Ikea Detolf Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say abandon ship. As great as they are, half the lure is because ikeas are supposed to be readily accessible and these shelves are inexpensive. For the time and costs associated with shipping, I would start looking locally for nicer curios...

yep totally agree on that one. though they're packed decently, by no means are they meant to be shipped and the cost shipping would make these very expensive with a 75% chance something would end up broken.

WOW, great feedback "freaks", thanks!

Well I know what I want, just got bad news though and I need more help if you can.

So I just got off the phone with Ikea in Sacramento, CA and they won't do a phone order and ship them to me. They said they would let my family member (of course) come there and buy them for me and then said family member could ship them to me. I was hoping I didn't have to put someone to the trouble you know? BUT I HAVE TO HAVE THESE CASES! Haha.

So, a new question for you would be, what do they come packaged like? The lady I spoke with said it was standard fair of being in a box but she brought up a good point that the reason they don't ship them is because they are mostly glass. Do you "freaks" think that if my family member bought them and shipped them to me in ID (not in Canada btw, Idaho) that they wouldn't require any additional packaging?

If so, is there a service you know of or would recommend for handling something this big? They are 5ft 4inches long when wrapped up in a box. I'm not sure I want to make a family member go to the trouble with doing this for me and then have to wait at the post office so maybe UPS or FedX?

What do you think?

Thanks again for all the help!

i'm guessing the closest ikea is quite aways from you. i don't think ikea goes into any city's with less than 500,000 to 1,000,000 people either living in it, or in the surrounding area.

time for a roadtrip man. how far away is the nearest IKEA from you?

Too far, would probably be better to just have my family member ship it when you consider what I would pay in gas there and back. Portland, Seattle and California are all close.

i'm guessing the closest ikea is quite aways from you. i don't think ikea goes into any city's with less than 500,000 to 1,000,000 people either living in it, or in the surrounding area.

Yeah that's the thing, it's like 85% glass, which is why I like it, but that's probably not going to ship super well.

I'll tell you what, if I take a roadtrip or plan on going to one of those cities I'm driving and with limited luggage, haha. I don't care if the kids have to stay in that state, the damn Detolf's are coming home with me!

I love 'em, but I had to wait 3 years here in Florida before I could get them.

DSC07300.jpg

I have six of the detolf cases, they are a good buy and look great. The only draw back the shelves are not adjustable. Standard bust and small statues will not look good in them. The best find I've done would be looking into Store going out of business sales. I have gotten 4 top of the line display curios valued at $1,700.00 dollars each. (look at them in my home picture album). Check also Thrift Stores, Flea Markets, And yellow pages under used store fixtures, great buy here. I hope that will help you, It has helped me.

I have six of the detolf cases, they are a good buy and look great. The only draw back the shelves are not adjustable. Standard bust and small statues will not look good in them. The best find I've done would be looking into Store going out of business sales. I have gotten 4 top of the line display curios valued at $1,700.00 dollars each. (look at them in my home picture album). Check also Thrift Stores, Flea Markets, And yellow pages under used store fixtures, great buy here. I hope that will help you, It has helped me.

Hey thanks for the reply and good ideas there. I guess the hunting begins. Hit a consignment place today and if I want an old cherry wood cabinet that smelled like old socks that would have been the place to get it....um pass.

Going to hit the monstrosity of RC Willey tonight but I'm sure I'm only going to find cherry wood curios for $2K a piece or something.

Damn you Ikea....damn you for the $57 display case! Argghhh!

Sorry man....but you definitely dont want these shipped, almost guarantee there is some broken glass by the time it gets to you. Here is one of mine in black.

DSCN0207.jpg

Sorry man....but you definitely dont want these shipped, almost guarantee there is some broken glass by the time it gets to you. Here is one of mine in black.

DSCN0207.jpg

Yeah thanks for the info, I think I've decided to pass on the Ikea Detolf's. Unless I decide to take a roadtrip to OR or something.

Found a couple of black display cases at RC Willey's last night, of course they were $450 and $500. $57 sounds a lot better! :)

BTW, what is that Batman figure you have in your case? Very cool looking.

Yeah thanks for the info, I think I've decided to pass on the Ikea Detolf's. Unless I decide to take a roadtrip to OR or something.

Found a couple of black display cases at RC Willey's last night, of course they were $450 and $500. $57 sounds a lot better! :)

BTW, what is that Batman figure you have in your case? Very cool looking.

Its the kotobukiya dark knight statue...like this one

https://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-VINYL-S...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efbdc62bf

I haven´t a Detolf yet.
Just want to ask if it could be used for the Legendary Scale Busts?
I´m planing on putting them in a Detolf. But I´m afraid, that the weight of the busts is to much for the glas bottoms.
Does anyone of you have experience of putting them in there?

I haven´t a Detolf yet.
Just want to ask if it could be used for the Legendary Scale Busts?
I´m planing on putting them in a Detolf. But I´m afraid, that the weight of the busts is to much for the glas bottoms.
Does anyone of you have experience of putting them in there?

Hallo Benny86! .... also Detolf kann ich Dir unbedingt empfehlen, erstens sind die sehr günstig, sehr stabil gebaut und sehen schick aus. Du kannst locker Deine LSB`s im Detolf unterbringen, ich habe meine Premium Format Figuren darin, und die sind in der Regel deutlich schwerer als die Legendary Scale Busts. Jeder Glasboden im Detolf ist von Ikea bis 6kg Gewicht freigegeben, somit kein Problem!

Gruß
Marco

Hallo Benny86! .... also Detolf kann ich Dir unbedingt empfehlen, erstens sind die sehr günstig, sehr stabil gebaut und sehen schick aus. Du kannst locker Deine LSB`s im Detolf unterbringen, ich habe meine Premium Format Figuren darin, und die sind in der Regel deutlich schwerer als die Legendary Scale Busts. Jeder Glasboden im Detolf ist von Ikea bis 6kg Gewicht freigegeben, somit kein Problem!

Gruß
Marco

Hi Marco. Hab das mit den 6 kg auch schon bei Ikea im Internet gelesen. Wollte mich hier nur absichern. Nicht das die irgendwann mal abschmieren und alles im Eimer is. Da hätte ich nicht ruhig schlafen können. :D Werd mir dann am Wochenende mal zwei von den Detolfs besorgen. Danke für deine Rückmeldung.

....Du wirst lachen ging mir auch so, hab erst mal hier das halbe Forum durchstöbert und geschaut wer wieviel Gewicht auf die Glasböden stellt:D
hab nun 6Detolfs mit unterschiedlichen Gewichten bestückt und kann Dich wirklich beruhigen, da kann nix passieren!

Übrigens mach mal Bilder von Deiner Sammlung, da sind ja Hammerteile dabei:cool: ... ich sag nur Predator Life Size:D

Back