretty much invisible, won't break down (like foam insulation will) and is inexpensive.

Sean

Why is it a which is better contest? I certainly hope you didnt feel I was stepping on your idea by proposing an alternative one months after yours?
The foam strips will not disintegrate unless you intend to put it a place that would also harm the collection. Also this will work with Besta which suffers similar dust issues. It is barely visible on the detolf and totally invisible in the Besta shelfs and cheap to be had with little effort as it's precut in strips of various thickness

If u need to put your 1/4 statue u can always raise the shelfs just buy one of those plastic thingy in the picture in home depot and stick it on by double sided tape... pretty simple with a big result . makes your statue looks 10 x better with the proper lighting too..

Now that's a great simple fix for shelf height adjustment. Thank you.

The only downside I guess is the fact that the shelf above is now only 10-12" which could be a problem.

OK, for those that check in: what are some good lights to use?

I got some round, positionable LED overhead spots I thought would be great but they're really ugly light, almost "blue".

I don't want to use the Ikea lights as they just get too hot. I'd prefer a warmer light but temperature is a major concern. No melty figures, please.

Please let me know what options you think are good...

Thanks!

Very innovative ideas here.

But is dust really that bad? Are the gaps so big that your figures get dusty fast?

I was going to get two detolfs and leave the two sides facing each other open so I could put SS Jabba across the two cases...but then I suppose dust would really be an issue.

If anyone has two cases together, how big is the gap between shelves?

I have three case side by side and there is no gap between them.

Last edited:
Why is it a which is better contest? I certainly hope you didnt feel I was stepping on your idea by proposing an alternative one months after yours?
The foam strips will not disintegrate unless you intend to put it a place that would also harm the collection. Also this will work with Besta which suffers similar dust issues. It is barely visible on the detolf and totally invisible in the Besta shelfs and cheap to be had with little effort as it's precut in strips of various thickness

No no, I was just offering an alternate method to keep dust out. Your idea of the weather stripping is a good idea too, and one I considered when I was looking for ways to dust proof my cabinets, but I also have some larger 6 foot wide cabinets where anything dark or solid (like weather stripping) would be visible in the center of the glass doors. So I opted for a clear look for them, which also solved by Besta dust issues.

The foam weather stripping will break down (become brittle) after a while. It's just the nature of the polyfoam material used. But it should last quite a while anyway.

Anyway, apologies, I didn't mean to sound like I was saying my method was better or anything.

Sean

Last edited:
I have three case side by side and there is no gap between them.

I don't think he is referring to the gap the top and bottom woodpanel has or not. There is a gap between the two facing glass panels, would be maybe 1"-2" so it will be significant. Great idea to do it this way but not sure how sturdy it would be as the display's rigidness relies greatly on the glass panels.. The metal bars are really not that strong. You might have to tie together the top panel to achieve a stronger combined case. Dust will still get in so you nee to close the gap in the back. It even gets in as it is having only the 5mm gap that exists all around the door panel.

No no, I was just offering an alternate method to keep dust out. Your idea of the weather stripping is a good idea too, and one I considered when I was looking for ways to dust proof my cabinets, but I also have some larger 6 foot wide cabinets where anything dark or solid (like weather stripping) would be visible in the center of the glass doors. So I opted for a clear look for them, which also solved by Besta dust issues.

The foam weather stripping will break down (become brittle) after a while. It's just the nature of the polyfoam material used. But it should last quite a while anyway.

Anyway, apologies, I didn't mean to sound like I was saying my method was better or anything.

Sean

:peace as long as you don't think I am challenging your idea as I see this place as a means to gather ideas
As for the foam strips they are prone to deterioration in it's intended purpose as it will be exposed to a lot of heat/cold/moisture/dryness and pressure. However in the environment of our display cases where we avoid all of the above for the sake of our collection I am fairly confident these will do fine for a long time

Hey guys what do you think of this one?
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10011055
Will it do the job for displaying collectibles?

Thanks.

In case you still didn't have the answer, yes. The Detolf is probably the most popular case on this board.

What's the deal with this step? IT shows you screwing in these big round circular things to the top, but they never re-appear in the illustrations (or any Detolf I've seen on here). Also, the holes to screw them in don't exist.

Is this a step from an older model or something?

In case you still didn't have the answer, yes. The Detolf is probably the most popular case on this board.

What's the deal with this step? IT shows you screwing in these big round circular things to the top, but they never re-appear in the illustrations (or any Detolf I've seen on here). Also, the holes to screw them in don't exist.

Is this a step from an older model or something?

thats the bottom of the Detolf . when you build it , it makes you build it upside down . there are pilot holes for the screws for the feet .

Ahhh, that makes sense. I should have known from how well it was explained by those two happy blob men putting it together :rotfl

Thanks.

I just went to but one of these on the Ike's site and it said that it's sold out from every store and they don't when it will be available. :impatient: Not sure what to do. I wanted a cheap, affordable display case to hold my new Ht Jack Sparrow when it comes and some of my other collectibles that need a place to call home. Has anyone seen this with IKEA before? To buy it of there site will cost me $199 in shipping. :cuckoo: That's crazy!

SNSGUY

A friend of mine was having trouble finding these in store recently as well. Not sure what's going on there. Luckily he found someone local on Craigslist selling 4 of them for $25 a pop! :horror

My friend was also having a problem - he went to Ikea to try and buy a few Detolfs recently and they said that there was a recall on the detolf from their latest batch of cabinets , maybe thats why they are sold out everywhere.

Craigslist listt is really the best place to buy, I got 6 and they are cheap!!

I called the nearest IKEA and they said I need to call back on Sunday. The last shipment of the detolfs that they got were on May 8th. I hipe they get them in real soon.

I've been looking on craigslist list haven't had any luck.

SNSGUY

Back